DAZ Horse 2 Product Preview Thread

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

Kalazar said:
    Just trying out Kingly Bardling and some poses

Great image, love the pose and expressions as well as the rendered realism.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,276
    edited December 1969

Kalazar said:

I'm trying to learn also. I use DSPro4.5, 1 distant light (left side) and 1 spot light (top). Both with deep shadow 20% bias. Then rendered in Reality2.5. And, for me, lighting is HARD.I render a lot of pixs adjusting the lights each time, until I get something halfway decent. Good luck.LOL

Thanks :-) Reality is the thing I am missing, it has been on my mental wishlist a long time. I've been trying to see where I can get DS alone and understanding lights, but I suspect I'll sucumb to Reality soon. Now - before or after LAMH.... :-)

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited December 2012

I got the products. They all look great. Thanks!

Just a bit of a question: They seem to load okay in DS, but I'm not seeing the Poser files going into Poser's Runtime folder--they're loading into DS, too. What am I supposed to do to instruct the files to go to Poser??

I've got Poser 7 & DS 4.5. Do I have to have Poser 9 for them to load properly?

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Just a bit of a question: They seem to load okay in DS, but I'm not seeing the Poser files going into Poser's Runtime folder--they're loading into DS, too. What am I supposed to do to instruct the files to go to Poser??

I am afraid you need Poser9
    The horse2 is weightmapped and weightmapping is supported in P9 and PP2012, but not before.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Pixel Downs and the starting gate are probably a week or two away-- they were both submitted to DAZ yesterday and have a few hoops to jump through (or a few furlongs to run) before you'll see them in the store. If you'd like to see more images, I've posted some here.

In order to create that 14 horse field, I needed 9 more jockey silks, so I ended up creating them for my render. If you have the jockey set, I've provided the textures I did for the silks and posted them in my freebies. I patterned many of them after famous Kentucky Derby winners like Gallant Fox, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Whirlaway, Count Fleet and War Admiral.

You are so cool. :)
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Why do none of the DAZ Horse 2 skins have bump/normal (or even displacement) maps? (I bought the pro bundle, so have all the skins). They all look VERY flat when rendered, especially up close. My current render, I ran the skin through ShaderMap 2 to generate normal maps for the horse, but that still doesn't compare to properly made maps by someone that knows what they're doing (e.g., not me -- I just mess about with the sliders in ShaderMap 2 until I have something passable).

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Yea, noticed that too cwichura. You might add in a noise map in the bump or displacement channel and see if that helps. I tried just about everything and was a bit disappointed in the flat appearance in the maps.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

I am afraid you need Poser9
    The horse2 is weightmapped and weightmapping is supported in P9 and PP2012, but not before.Oy. I was afraid of that.

I can upgrade, but it'll take me a few months to gather the $$. I guess in the meantime, I should try to learn DS.

Thanks Kerya!

• edited December 1969

Has anyone tried the bend on the elbow actor? Yeek! I guess it's there to make it more compatible with the MH1 poses but don't use it! I like the shape of the hindquarters better, but the bends I'm not so impressed with. I like that the mane and tail are conformers rather than part of the mesh. I bought this to see if I could adapt my animations to it, and it is doable, but frankly I like the shoulder motion on the older horse better. This new version has a weird mesh bulge on shoulder bends.

• NorrieNorrie Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Do these horses actually walk forward, or do they walk on the spot?

• edited December 1969

norrie said:
    Do these horses actually walk forward, or do they walk on the spot?

Is this addressed to me? If so, they can do both.

edited December 1969

CauriB said:
    I created an UV set for the new horse to take Millenium Horse textures, I also created a clone to auto fit your old items to the new horse. I also included some materials for easy application of the old textures ( LnL Ultimate Horses, Mil Unicorn, Fantasy Unicorns and the textures that are included in the Mil horse Bundle)
    You can download the files at my freebie site, the link to my freebie site is in my signature.
    The files are rtencoded against the blMilHorse.obj. More instructions are in the readme.
    Hope you like it.

I have a question about how you made the clone shape. I decoded it and installed it, and I'm able to fit items to Horse 2 and select Millennium Horse as the original figure, and some modifications are made so that some pieces fit better... but were you trying to match the whole body shape of the original MilHorse in the clone? Because this is what I get for fits. One image is Astral Armor items loaded into scene with no fitting, one is fitted to Horse 2 using the clone, and the last is items fitted to Horse 2 with the Llama morph. Granted, that's an extreme morph and I'm not surprised to get some distortion, but even the fit to the plain horsie is... well... you can see.

Is your version working better? Did I go wrong somewhere in the install process? Granted this is probably better than I have any reason to expect. ;) But it would be fun to have armored Llamas charging around. :lol:

astralArmorLlama.jpg
    556 x 589 - 110K
    astralArmorHorse2.jpg
    556 x 589 - 107K
    astralArmornofit.jpg
    556 x 589 - 103K
    edited December 1969

Follow-up: Astral Armor doesn't seem to fit MilHorse SR1 very well, either... maybe it's intended for a different horse model? It's not available in the store anymore... ah, I just found the Readme, and Astral Armor is for the Charger. Spinebender is for the MilHorse. Back to the drawing board....

