Is it just me or is Firefox having issues with the site lately?

Comments

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited December 1969

Mine ended up being a javascript issue. I turned it off and then everything appeared. Unfortunately I cant leave it off just to browse the site. I hope they fix this issue QUICKLY!

• Robert952Robert952 Posts: 141
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    DAZ has been using Cloudflare for a while now...not sure what all is hosted there and what is hosted on DAZ's own servers (if anything).

NoScript and other blocking software interfering with images and downloads...a very real probability.

Change how it's served from the cloud servers/change the url (heck it's possible that changing the routing can mess things up) and unless you've set up your whitelist to allow domains as opposed to sites/pages and you'll be blocked.

The amount of software that in some way offers 'protection' is beyond belief. All browsers have some blocking mechanisms...then there's AVs, firewalls and even your router/modem to contend with. And that leaves out DNS...if you haven't specified a third-party DNS server and are using your ISP's dns, then it's likely that there is some measure of filtering going on.

Not to mention 'throttling'...

I'm amazed that there are so few problems, overall.

My issue with all this is that as a 'normal user' who doesn't get under the hood of their browsers and such I shouldn't be forced to do things like "white listing". I've never done that (and never heard of it 'til now) and have had no issues thus far . And again - I checked in FF17 and IE8 - problem with both which I never had before.

It is amazing that there's a gazillion sites that have few browser issues. (Haven't tried Chrome - would have to install the latest of that since it's not on my PC currently.) Hopefully they are working the issue and putting a fix in place.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

robert952 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    DAZ has been using Cloudflare for a while now...not sure what all is hosted there and what is hosted on DAZ's own servers (if anything).

NoScript and other blocking software interfering with images and downloads...a very real probability.

Change how it's served from the cloud servers/change the url (heck it's possible that changing the routing can mess things up) and unless you've set up your whitelist to allow domains as opposed to sites/pages and you'll be blocked.

The amount of software that in some way offers 'protection' is beyond belief. All browsers have some blocking mechanisms...then there's AVs, firewalls and even your router/modem to contend with. And that leaves out DNS...if you haven't specified a third-party DNS server and are using your ISP's dns, then it's likely that there is some measure of filtering going on.

My issue with all this is that as a 'normal user' who doesn't get under the hood of their browsers and such I shouldn't be forced to do things like "white listing". I've never done that (and never heard of it 'til now) and have had no issues thus far . And again - I checked in FF17 and IE8 - problem with both which I never had before.

It is amazing that there's a gazillion sites that have few browser issues. (Haven't tried Chrome - would have to install the latest of that since it's not on my PC currently.) Hopefully they are working the issue and putting a fix in place.

Much of the problem is NOT under DAZ's control!

It's local settings. DAZ cannot fix a problem with Symantec products 'eating' downloads. It cannot fix a problem with another AV blocking images on the pages. So it's time that the 'normal user' does learn about that stuff. Sorry, not knowing what your AV/firewall/OS is doing doesn't place the blame for a problem caused by one of them on the site you are visiting.

"Protection" products are becoming more and more aggressive, so this will be happening more often. Sites like Amazon, Facebook and so on don't 'suffer' these types of problems, because things are tested against them before being released. It's the smaller/mid sized sites that suffer. There are too many of them to test against and they use too many varied hosts, formats and everything else.

Another part of the problem is that some of the site problems are, not real common, more common on Cloudflare enabled sites. The cause is a combination of things, but something that is out of DAZ's control, other than disabling/moving from Cloudflare (and before anyone says move...all the similar services have to some degree, their own set of problems). Some of the Cloudflare problems come and go...as if something were working it's way through CF's 23 global data centers...

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I wasn't having problems until today. I came in and couldn't see images for products.
    I'm using Firefox.
    Daz has problems liek this sometimes and it is truly frustrating.
    I never had ANY problems like this with the old site.

edited November 2012

The image problem seems to be a perennial Cloudflare problem...doing more reading and lots of Wordpress bloggers HATE Cloudflare, because of that issue. And yes, AV/firewall interaction seems to make it even worse.

If you are running NoScript in FF, make sure you've got Cloudflare whitelisted.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    robert952 said:
    mjc1016 said:

Much of the problem is NOT under DAZ's control!

It's local settings. DAZ cannot fix a problem with Symantec products 'eating' downloads. It cannot fix a problem with another AV blocking images on the pages. So it's time that the 'normal user' does learn about that stuff. Sorry, not knowing what your AV/firewall/OS is doing doesn't place the blame for a problem caused by one of them on the site you are visiting.

