Installing ZIP Files for DAZ Studio 3 and DAZ Studio 4 Tutorial

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Right at the bottom of the page you will find a kind of menu the one that says HELP has a Contact Us button. Just use it and give them all the info you can. If you still have your e-mail for your orders it will have your order numbers in it. That information will help speed things up.
    I hope you get the items you need and have fun with DS. It might take days before you hear from Daz, just give them sometime they will take care of you.

• emanouel1979emanouel1979 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks for the help. just contacted help, i hope they can help me with the issue.

i just wish i knew before hand so i wouldn't have bought the wrong item.

maybe they should allow you to purchase content directly from the app. less mix ups that way

• Jman99Jman99 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I bought a bunch of new content over the weekend, to take advantage of the Platinum Club offer, and two thirds of the content I bought I can't even use! I unzipped the files then clicked the installer (on Mac) and everything seemed to install fine, no errors. Here are the items I bought and the SMALL list of content that actually loads:

*Four of the Old West buildings
    *Millenium Horse
    *Tack for Millenium Horse
    *Haunted Mansion
    *The Study
    *Cowboy pack for M4
    *Holiday Nook

Out of all that content, only the Millenium Horse, the Study, and Holiday Nook work. Everything else seems to be in the correct directory but it is grayed out and won't let me load it. Or with some things (the Holiday Nook) it says it can't find the materials, so it won't let me install it. If Daz's own content installers don't work correctly, how is anything supposed to be done correctly and be usable?! I can't be the only person having these problems.

• emanouel1979emanouel1979 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail,

thanks for the help.

i got the refund and purchased the new genesis models and it all worked :)

i also got the victoria 5 , but i dont see much content for her. all victoria 4.

are they compatible??

edited December 1969

I'm thinking all Genesis stuff works on all genesis characters. Have fun.

• BrotherloboBrotherlobo Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

Jaderail,

Thanks for the wonderful information. I did something similar -- bought a bunch of V4 stuff -- not realizing that w/ Genesis I don't need it. I have spent hours downloading, applying and trying to figure out how to open it in DAZ -- just downloaded the porgram yesterday.

Also thanks for the advice on the refund. Heading there now to see how they handle my situation so I can get Michael and Victoria 5.

• appyedgeappyedge Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Hi!! This is the first time I've written on the forum, but I read your installing tutorial of zip files for DS4. I did everything just like you said, and it showed up just where you said. ;) Thank you!!! However, I have a problem.

When I go to DAZ, I find them in my Content Library under "Poser Formats" and "My Library". Under "My Library", there are 3 sections called "Figures", "Pose" and "Props". It put some of my files into "Figures" and some into "Pose". The ones in the "Figures" folder ( file endings .cr2) I can use. (These are cute boots and these 2 are black.) The ones in the "Pose" folder (file endings .pz2) I can use. (These are the same boots in 21 different colors/styles.)

They are all from the same zip file and I put them in just like you said. Why can't I use the .pz2 files? They're really good ones. lol

Extra Info: I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but just so you have all the information, the .obj files of the 2 I can use are in the "Geometries" folder under "Runtime", and the .jpg files (with the colored textures) are in the "Textures" folder under "Runtime".

If you could explain this to me, I would really appreciate it. If I understand something, I can work with it better. Right now it's frustrating to have all those nice-looking boots and not be able to use them. hahaha

The Freebie I'm referring to is "Frilly Boots_tc". It's made for Frilly Boots for Kids 4. I have the Kids 4 in my DAZ program....at least when it comes to shirts and underware, so I thought it should work.

Thanks for your time and help trying to understanding this.

edited September 2012

Okay The ones you can not use are Materials for those Boots. Load the boots and Select them, now use the files and Your textures should change. So the boots should now look like that Icon. Some stuff comes with those Extra Materials, they only work on the item they come with.