I apologize for having doubted you. :) Here is the Horse 2 and Llama in Spinebender Armor. (But it might be worthwhile to make a Charger clone for Horse2.)

SpinebenderLlama.jpg
    556 x 589 - 114K
    SpinebenderHorse2.jpg
    556 x 589 - 113K
    edited December 1969

And, of course (just because I can):

ceremonialArmorLlama.jpg
    556 x 589 - 103K
  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 2012

Took a while, but I finally had time to put something together for the new horsie. Tail and Mane were an absolute pain, and I ended up using three manes before I was satisfied ...

Well ... sorta. Too bad the horse was rushed out without a decent tail and mane.

Edit: AND without fetlocks!

Prancer.jpg
    1296 x 1728 - 468K
    Post edited by Satira Capriccio on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Took a while, but I finally had time to put something together for the new horsie. Tail and Mane were an absolute pain, and I ended up using three manes before I was satisfied ...

Well ... sorta. Too bad the horse was rushed out without a decent tail and mane.

Edit: AND without fetlocks!

Classic! Beauriful

edited December 2012

Good news for those who love the old Charger Fantasy Tack!

With CauriB's Milhorse clone and Bloodsong's fit to the MilHorse (rte encoder required) we can have the old Fantasy Tack (Saddle only) on the new DAZ Horse 2.

I'd forgotten about it and found the Bloodsong conversion in my MilHorse directory while poking around. I had loaded up DAZ Horse 2, then I clicked on the converted Fantasy Saddle--I had to hunt down the textures because I had them in a different place than the .cr2 expected so be careful of that and know where your textures are. The transfer utility popped up, select milhorse from the clone dropdown. That's it.

Charger Fantasy Tack http://www.daz3d.com/shop/charger-fantasy-tack

Millenium Horse Conversion by Bloodsong (only the saddle) http://www.3dmenagerie.com/ (Click on Goodies in the left column, then on Poser in top box and scroll down a bit)

CauriB clone: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11539/P225 Page 16 Message #231

Here's a quickie of the Fantasy Saddle on DH2 with about 60% Pony dialed in....

DH2-chargersaddle-pony60pc.jpg
    750 x 600 - 48K
    Post edited by Spit on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,206
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Follow-up: Astral Armor doesn't seem to fit MilHorse SR1 very well, either... maybe it's intended for a different horse model? It's not available in the store anymore... ah, I just found the Readme, and Astral Armor is for the Charger. Spinebender is for the MilHorse. Back to the drawing board....

I apologize for having doubted you. :) Here is the Horse 2 and Llama in Spinebender Armor. (But it might be worthwhile to make a Charger clone for Horse2.)

Astral Armour/Spinebender were a double set - one (AA) for the Charger, one (SB) for the Mil Horse.

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Good news for those who love the old Charger Fantasy Tack!

With CauriB's Milhorse clone and Bloodsong's fit to the MilHorse (rte encoder required) we can have the old Fantasy Tack (Saddle only) on the new DAZ Horse 2.

I'd forgotten about it and found the Bloodsong conversion in my MilHorse directory while poking around. I had loaded up DAZ Horse 2, then I clicked on the converted Fantasy Saddle--I had to hunt down the textures because I had them in a different place than the .cr2 expected so be careful of that and know where your textures are. The transfer utility popped up, select milhorse from the clone dropdown. That's it.

Charger Fantasy Tack http://www.daz3d.com/shop/charger-fantasy-tack

Millenium Horse Conversion by Bloodsong (only the saddle) http://www.3dmenagerie.com/ (Click on Goodies in the left column, then on Poser in top box and scroll down a bit)

CauriB clone: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11539/P225 Page 16 Message #231

Here's a quickie of the Fantasy Saddle on DH2 with about 60% Pony dialed in....

Thank you for the heads up - and that is an adorable pony!

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

Astral Armour/Spinebender were a double set - one (AA) for the Charger, one (SB) for the Mil Horse.

Yes, I figured that out. :) if no one else has made a Charger clone by this weekend, I'll probably tackle it. And maybe the camel, though there isn't as much gear for it that can be converted. And I'll take a look at the Poser horse, not for UV mapping, but just to see if I can get a clone shape to work. What else.... Maybe the reindeer? I don't know as I'm up to making a morph good enough to use in an image, but I've had pretty good luck making clones.

edited December 1969

Oh wow ...
    I've got the Camel saddle and bridle - and there is a free one too: http://lab108.x0.com/lab108/vehicle.html
    and a Charger clone!
    And the Poser horse!
    http://www.planit3d.com/source/poser/helmut1.html
    and
    http://freestuff.cloudlandcastle.net/characaters.html
    http://www.planit3d.com/source/poser/lyne5.html

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

So, how do you make a Clone?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

I think all of us with clothes for the Gen3 kids would like to know that...