"Protection" products are becoming more and more aggressive, so this will be happening more often. Sites like Amazon, Facebook and so on don't 'suffer' these types of problems, because things are tested against them before being released. It's the smaller/mid sized sites that suffer. There are too many of them to test against and they use too many varied hosts, formats and everything else.

Another part of the problem is that some of the site problems are, not real common, more common on Cloudflare enabled sites. The cause is a combination of things, but something that is out of DAZ's control, other than disabling/moving from Cloudflare (and before anyone says move...all the similar services have to some degree, their own set of problems). Some of the Cloudflare problems come and go...as if something were working it's way through CF's 23 global data centers...

If you're saying it isn't DAZ's problem, then I think you need to rethink that. I'm with robert952 in the thinking that I shouldn't be looking under the hood.

Before DAZ decided to change things, there were less issues. The shopping experience on this site has become increasingly unpleasant. It's been what, seven months since the changeover? Every time I download something now, I have no idea of how big a file it is. This is an issue that is easily addressed, if only on the product page. But what does DAZ do? Makes bigger thumbnails as a priority.

Now, the product images aren't displaying properly (they come and go on my FF17.0) possibly due to a scripting issue? Why should I be looking at settings when I never needed to? When shopping here becomes intolerable, it will be DAZ's problem.

The mere fact that there has not been one post by anyone associated with DAZ yet after three pages on this thread says something too.

edited November 2012

It isn't a DAZ problem, other than deciding to go to Cloudflare...

And guess what...yep, the product images ARE directly connected to enabled/disabled scripting/server.

Just tested. Cloudfront.net blocked in ABP...no product images. Cloudfront blocked in NoScript...no product images. Cloudfront is an Amazon server.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited November 2012

mjc1016 said:
    It isn't a DAZ problem, other than deciding to go to Cloudflare...

And guess what...yep, the product images ARE directly connected to enabled/disabled scripting/server.

Just tested. Cloudfront.net blocked in ABP...no product images. Cloudfront blocked in NoScript...no product images. Cloudfront is an Amazon server.

I'm having the same problem:
    FF3x, no forum images, post avatar or sig pic.
    IE7, no thumbnails in store, product pic ok, forum pic ok.
    Last month I had problems loading any DAZ pages in FF3 until I allowed cloudfront in NoScript.

WinXP sp3.
    I just updated malware & virus definitions.
    Addaware & spybot S&D.

Post edited by nitehawk_ltd on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Strange, same browser and settings, yesterday pictures, today, no pictures UNTIL I cleared "cloudflare" with the antiScript blocker in FF.

• Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited December 1969

well i usallt dont complain anymore but ......#$%#%#$%#$%#$% im sick of complaning a nice image would be nice to entice me. Im right now looking for one product anyways...guess they wont sway me otherwise...lol.

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

I am having the same problem, no pictures in the store. I use IE 9. Can anyone explain how to get them back? I don't know what or where this "white page" is. I looked under security, but nothing looked right.
    Gus

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Have you tried a shift refresh, to make sure that your cache has been fully cleared.

Shift+browser refresh button or Shift+Ctrl+R

edited December 1969

If by that you mean, holding the shift key and clicking refresh then yes. I trieddeleting browsing history and stored web sites also. The images might be loading slow, as if left for a long time, some will show up. Sometimes. But, if that's the case, the site becomes a pain because I mean many mijnutes to load 1 page.
    In the advanced options, there were several that dealt with scripts. Are these the ones that are responsible?
    Gus

edited December 1969

If you have scripts blocked, with something like noscript then you need to tell it to allow cloudflare.

edited December 1969

Can anyone tell me how to allow clodflare in IE9? I realy have no idea.
    Gus

edited December 1969

Gusf1 said:
    Gus

Same here... like I've said, I don't get under the hood so much. I have no problem with taking steps. I just don't know what steps to take. What is noscript? I run FF 17 with AdBlock Plus (I guess that's ABP mentioned here.) I don't see cloudflare in any of the lists, how do I add it and where do I add it? Is that sufficient? Is there an interim step and/or additional software to install

While I understand the 'issue'. I still contend that regardless of the size of a company, if they are a web based business, they need to do whatever is necessary for ease of customer interfacing. Now if that 'solution' is: Go to XYZ.com download mysterysoftware.exe and follow the installation instructions, fine.

Poor solution IMO, but at least the customer knows what to do and can decide if it's worth the effort to take these steps as a prerequisite to shop there. But why should the customer be the one to solve the problem of getting into the store?