EDIT: You must have the BOOTs that loads before these Extra textures / Materials will load and change them to look like the material Icon.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thank you!!!!! It worked!!! (Of course it did. lol)

Thank you again!!

edited December 1969

Hi, Jade.

This is appyedge again. I've been doing a lot of "experimenting" and trying to figure things out. I've learned some things and still can't figure out others, so I'm back. lol

First, from what you told me yesterday about how to get the things to work in the Poser Format in the Content Library, I went back to my Presets in the files on my computer. These are the things I found there.

What I need in the Runtime folders:
    Geometric folder: .obj files
    Libraries, character: .cr2 file and a .png picture
    Library, Pose: .pz2 file and .png picture
    Textures: the .jpg "cutout" pictures of each pattern

I've found that anything not in one of those (especially the .obj files) keeps me from using it. So, I need to make sure those files are all in there, right?

I have some that are for Genesis. Besides the Runtime folder, they also have "People" and "Data" folders.
    I know in your directions, you say to just load the Runtime folder, but I've found if I also load (merge) these two folders, it comes up in the DAZ Studio Format, My Library, People, Genesis, Clothing folder. And it works, so I'm assuming it's ok????

I guess, I'm mainly checking with you to make sure I haven't goofed anything up yet. lol

Thanks for your help.

edited December 1969

By the way. I forgot to tell you I love your picture "You talking to me?" on your DiviantArt page. I usually like more pastoral settings and animals and plants, etc, but that was just cool!!! lol My kids would love it, too!!! (And my grandkids who are old enough, too. lol)

• village_residuumvillage_residuum Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I also am using a mac. I tried following the tutorial but it seemed a bit confusing for me as a new user. I bought clothes and tool sets called Tool Boi but I am trying to figure out the right place to put everything to use in Daz Studio 4. I have attached a screen shot. I just downloaded the files and put everything, including the daz studio 4 app into my elements external hard drive.

Screen_Shot_2012-09-13_at_2.41_.02_PM_.png
    1900 x 977 - 191K
    edited December 1969

I hate to say this, I'm all PC and even I can see that this is messed up. I'm going to put a shout out and see if the Resident Mac Guy can drop in and give you some help.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

The problem is that you have nested runtimes and these need to be merged into the proper location.

HOWEVER, the first thing we need to know for certain is what version of OSX you're on. If you're on anything older than Lion it changes things. The reason it matters is that prior to OSX 10.7 (Lion) OSX did not MERGE folders and instead, by default it, replaced them. Meaning there wasn't really an easy way to fix the issue you're seeing. However, if you're on Lion or Mountain Lion, the merging folders is now an option and the fix becomes much, much easier.

It looks as if you've got the ToolBoi outfit expanded into the Poser4 subdirectory as individual files. These need to be combined into a single folder and then the runtime in the resulting folder needs to be MERGED to the runtime at ~/DAZ 3D/DAZSTudio4/runtime. Of course that makes the assumption that is the location where you installed your DS4 content...

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

I should be extra clear here though, where DID you install the default content? If it wasn't ~/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/ then you've got more problems.

• mrsaboyermrsaboyer Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Hello there!

I am running Windows 8, so hopefully somebody can help me.

I can't seem to run anything I unzip. First of all, when I drag and drop the only options I get are to overwrite or to skip. So should I open the individual files and place them all in their respective folders? I did do this for the Dragon Fly, and it doesn't show up anywhere.

I REALLY hope my problem isn't Windows 8, because I spent a pile of money on content this weekend.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,850
    edited December 1969

If you unpack content to an existing content directory the base folders (Runtime, Data etc.) will already exist. Unless Windows 8 has changed for the worse picking overwrite should merge the contents of the new Runtime etc. with the existing folder (the alert should say that you will be asked if there are any duplicate files).

