My Wish List for DAZ3D

jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Let's get something straight - I love playing with 3D modeling, even though I've barely scratched the surface. Without D/S being freely available, I'd never have been able to on my budget. There are many wonderful products out there, both free and paid, and I've never had a problem with them so far.

That said, there are things I wish for, both within the D/S program and on the website. I wish there were a comprehensive user guide available, complete with working image links and tutorials for every function. The users here in the forums have been very patient and helpful, but sometimes a proper tutorial (or several) would save a great deal of time and frustration. I understand that, given the free nature of D/S, some areas will not be as well-supported as a paid-for program. I'm just disappointed that it's so difficult for me to grasp simple functions because of the lack of proper tutorials.

I wish there were more consistency in the store when it comes to products on sale - it's a bit frustrating to see products advertised as being part of a sale but not actually qualifying for any discount.

I wish there were a better way of organizing content within D/S. I have a lot of items I rarely use that I have to sort through while looking for more frequently used content. A better way to organize this would be most welcome.

Lastly, a more consistent presence by DAZ on the forums might help smooth over much of the bad blood that seems to be out here in regards to customer service. I haven't had any issues with my purchases, but I must admit it makes me nervous to see so many dissatisfied customers having the same issues with customer service.

I'm trying not to whine here. D/S has helped me realize many artistic ideas I've had for a long time, and I've just scratched the surface. But I think it could be so much better. Just my two cents worth... :)

Jerriecan

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited December 1969

I just want more goodies for M5. And a Genesis santa. =-)

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

For the store to work properly.
    For all sale items to have an ending date.
    For all content to have the release date so we can know if the product is 60 days old or not.
    For all downloads to have the file size listed on the product page and in the download page.
    For DAZ to be more informative by being more involved in forum discussions.
    For the forum to work properly. (actually this is almost there).
    For DAZ to let us know when the site is having problems rather than the members personal computer, settings, internet provider or browser seemingly always the cause according to other members or moderators (this should probably be number one because it seems to cause conflict between members and moderators).

I am sure I could think of many other things, but this is my list for right now.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552
    edited December 1969

Since the whole time I have been at DAZ I have rarely had any issues with the store, the forums or the staff, so basically what I want is DS5 with more detailed mesh smoothing/collision and non opitex dynamic clothing function and carrara's lighting and shader system.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

I've never personally had any major issues with the store so that isn't on my list. Sales staff have always been helpful when I needed something fixed.

I would also like to see a non optitex dynamic clothing and I'm hanging out for one of the hair programs to finally be available in the store.

Oh and one more thing...I really want to be able to get the teen shapes! I feel like I've been waiting a long time since Thorne posted in the Luke and Laura thread...

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 2012

Like Pendraia, I have not experienced any bad service, or store problems. The forums, other than a few security snafus (fixed by DAZ with great attention, thank you DAZ), have been relatively good in my experience.

Wants:

*DAZ to purchase outright, and implement into DAZ Studio one of the hair plugin systems on the horizon.
    *DAZ to purchase a full dynamics cloth system (including "clothify", and create your own), and implement into DAZ Studio. Or, create a DS bridge to Marvelous Designer cloth system.
    *DAZ to purchase outright Reality plugin, and implement into DAZ Studio.
    *DAZ to purchase outright any other plugins that should be implemented into Studio, so we don't have to a) wait for author to update plugin to be compatible with new DS releases (if ever), and b) so we never have that issue to begin with in the first place.

AND, lastly:

***Hire back zigraphix (and anyone else involved) to finish a fully completed, and comprehensive manual detailing ALL the ins and outs of DAZ Studio!

*EDIT: Changed zilvergraphix to zigraphix. I meant zigraphix, and her wonderful work with the docs up until DAZ canceled any further work.

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 2012

I'd much rather have an Oxygen plugin then Reality. An expansion on Go functions, like GoBlender would be nice. What I would like most though is an optional folder structure that allowed keeping all of the parts, obj, textures, support metadata files, etc for a given product in a single folder so packaging an item for sale, adding a purchased item to the content etc... would be straightforward (batch processing purchased zips into one's content would be a snap.) It would also be nice if they separated any path type data into a separate sidecar file from the tag type metadata and go to an xml structure for the metadata to simplify interacting with it.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

jerriecan said:

I wish there were a comprehensive user guide available, complete with working image links and tutorials for every function..........

That would be a super Christmas present!!

edited December 2012

Mari-Anne:

Yes, it would be.

I'm guessing Christmas, 2016.

(did I win...)

Gedd:

My search-fu sucks today, and I can't seem to find Oxygen (I assume renderer?). I found many Oxygen items, but not what I think you are referring to.

Can you please supply a link. I would very much like to check it out. Thank you...

Oh, and I agree with a Go-Blender as well. Almost listed it myself. Forgot that is what DAZ is calling their 3rd party bridge system.

We need:

*Go-Blender
    *Go-Marvelous Designer
    *Go-Wings3D
    *Go-Carrara (or, direct bridge like Hexagon, and Bryce)

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Sorry, Octane ;p

edited December 1969

O.K., Octane...

That one I know.

