DS and Hexagon can't make a simple hole?

tonym1972tonym1972 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

What I'm trying to do, is use 1 object to create a hole in a 2nd object (think making doors and windows in a wall).

So
Step 1, I create the 2 objects in DS.
Step 2, I send them to Hexagon, and use the Boolean tool to cut 1st from 2nd.

Which leads to the first question, why is Hexagon acting as if I also wanted to merge coplanar faces (which I suspect is the cause of every other problem!)?

Step 3 I send it back to DS, which decides the hole is covered by a plane on both sides.
Step 4, bash head against desk, search forums, finally in desperation start using random options.
Step 5, rejoice that "create n-gons" solves the original problem and now I have an object with a hole in that DS doesn't want to keep filling.
Step 6, scream as if my soul were being ripped assunder as n-gons create edges in whats supposed to be a flat surface that DS now decides must be shadowed.

Which leads to the 2nd question, Is it really supposed to be this difficult and frustrating to subtract 1 shape from another?

Step 7, decide I can maybe live with that, and if I say "its added character and age, and I didn't need to be creative with the texture" often enough, I can continue.
Step 8, get really brave, and try subtracting 2 objects from 1
Step 9, Wonder just why hexagon felt the need to create an internal edge between those 2 new holes.
Step 10 Search forums, and wonder am i really the only person thats needed to cut a hole in a wall for a door and some fancy window frames?

Which leads us to the final question, am I doing something wrong (well clearly I am, this just seems to easy a task to be causing this much frustration)?, if so what? and is there a better way to make holes in objects?

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 2012

The only thing I could suggest, though I haven't tried it with Hex, is to create the object with the Boolean tool in Hex, and then send it to DS. I have a feeling Hex doesn't know what you really want to do with the two objects since it didn't create the objects.

Of course, as I said before, I haven't tried it in Hex, but that seems to me to be the way to do it. Perhaps someone who has done it in Hex can give you more clarification.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

No, you really aren't doing anything wrong...just running up against the limitations of the type of modeling you are doing and the software you are using. I don't use Hex often enough to know if there is a way to do what you are wanting...other than one vertex/face at a time.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

It's a problem of bad geometry caused by the way the different programs handle booleans.

Tutorial on creating Booleans with good geometry.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

not worry,, there is one more user, who can not use boolean well ,,,,^^;

I just try it,,by make sphere and Cylinder in hexagon, then use boolean, and cut .

(usually,, you may need not create primitive object in ds 4.5 if you will send them to hexagon,,
    and modify,, ,, I believe ^^;)

then weld vertices around cross edges.
    not bad,, nice looking,, nice boolean shape ^^; It is easy?!

so I export it as obj,then improt it to ds 4.5.. he he,,, I can not,,

I checked surface,, normal,, or not,, but where is problem?

I check it on blender too, it keep perfect boolean shape.
    (though I missed scale when export form hexagon,, ^^; it is usuall for me)

booleands.JPG
    698 x 476 - 41K
    boolean.JPG
    682 x 445 - 19K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

The answer is, don't use Booleans.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Simple Solution >>>>>>> USE BRYCE !!!!!!!!!

Cheers
    GG

edited December 2012

Bryce is one of the few programs that works with Booleans half decently. However, objects don't export cleanly that have been constructed with booleans usually. So mostly good if one plans to stay inside the Bryce environment.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I can not do ti well what I plan,, ^^;

I know, need to divide the joint part surfaces , by more edge and vertices, before export it.
    and make clean line arrange ments.

(I can check when use smooth (sub-d) in hexagon,,)

but it seems diffucult keep and arrange vertices edges for clean divide the obj which has many face ,
    after use boolean. @@; (maybe the reason is ,, not understand clear each tools how work,,)

eg,, I delete the face (joint part only) , and close it again. it can apply more edge, around joint part.
    it works better,, but when ceck it with wire mode in ds,,,, I can see,, ds apply new lines,, and it seems not good arrange,,
    (I do not hope ,,ds make triangle,,, ^^;)

so that my solution is when use boolean, plan carefully before use it,,
    how to connect virtices of joint area,,,,or better,, not rely on boolean if exprot it to ds .
    I need to keep good lines around joint part and connect vertices and edges,,

if there is " basic rure" to make clean edge ?
    I want to know it,,, ,,, I have not find good solution,
    ,usually,, just try divide more edges,, ^^;
    I like format,, which can apply about each cases..

boorean4.JPG
    675 x 445 - 36K
    boolean3.JPG
    568 x 477 - 40K
    edited December 1969

If I'm understanding you correctly I think you pretty much have the idea. Good luck :)