GenX full body morphs?

Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

So I recently purchased Generation X so I could begin getting my many Gen 4 characters to take advantage of Genesis' features. Now, the first thing I tried getting across is something I feel was somewhat lacking in the initial Genesis bundle, and that's K4. I loaded in my character, applied the morphs I wanted and then hit the transfer button.

All seemed fine. I have a dial, it has a cute as a button picture of K4 (In this particular instance, K4 using the Kaelyn character morphs), and I can slide it up and down without a care in the world. However, it only seems to affect the head. Undoubtedly there's a way to get the morphs to work for the full body, but there seems to be only so much I can tweak with the UI I'm given.

Is anyone GenX savvy who can tell me what I might do to 'fix' this problem? Oh, I should add that I'd like the ENTIRE character (Full body morph) in a single dial if possible, for ease of use. Thanks in advance gurus.

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

In he window where the morphs are listed in GenX, right click. Show in List: All Controlled Morphs, and Show in List: all morphs/controllers. Make sure both are checked, then right click: All: Transferre on for Non Zero Values. I always make a single morph... but that's me :)

I ran into this not very long ago...

edited December 1969

Oh, the long button just below the morph window, click on that, and select create a single morph.

AND PAY ATTENTION: you can tell GenX to put that morph exactly where you want it to be in your shaping tab! The dialog box tells you to name the morph, then gives you a path below that. You can create a new path like "Actor/HeraldofFire/" and have it land there so you can easily find it.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I'm afraid I'm still getting the same problem, only the face is morphed while the body remains at defaults. I've even go so far as to check EVERY single box for even hidden morphs and controllers with no luck. It only seems to transfer morphs pertaining to facial characteristics. There are two choices for Kids 4 Clone though, one is 1.0 the other doesn't have a version number. I've tried both of them, but the same results remain. Just the head.

edited December 1969

Hmm, I think I have it figured out and it's more a fault in my expectations rather than the program. GenX doesn't actually apply the K4 body shape to Genesis, therefore the only morphs being applied are in fact the Kaelyn character morphs as a standalone. That would explain why the face is the only visible change. Lining up K4 with her Genesis counterpart there are distinct differences, but its clear that the character is 'mostly' there.

After applying the basic child morph along with the Kaelyn character morph, I get a close approximation of the chararcter, including body proportions for the most part. Here's a side by side comparison I threw together.

Side_by_Side.png
    839 x 892 - 573K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I have no proof...so this is just me assuming...but, my gut feeling is...that for K4 that behavior is 'by design'. In other words, it's not going to give you a full working K4 to prevent the use of said characters in...well...you know what.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,812
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    I have no proof...so this is just me assuming...but, my gut feeling is...that for K4 that behavior is 'by design'. In other words, it's not going to give you a full working K4 to prevent the use of said characters in...well...you know what.

I'm pretty sure that the transfer is incomplete at least in part because DAZ hasn't done a Gen4 K4 shape, so GenX lacks something to map to.

Basic Child predates the Gen4 Shapes for Genesis, and isn't quite a close enough match. Technically, K4 is supposed to be a clone -- I guess it's got all of V4 and M4 in there somewhere to deal with male and female children, or something like that. Unfortunately, whatever it means to be "a clone" of whatever K4 is a clone of, it doesn't mean that GenX has the information it needs to make things look right.

I tried the full transfer process with some K4 morphs. Transfer all of K4's morphs as selected morphs without a controller -- ALL of them (Select all the sections, right-click, then choose "Transfer:On>All" in GenX). Once that's complete, open a new scene with a new Genesis figure, transfer a particular K4 shape through the normal process, open another new scene and Genesis figure, and see what happens.

What I noticed was that the body was fairly undifferentiated, which didn't bother me a huge amount -- we're talking children, after all. What did bother me was that the face was fairly undifferentiated as well. It was a boy, so I tried dialing in M4, just to see what happens. The face gets a lot more definition and differentiation as you dial in the adult morph. Unfortunately, that also makes the body more adult. Without a Gen4 K4 shape, GenX and Genesis itself doesn't seem to have any idea what to do with the body.

As an aside: one could use K4 itself in "you know what" if one were so inclined. Genesis and GenX haven't got a thing to do with THAT. The only thing DAZ has done regarding that issue is to make the genitalia unusable with the Basic Child shape.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

As an aside: one could use K4 itself in "you know what" if one were so inclined. Genesis and GenX haven't got a thing to do with THAT. The only thing DAZ has done regarding that issue is to make the genitalia unusable with the Basic Child shape.

And I think that's why there isn't an 'official' K4 'shape'/clone/whatever the 'missing' part of the equation is, because the K4 shape wouldn't be 'tied' to the Basic Child but 'Base Genesis' it would 'get around' that restriction! And also why I think there has been such a huge delay with a teen package...like how to do that to something other than the 'Basic Child' without messing up all the 'standard' shapes (could also explain a lot of the weirdness with updated gens files lately).

edited December 1969

Truth be told, people will always find workarounds for their disgusting hobbies, so I don't feel that Daz should be going out of their way to hamper the use of children in renders. I'd like to think that the majority of people who use K4 and their ilk in their work have far more wholesome goals than the depiction of minors in adult activities. With that said, I find it somewhat disappointing that there's no true K4 shape for Genesis, so I'm forced to use workarounds to get a rough approximation.

Unfortunately, while its similar it's still not quite close enough so I'm still having to use the original K4 for my renders at the moment. Shame too, since there are more ages than 'adult' and 'more adult' and having Genesis allows us to mix and match morphs for flexibility. It's not much help if they all look like 20 year old heads on 12 year old bodies.

edited December 1969

Have you thought about transferring your K4 morphs to a Victoria 4 Cr2, and see if that'll work?

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Does GenX also work with the Girl? I see no mention of this

edited December 2012

yes, GenX does work with the Girl, at least the Gen4 version. Aiko too.

Post edited by wancow on