ot: beyblades?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited December 2012 in The Commons

?? beylades?

seems to be a hot toy. never seen one before

http://www.amazon.com/Beyblades-JAPANESE-Fusion-Quetzalcoatl-125RDF/dp/B005TKMCMU

it says for 3 years and up.

appears to be spinning tops ... i don't understand

Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

They are from the Japanese manga and anime called BeyBlade, in which teams of kids take part in tournaments using battling spinning tops. If you look BeyBlade up in Google there are lots of clips of the anime showing how this works. The series is about 10 years old and has been showing on US cartoon channels for a long time.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

thanks. i looked it up on utube and saw some tournament clips.

i guess, this is the next thing after the pokemon card games?

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 674
    edited December 1969

Hmmm (just my opinion here but...) I thought it was a lame toy back in the 80s when they called them Spinjas... Sure beyblade has customization of the tops but other than that the similarities are pretty close. To be honest some kids can have fun with those but then when I was a kid at my grandmothers I had fun playing with old product packaging and old toys that were thirty years old back then. You might investigate on if other kids are playing with them otherwise it may be hard to find someone to do it with because some games and toys are really boring when done alone.

edited December 1969

I think they already have been the next thing, and probably peaked worldwide in the mid 2000s when they were one of the world's best-selling toys (apparently). I think it depends what country you are in though. I noticed in the UK that a supermarket chain was recently selling them at knock-down prices, which probably means they are pretty much over here.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 2012

I have found most children enjoy illegal fireworks as a gift more than Beyblades... It's really misleading too, there are no real blades on then... nothing sharp and dangerous. How is a kid supposed to have fun with that? If you really want a great toy, get them a set of vintage lawn darts or a small chainsaw. I used to have so much fun with my Fisher Price "Evil Lil' Bastard" chainsaw... too bad so many kids cut off stuff with them and they stopped making them... man, the 60s were so cool.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i was partial to the ez bake oven. there was cake at the end of all the effort.

edited December 1969

But no earth shattering KABOOM!... besides I'm not sure that stuff ever really baked completely. My cousin used to make those little treats, they were pretty horrible... I'd rather let my girls use the Really Bakes Oven (DIBS! I'm making that one!... Thats my next model), if they want to make baked treats... besides it has enough room for the extra portion for the Daddy Tax ( 10% of all treats and consumable goodies, such as Halloween candies and bake sale items must be paid to the resident father upon entering his established territorial borders).

edited December 1969

I have found most children enjoy illegal fireworks as a gift more than Beyblades... It's really misleading too, there are no real blades on then... nothing sharp and dangerous. How is a kid supposed to have fun with that?

Absolutely, yet there are still countless complaints that these toys are dangerous. Someone complained that a beyblade had scratched their glasses! Please come back when one has taken your eye out.

I was also very disappointed to discover that rollerblades were not fitted with actual blades. This is another appalling misuse of the word blade and there should be some kind of consumer law preventing it.

But at least they couldn't stop me opening up electrical appliances while they were still switched on or from jamming bare wires into electrical outlets for my experiments.

edited December 1969

Really... scratched their glasses? How does that even happen? Unless one is laying on the floor staring at the spinning device up close or it gets thrown at you... in which case pretty much anything is dangerous if you throw it hard enough... if I were to throw Barbie at someone really hard it could scratch their glasses... hell, you could probably stab someone with her if you tried hard enough... BARBIE is dangerous!
    I joke around about dangerous toys, but it just kills me when stupid people go out of their way to injure themselves with a relatively benign object and then blame their stupidity on the design, yet when everything in the world ends up having to be made out of foam rubber because of them, they are always the first to complain.
    Likewise you'll have the manufacturer who makes a doll out of radioactive asbestos cloth and fills it with broken glass and rusty razor blades and then claims its perfectly safe if played with correctly...
    Never a happy middle ground.

I started making the "Really-Bakes Oven"... hopefully I'll finish it before x-mas... I'm making a box for it too, so it could be used in a render with open presents...

ReallyBakeOven1.jpg
    869 x 684 - 68K