No wonder I couldn't find any Oxygen 3D renderer. I thought you found a newfangled software I was unaware of.

Thanks for the correction.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

GoGIMP

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

I think what everybody is trying to say is - "Release The Millennium Cow!"

edited December 1969

I knew it was you Sockratease who posted that when I seen the ebot in my email. lol

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Havent they already done that..; )

cow.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 135K
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

I'd like to see an option in the store for flagging individual products so you don't see them anymore (like stuff you don't intend to buy or already have bought). Would save you from browsing through a lot of stuff you don't care about anyway (which for many people probably would be 75% of it all or more, I imagine).

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    I'd like to see an option in the store for flagging individual products so you don't see them anymore (like stuff you don't intend to buy or already have bought). Would save you from browsing through a lot of stuff you don't care about anyway (which for many people probably would be 75% of it all or more, I imagine).

That is an absolutely fantastic idea.

• 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    Taozen said:

That is an absolutely fantastic idea.

And I want that capacity at the mall, wal-mart and the grocery store too!

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Like Pendraia, I have not experienced any bad service, or store problems. The forums, other than a few security snafus (fixed by DAZ with great attention, thank you DAZ), have been relatively good in my experience.

Wants:

*DAZ to purchase outright, and implement into DAZ Studio one of the hair plugin systems on the horizon.
    *DAZ to purchase a full dynamics cloth system (including "clothify", and create your own), and implement into DAZ Studio. Or, create a DS bridge to Marvelous Designer cloth system.
    *DAZ to purchase outright Reality plugin, and implement into DAZ Studio.
    *DAZ to purchase outright any other plugins that should be implemented into Studio, so we don't have to a) wait for author to update plugin to be compatible with new DS releases (if ever), and b) so we never have that issue to begin with in the first place.

AND, lastly:

***Hire back zilvergraphix (and anyone else involved) to finish a fully completed, and comprehensive manual detailing ALL the ins and outs of DAZ Studio!

To get your wishes fulfilled, how much are you willing to invest in DS?

Purchasing all the plugins (providing the vendors even want to sell) would push it out of the free category.

edited December 1969

I edited my post...

I meant zigraphix for the manuals.

You bring up a very good point, icprncss. Perhaps none of the plugin authors would be willing to sell, but it would alleviate them from having to update their code every time DAZ changes their base code.

I think I misspoke. I should have said purchased the rights to use the code, and continue updating the code to work with all new versions of Studio.

More in line with whatever licensing agreement they have with 3Delight, or like the code licensing Poser has with Singular Inversions for the face generator engine in the Face Room, and Size 8 Software for the dynamics cloth engine in the Cloth Room.

That's my wish (and wants).

I would like to add:

*DAZ to hire Casual to code a fully functional sculpting/"putty" plugin (his was almost there), and license of it's use in DS.
    *And, why he's at it, he could probably code a 3D painting plugin to go along with it as well.

Now, what would I be willing to invest?

The price of DAZ Studio Pro, of course. (DS Pro 5 could be pretty sweet)

Or, a comparable price in line with Poser Pro series.

Hell, I will even go as high as Carrara Pro. I just prefer to work in DS, though...

As far as pushing it out of the "free" category. Well, I will just have to disagree. DAZ can always still give away their crippled software to those who don't wish to pay for all the bells and whistles.

I just want the production studio the best it can be, and we all know there are a few things that are holding it back just a little bit.

• edited December 2012

Hi all
    Never had issue with Daz site, so here is a suggestion : bring back the file size for downloads!

- since some time (when ???), when I download a product, there is no indication of the file size in my account - download list- or navigator, probably since the last DAZ site update.
    That's a big problem if I'm not at home, because I have a limited connexion on travel, and have to pay extra Mb. For a few Mb it doesn't matter, but when it reaches more than 10-20Mb...aouch! As I don't want to see the little wheel turn, turn waiting for the good or bad surprise when it's finished, that means I have to give up and miss the free items or special low price offers :-/

edit : hey, rated here as "new member?"...well, I don't post much, but, since 2005...another weirdness. I was PC member for many year, maybe it's why I'm now back to newbie/simple mortal? lol!

Post edited by lilig17_f9707b69e3 on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

LiliG said:
    Hi all
    Never had issue with Daz site, so here is a suggestion : bring back the file size for downloads!

- since some time (when ???), when I download a product, there is no indication of the file size in my account - download list- or navigator, probably since the last DAZ site update.
    That's a big problem if I'm not at home, because I have a limited connexion on travel, and have to pay extra Mb. For a few Mb it doesn't matter, but when it reaches more than 10-20Mb...aouch! That means I have to miss the free items or special low price offers :-/

This program can show you the file sizes, just select (check) the files you want to know the size of. check the "Get file sizes only" box, and click the Start button.

http://taosoft.dk/software/3dcondo/

• edited December 1969

Ah, thank's for the info, I'll try this one ;-)
    Sure, external downloaders can do that, but sometimes it creates problems - I used speed download and it was random success for many sites.
    But it could also be in the "download" list as it was before on Daz site, don't see why they removed it.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Santa for generation 4 figures and Genesis.