I liken it to me going to a shopping mall. I can simply walk into most stores. But one store has a sign out front: "To enter our store you must enter the secret code from our ad in today's paper into the keypad. Then lay on your back and wiggle under our security gate." Yes, I can do it. But is it worth the effort to shop at that store? They better have a product offer I really need or have a tremendous desire to own. Else, I'll find a similar store with a similar offer and take my business elsewhere.

edited December 1969

robert952 said:
    Gusf1 said:
    Gus

Same here... like I've said, I don't get under the hood so much. I have no problem with taking steps. I just don't know what steps to take. What is noscript? I run FF 17 with AdBlock Plus (I guess that's ABP mentioned here.) I don't see cloudflare in any of the lists, how do I add it and where do I add it? Is that sufficient? Is there an interim step and/or additional software to install

NoScript is an add-on, like AdBlock Plus.

For ABP (AdBlockPlus) right click on the icon in the toolbar and click on "Open Blockable Items" (or CTL+Shift+V) and scroll through the filters (although it should be near the top) and click on 'ajax.cloudflare.com,,,it will probably be in red. *Yes, cloudflare HAS been added to some or many of the ABP blocklists!!!! Right click on it and select 'Disable Filter...'

For IE...I haven't used it in a very long time, so I'm not sure how to go about allowing sites in it, these days...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    robert952 said:
    Gusf1 said:
    Gus

NoScript is an add-on, like AdBlock Plus.

For ABP (AdBlockPlus) right click on the icon in the toolbar and click on "Open Blockable Items" (or CTL+Shift+V) and scroll through the filters (although it should be near the top) and click on 'ajax.cloudflare.com,,,it will probably be in red. *Yes, cloudflare HAS been added to some or many of the ABP blocklists!!!! Right click on it and select 'Disable Filter...'

For IE...I haven't used it in a very long time, so I'm not sure how to go about allowing sites in it, these days...

NO JOY. Did the above and did not see what you described. Let me start by saying that I have ABP disabled for DAZ3D.com. But knowing that might not mean anything I 'putzed around'.

ABP/Open blockable shows a green text line for the URL address. Rt Click on that and 'Disable' (same as clicking/unclicking Disable for...on drop down of ABP icon) shows listing as you describe with ajax.cloudflare as top line. But ALL BLACK TEXT. Nothing red.

I create filters and turned the line to red text (as I'd expect since I wrote a rule to block that script, etc.) Click/unclick choices, delete rules/exceptions/filters... etc. etc... No effect. Nothing I do there changes the way the page displays. All this semi-convinces me it's not ABP causing the issue.

Now what? And since the page isn't displaying properly in IE8, what else do I look at? (BTW appreciate all the efforts and input.)

I looked around in my CA Total Defense AVS - I see nothing that should impede the site. I am pretty open with accepting cookies and such... yes, I understand the risks. If it's my AVS, I need a pointer as to where to look.

And we still expect the average customer to go through this frustration?

The problem is that I am convinced something changed. If it's on my end... I don't where else to look. But a few days ago the page quit displaying properly for me. I am not convinced it's all on my end, though.

edited December 1969

IE both 8 and 9 seem to be having the same problem, plus there are a bunch of 'new' complaints about the same issue at Wordpress for Cloudflare enabled blogs.

This round of 'lost pics' seems to have started after the last Windows update...

Actually it started with one AV blocking them. Updating it to the most recent version cured it. Then it started again, this time, it's looking like it may be the last Windows update...setting https://www.cloudflare.com to be a trusted site cured it in IE9 for some folks.

As to other AV programs...no idea where to look, but my guess would be in whatever section deals with scripting/cross site scripting protection/so on...

The best places to 'complain' would be MS (yeah, right) and the individual AV/add on suppliers...

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

Still no joy with FF 3x. no pics or avtars in forum.
    Unblocking cloadflare as explained in above post no change.

New problem in IE7, now all the thread post pictures are displaying side by side, instead of under the one before.
    The post text is running off to the right into a dark area making it hard to read.

edited December 1969

Still no joy with FF 3x. no pics or avtars in forum.
    Unblocking cloadflare as explained in above post no change.

New problem in IE7, now all the thread post pictures are displaying side by side, instead of under the one before.
    The post text is running off to the right into a dark area making it hard to read.

Two things...

Make sure that it is C-l-ou-d-f-l-a-r-e and not cloadflare as in your post...

Next and most importantly...FF3.6? ummm...you do realize that about half to two thirds of the updates to FF over the past two years or so fixed the security flaws in that version? (If FF3.6 were a house, it would have been condemned as 'unsafe'.) Plus I'm not sure if some of your problem isn't features that aren't supported by that version...

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 2012

This is my experience with the image not loading completely/properly issue...which tormented me for a few weeks, and eventually the need to view Daz forum images prompted me on a single-minded hunt for solution.

