fur on a large area

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

all in the title!:: to apply fur on a large area, the only way is to get a high number of "hair"? it's so heavy to render, after... no way with replicator? thank you for help!!

Comments

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Sometimes I turn off "receives shadow" or " casts shadow" or both, for the hair. If your hair is dense it may look ok.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Also try Shadow Buffers. Hair looks exactly the same under Shadow buffers but renders much faster....

I have thought of creating scenes where all the lights are duplicates, raytraced shadows for everything but hair, and Shadow Buffers for hair... Limit the objects that each light interacts with... Time consuming to set up so I never really got a practical result from this idea of double lights... Easier to just use shadow buffers and bake the necessary textures that look weird under Buffer lighting....

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Hi, a couple of things,

the texture underneath the hair can help a lot with reducing the quantity of hair required, see how far you can get away with the 'impression' of hair using a smaller count, it helps if the hair is flat to the camera too.

also try breaking it into low density and high density groups if your model or scene will allow for it. Use high density only where it will be noticed or required.

for example
    http://fav.me/d4o1s17

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

celmar said:
    all in the title!:: to apply fur on a large area, the only way is to get a high number of "hair"? it's so heavy to render, after... no way with replicator? thank you for help!!

What process are you using to create the fur?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 2012

HI Pendria :)

In Carrara, you can use Dynamic Hair,. either as ....Hair / Fur :) , but it's scale can be Thin Medium Large or Extra large, so it's possible to use dynamic hairs, as a way of creating Grass, without modelling.

hairgrass_dist1.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 150K
    grasshair_terrain.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 114K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 2012

3DAGE said:
    HI Pendria :)

In Carrara, you can use Dynamic Hair,. either as ....Hair / Fur :) , but it's scale can be Thin Medium Large or Extra large, so it's possible to use dynamic hairs, as a way of creating Grass, without modelling.

Thanks 3DAGE! I'm a total noob when it comes to Carraraand I was curious about the process...: )

Just wanted to add I wish we had this in DS. Between this and Howie Farks I'm tempted to learn Carrara...; )

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

In addition to the good advice given already, your original idea of using a replicator might be worth trying (I have not had the chance to try it myself). Make a square tile and cover it with hair, and then use a surface replicator to duplicate the tile over your landscape. This should make it easier on system resources while still giving a good result (hopefully!).

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    In addition to the good advice given already, your original idea of using a replicator might be worth trying (I have not had the chance to try it myself). Make a square tile and cover it with hair, and then use a surface replicator to duplicate the tile over your landscape. This should make it easier on system resources while still giving a good result (hopefully!).

I tried that once and ended up with a lot of obviously flat planes replicated over the terrain. (Still took ages to render too)
    It may work better with a surface shaped to always intersect the terrain.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 2012

PhilW said:

I tried that once and ended up with a lot of obviously flat planes replicated over the terrain. (Still took ages to render too)
    It may work better with a surface shaped to always intersect the terrain.

At least it works. I used a 1 foot square plane with 1000 hairs as the grass, around 6 inches high, with some frizz added to provide variation. Surface replicated on a 20 foot plane with variation in rotation and a little scale too, around 650 instances in total. So around 650,000 hairs in total, but handled more efficiently than adding that number of hairs direct to the plane. But yes it is fairly slow to render. But with the numbers involved, it is still fairly impressive that it renders at all!

Sorry, I tried adding the rendered image but something is playing up and it is not letting me.....

Post edited by PhilW on