• richchaserichchase Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Is there anyone in the UK that can sit down and show me how to install my purchased add on's into my Daz studio 4.5, I have listened to endless tutorials and followed advice on forums but I simply cannot grasp it, I'm new to this and not really PC savvy.
    I have purchased endless items, Victoria base among them, but find most of the info unhelpful.
    I live in the South Wales area, just thought i'd throw this out there....you never know !

• richchaserichchase Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

No worries guys, I've finally thrown in the towel and conceded defeat, such a pity as I'd purchased so many add-on's and various other items.
    I ended up having loads of files, mostly zipped, stuck on my PC with no idea how to extract them on to my Daz studio.
    I've watched dozens of tutorials and read so many forum topics but still zilch....anyway, guess it wasn't to be.
    Hope you have more luck than I did. cheers and bye ! lol.

• JachielJachiel Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I'm not able to unzip The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. With other products I unzipped, I had to rename the unzipped file (adding .zip) and unzip a second time; then it worked and I saw folders. But renaming the file with this product doesn't work. I tried .zip, .rar and .exe, but they all fail. It gives only files like SKDonkey.dmc, but without extension (so Windows asks with what program to open it). Anyone knowing how I should rename it? I use Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

richchase said:
    Is there anyone in the UK that can sit down and show me how to install my purchased add on's into my Daz studio 4.5, I have listened to endless tutorials and followed advice on forums but I simply cannot grasp it, I'm new to this and not really PC savvy.
    I have purchased endless items, Victoria base among them, but find most of the info unhelpful.
    I live in the South Wales area, just thought i'd throw this out there....you never know !

What part of South Wales ? Not that I would be much help anyway, as I am one who doesn't actually use Daz Studio but I am in the "Heads of The Valley" area.
  • ankhwedjasenebankhwedjaseneb Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So new to this forum and software however, I am doing a project for school on Africa, I purchased the faces of Africa Michael and Vicky but when I open up Daz folders I only can retrieve genesis characters and do not know how to load them up can someone please assist me?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,850
    edited December 1969

Faces of Africa is a nice set of morphs, but it's for an older version of the DAZ Figures:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/michael-3-0-base
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/victoria-3-0-base

and you would probably need the morphs too for your project

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/victoria-3-0-head-body-morphs
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/michael-3-0-head-body-morphs

not to mention some textures, since the later texture sets won't work. Alternatively, you could ask for a refund and buy the African morphs for Genesis, though it has fewer options

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ethnicity-for-genesis-african

• edited December 1969

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me Pretty Please <3</p>

I have just got DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro it is all installed and added the serial code ....good so far!
    I also purchased Toon Amy http://www.daz3d.com/toon-amy-for-genesis-bundle
    I am trying to install her from the zip files but when I do it keeps trying to divert me to my poser 8 file ......I know I need to direct it to a genesis file but not sure where to look?
    could someone tell me the path I need to add it please

Thank you sooooo much!

Love Janice X

edited December 1969

After you install the Base Genesis content you should have a Documents/Daz3D/Studio/My Library folder if you installed it default. Just point the UnZip to that folder and everything should install without any errors.

• edited December 1969

thank you so much for your help
    you prompted me that there was a content folder that needed to be installed and I re directed to the right folder and I have it working now thank you XXX
    Now the hard part ...learning how to use it lol

edited December 1969

Your Welcome, when you have more questions just ask in this Forum for help or even my Basic's for Daz thread also in this forum.

• edited December 1969

Um sorry to disturb again :)

How do I add my past purchases that are runtime files?

Thanks in advance X

edited December 1969

If they have Installer just point the Installer to the My Library folder. If they are just Zips with a Runtime Folder do this.
    Copy the Runtime Folder and then Drop it in your My Library folder (Not the Runtime folder the My Library Folder), You should get the option to Merge the New folder to the old one. Just say Okay or Yes. If you do not get the Mergre Option let me know and I'll walk you through the steps needed to install by hand.

• edited December 1969

Thank you so much that worked fantastic!
    Big hugs Janice XX