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

You're welcome and thank you. :D

zigraphix said:

Yes, I figured that out. :) if no one else has made a Charger clone by this weekend, I'll probably tackle it. And maybe the camel, though there isn't as much gear for it that can be converted. And I'll take a look at the Poser horse, not for UV mapping, but just to see if I can get a clone shape to work. What else.... Maybe the reindeer? I don't know as I'm up to making a morph good enough to use in an image, but I've had pretty good luck making clones.

Do you perchance have the adHorse? It's a nice one that grazes beautifully. Almost no poses for it though.

BUT it has CONFORMING mane, short mane, and tail all with morphs! It would be neat if we could use them with DH2.

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Kerya said:

You're welcome and thank you. :D

zigraphix said:

Do you perchance have the adHorse? It's a nice one that grazes beautifully. Almost no poses for it though.

BUT it has CONFORMING mane, short mane, and tail all with morphs! It would be neat if we could use them with DH2.

I don't have that one yet, but that's a good idea too. :) Let me get the Charger done first, and Poser Horse, and we'll see what comes next.

It is possible that I could do UV maps for Charger or Poser Horse... would there be any interest at all? I've done some pretty radical UV map conversions in the past (Queen of Ages<-MFD, for example). They're a lot of work, though, so I might have to charge for that.</p>

As for how you make a clone... I usually start by loading both figures into the scene. Then I start adjusting scale of Genesis (or Horse 2) body parts until everything gets pretty close to the scale of the model I'm trying to clone. In particular, joint boundaries should match up. If the mesh needs to be stretched or shrunk a bit other than what whole bone scaling can do, I use D-Formers (magnets). Then I save out the result as a morph, and put it into the Clones folder (see the other things in there for examples).

I'll write up better directions this weekend when I do the Charger. :)

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

As for how you make a clone... I usually start by loading both figures into the scene. Then I start adjusting scale of Genesis (or Horse 2) body parts until everything gets pretty close to the scale of the model I'm trying to clone. In particular, joint boundaries should match up. If the mesh needs to be stretched or shrunk a bit other than what whole bone scaling can do, I use D-Formers (magnets). Then I save out the result as a morph, and put it into the Clones folder (see the other things in there for examples).

Love a really good tutorial for this procedure. I want to see if it's possible to get Apollo's clothing over to Genesis as there are some parts that are really nice.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    zigraphix said:

Love a really good tutorial for this procedure. I want to see if it's possible to get Apollo's clothing over to Genesis as there are some parts that are really nice.
    It should be quite possible. I had completed clones for V3 and M3 just before I found out DAZ was working on their own. It didn't take me all that long. It all depends on how close you want the fit to be. For my V3/M3, I wanted the Morphing Fantasy Masks to work, so I paid attention to facial details, but usually you don't even need to get those too close, considering you're going to want to use smoothing and collision to make up for various distortions in the conversion process.

I've considered doing clones for Luke, Laura, Matt, Maddie, and even the previous versions of the DAZ lineup, but after getting burned on V3 and M3, I just haven't had the motivation. ;)

edited December 1969

Well a free or paid for detailed tutorial... I'm ALL ears (nose, mouth, ect ..... :P )

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

warmblood said:
    i am really on the fence about the horse right now. Im not at home so I cant load the old one and remember how it looks. hard for me to decide at the office (where I actually do most of my shopping....) for this decision I need to be at home. I downloaded the horsey UVmap tool from CauriB (thank you) but I forget how the RTE encode stuff works. Can someone remind me how that works.

This is a great resource. Thank you, CauriB! Here's how I got it working:

1) First download and unzip Horse 2 Mil Horse UV and Clone file. Also download RTEncoder. Y

2) Run Rtencoder and from the File menu choose Decode. Locate the file you want to decode (in this case Horse 2 Mil Horse UV and Clone.rte.

3) Once you've selected the file to decode, click Next and specify a name and location for the new zip file. I created it in the unzipped folder from above, and called it Horse2MilHorse.zip.

4) Click Next again and you need to provide a key. In this case, the readme says to use blmilhorse.obj (which should be in your Runtime\geometries\DazAnimals folder). You only need the one key.

5) Click Next. and then Finish.

6) A zipped folder should be created. Unzip it and copy the contents to your DS content folder.

7) I can't remember if it was enough to just refresh the content folder. You may have to restart Daz Studio to get it to all work properly. But when it works, in your Daz Horse 2 folder you'll find a folders for applying the mil horse textures, and when you load a mil horse prop/figure with Daz Horse 2 selected you'll get the autofit dialog. Choose the Mil horse as the original figure.

thanks for the instructions, works great

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

My first go with DAZ Horse 2: Christmas 2012