Any tutorials on walking animation for Dinosaurs?

dinosaurmad87dinosaurmad87 Posts: 114
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi everyone I am really struggling to get my Dinosaur to walk in the correct way I've tried so much but I'm litterally at my wits end with it now.
Has anybody got any tutorials on how to do a walking animation? I'm using the Cryolophosaurus model from DinoRaul and I'm using daz studio 4 pro.

Chears, Ian.

Comments

• UVDanUVDan Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

Find a video of an animal walking. You will notice that the right rear and left front work together and that the right front and left rear work together. That is how I got going on my milcat walk cycle.

nickismall.gif
    400 x 400 - 492K
  • dinosaurmad87dinosaurmad87 Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Chears I'll give this ago, do you also know of any tutorials of an animal walk cycle as that would help alot.

edited December 1969

I am sorry, but I know of no tuts. When I started my milcat walk project I was in the same position. Use basic animation principles and realize that if you make a mistake, that you can delete the keyframe. I would work on one set of two legs at a time. Right front and left rear for example. You can add the head and neck and tail movements after you have gotten the leg movements down. Here is a link to a slow motion of a horse walking on youtube. This should help a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC6kj0sqEjs&playnext=1&list=PLFD8F40F93378FFC3&feature=results_video

edited December 1969

Thanks for the link I'll take a look at it.
    That's a shame you'd a thought there would of been wouldn't you. I've noticed the Dinosaur joints are abit more complex to more than small animals do you know anyone who has done a dino animation at all or not?

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

I'll take a look thanks for the help

edited December 1969

Hi I've been trying on this walk cycle and still having trouble, I've been using each leg 1sec a frame as each large Dino would take that lengh of time to place it's foot on the ground.
    I have actually seen an aniblock pack that has walking and running for a dragon 2 legs and 4 legs animation, do you recon that would work for a Dinosaur model?

Chears, Ian.

edited December 1969

I love aniblocks! They would probably work depending on how close the dinosaur bones are to the dragon's bones.

edited December 1969

Right I'll give that ago then.
    I have some good news I've mastered 1 step of the walk animation but for some strange reason when I start to move the 2nd leg and animate and replay it both legs seem to move at the same time at not when they are supose to. How did you do it on your cat animation without this issue?

Chears, Ian.

edited December 1969

Without a movie or at least some screen shots of your setup, I cannot begin to guess what the problem might be.

edited December 1969

for some reason it won't let my post a video clip it keeps sticking on the load section any chance you can send me your email address through a PM and I send it you that way be alot easier 4 me, chears.

edited December 1969

You are having a problem because you are trying to do keyframe animation on the ANIBLOCK TIMELINE. You need to bring up your DAZStudio animation timeline and do your keyframing there. The aniblock timeline is only for working on the aniblocks.

animation_timeline.jpg
    800 x 579 - 103K
    edited December 1969

Chears, I've replied to your email you sent me :) is this timeline where you can create your own aniblocks too as well as just doing animation?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Here's a old one I did using DS to set up animation and rendered in Carrara - link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkTlOUitVhY&feature=share&list=UUSDQPl5q0QoWh0fIj9dXMpg

edited December 1969

Yes you can make an aniblock out of the daz timeline animation.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Here's a old one I did using DS to set up animation and rendered in Carrara - link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkTlOUitVhY&feature=share&list=UUSDQPl5q0QoWh0fIj9dXMpg

That looks very nice.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

UVDan said:
    bigh said:

That looks very nice.

thank you :-)

edited December 1969

Thanks for the help I should be ok with it now if not I'll let you all know :)

edited December 1969

Here is my video tut on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRHo486w8U&feature=youtu.be

Sorry for the rambling, but I hope you will get the message. Watch it in 720pHD or it will look like crap.

edited December 1969

Chears for that Dan, this should help alot :) 1 last question about the walk cycle is there any way of doing a running cycle by using that same animation or would I have to do it all over again but just in shorter frames?

Chears, Ian.

edited December 1969

There should be a way you can retime it but I do not know it. I make repeating gifs in Paint Shop Pro Animation Shop and I can do a little retiming there, but yeah you should be able to retime in DAZ somewhere.

jumpy_animation_walk400.gif
    400 x 400 - 780K
    edited December 1969

Ok then thanks for the info I'll see what I can do when I've done the animation, see how it looks :)