Copy and paste object

2getit2getit Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

How do you copy and paste an object in the scene? I'm selecting Copy selected Item then paste to selected item and its not working.

Comments

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 2012

I think,,it can copy and transfer poze and shape.

so it can not work as you hope,, when you select genesis and select copy from top menu or short cut key,
    then paste.

when load two genesis (or prop etc) in the scene,
    you can copy genesis 1 poze and shape, tehn can paste(transfer) it genesis(2)

so you need to load two same object or same figure in the scene to use copy and paste of top menu,,,

there is no way,, just copy and paste (it means load copied figure in the scene,I think,,)

but there is node instance.

may you try and check,,
    select genesis or prop, then from top menu create>node instance or node instances..

they can only copy the figure or prop shape as instance, so you can not poze them,
    butrotate or change scale or translate them.. you may understand easy how it work,,

maybe it is useful to make crowd scene,, or,, forest etc I think.

or,, save the item as scene subset from top menu, then load. It seems easy way

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

2getit said:
    How do you copy and paste an object in the scene? I'm selecting Copy selected Item then paste to selected item and its not working.

It was never possible to do that in DAZ Studio. You can do what kitakoredaz says and use Create > New Node Instance, but when you pose one, the other one will pose as well.

The usual way to do it is to Merge a pre saved figure from the File menu. You can add as many as you need that way (one at a time though)

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

You can also use a geometry shell (found under the same menu as node instance). The advantage is that the geometry shell can be posed differently from the figure it copied, whereas the node instance can't.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    You can also use a geometry shell (found under the same menu as node instance). The advantage is that the geometry shell can be posed differently from the figure it copied, whereas the node instance can't.
    It should be noted however, that shells are parented automatically to the base figure, and changing it causes the model to vanish as it relies on the parent for its geometry. They are also slightly larger than their counterparts, as they're intended to cover the original figure.
    edited December 1969

How do you pose the geometry shell differently, I can't find any way to do that? The UV Set can not be changed either, so you are stuck with the original skin map.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    It should be noted however, that shells are parented automatically to the base figure, and changing it causes the model to vanish as it relies on the parent for its geometry. They are also slightly larger than their counterparts, as they're intended to cover the original figure.but the offset can be reduced to 0
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

How do you pose the geometry shell differently, I can't find any way to do that? The UV Set can not be changed either, so you are stuck with the original skin map.
    Hmm, you're right only works for props, not for figures. :-S
    edited December 1969

I couldn't get it to work on figures at all, but I am not really clear on what the concept is anyway.

Thanks Dave.

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508
    edited December 1969

maybe save as scene subset and load that.
    not on my daz pc so cant checK if it keeps the pose atm

edited December 1969

You can save a complete character as a Scene Subset. It asks you what you want to save in the scene, and it will save the character with hair and clothing complete with pose if you tell it to. It only takes a few seconds to load, and DS creates a thimbnail for it as well.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

FYI, DAZ Studio now has some copying options:
    Edit > Duplicate > Duplicate Heirarchies
    Edit > Duplicate > Duplicate Node(s)

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

FYI, DAZ Studio now has some copying options:
    Edit > Duplicate > Duplicate Heirarchies
    Edit > Duplicate > Duplicate Node(s)

The copies render differently though.......my G2F copies look like shiny plastic...........hmmmm could be useful!

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
    edited December 1969

You can save a complete character as a Scene Subset. It asks you what you want to save in the scene, and it will save the character with hair and clothing complete with pose if you tell it to. It only takes a few seconds to load, and DS creates a thimbnail for it as well.

Yes, that is what I do. It works well. Handy to move a complete character out of a scene to use in another without having to redo all the clothes etc (if you didn't save a scene separate with them)