Firefox was of course the chief suspect. I had v13 so I updated to v17. No avail. Tried Chrome. Same issue. Blame it on Adobe Flash, not them. Tried editing option settings in FF, didn't work. Javascript update, nah.

Then, finally, updated to Kaspersky 2013 ( free update for existing subs) did it for me.

Post edited by Mythmaker on
    edited December 2012

mjc1016 said:
    IE both 8 and 9 seem to be having the same problem, plus there are a bunch of 'new' complaints about the same issue at Wordpress for Cloudflare enabled blogs.

This round of 'lost pics' seems to have started after the last Windows update...

Actually it started with one AV blocking them. Updating it to the most recent version cured it. Then it started again, this time, it's looking like it may be the last Windows update...setting https://www.cloudflare.com to be a trusted site cured it in IE9 for some folks.

As to other AV programs...no idea where to look, but my guess would be in whatever section deals with scripting/cross site scripting protection/so on...

The best places to 'complain' would be MS (yeah, right) and the individual AV/add on suppliers...

BTW, what other sites rely on cloudflare scripts?

DAZ site works fine from my work site which surprises me considering I have gotten the "FORBIDDEN WEBSITE" message occasionally when I visit DAZ through work servers.

Since the site works from my work laptop it does appear to be AVS related as that's the major difference immediately obvious. (Norton at work, Total Defense from CA at home.) So I will look further into the AVS.

If the issue is as wide spread as it seems (though still apparently only certain pockets/situations), we can hope that someone at cloudflare is also looking into the matter. (sorry - trying to introduce logic into a system that defies logic.)

I'd like to see if others do give me issues. DAZ, so far is the ONLY site I have probs with. But then that could be because I don't spend a lot of time at other sites that use cloudflare. An other site would be a 'benchmark' to see if I have problems viewing other sites

Post edited by Robert952 on
    edited December 1969

You can download a list of sites that use Cloudflare here http://trends.builtwith.com/topsites/CloudFlare

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

robert952 said:
    I liken it to me going to a shopping mall. I can simply walk into most stores. But one store has a sign out front: "To enter our store you must enter the secret code from our ad in today's paper into the keypad. Then lay on your back and wiggle under our security gate." Yes, I can do it. But is it worth the effort to shop at that store? They better have a product offer I really need or have a tremendous desire to own. Else, I'll find a similar store with a similar offer and take my business elsewhere.

A better analogy would be you're driving down the road, see a store you think looks interesting, but as you pull up outside your car locks all the doors and says "No way, buster, don't know how they do things in there so I'm not letting you go in."

Now clearly that would be outrageous if cars actually behaved that way, but it's how several of the anti-virus companies and other net software companies are now behaving. And DAZ can't do much about it if it's a product you (or your ISP) bought.

Until they learn to treat us as adults, or you change your car dealer, you're stuck with jimmying the door open....

edited December 1969

DWG said:
    robert952 said:

A better analogy would be you're driving down the road, see a store you think looks interesting, but as you pull up outside your car locks all the doors and says "No way, buster, don't know how they do things in there so I'm not letting you go in."

Now clearly that would be outrageous if cars actually behaved that way, but it's how several of the anti-virus companies and other net software companies are now behaving. And DAZ can't do much about it if it's a product you (or your ISP) bought.

Until they learn to treat us as adults, or you change your car dealer, you're stuck with jimmying the door open....

YES!!!! Exactly...and it's gotten to the point that it's hard to say which is the 'extortionware'...the malware that infects you and want you to pay to remove it...or the 'protection' that wants you to pay to be able to go anywhere/do anything.

edited December 1969

DWG Posted: 04 December 2012 10:36 AM [ Report ] [ Ignore ] [ # 55 ]

Total Posts: 746
    Joined 2005-09-19 robert952 - 02 December 2012 02:05 PM

I liken it to me going to a shopping mall. I can simply walk into most stores. But one store has a sign out front: “To enter our store you must enter the secret code from our ad in today’s paper into the keypad. Then lay on your back and wiggle under our security gate.” Yes, I can do it. But is it worth the effort to shop at that store? They better have a product offer I really need or have a tremendous desire to own. Else, I’ll find a similar store with a similar offer and take my business elsewhere.

A better analogy would be you’re driving down the road, see a store you think looks interesting, but as you pull up outside your car locks all the doors and says “No way, buster, don’t know how they do things in there so I’m not letting you go in.”

Now clearly that would be outrageous if cars actually behaved that way, but it’s how several of the anti-virus companies and other net software companies are now behaving. And DAZ can’t do much about it if it’s a product you (or your ISP) bought.

Until they learn to treat us as adults, or you change your car dealer, you’re stuck with jimmying the door open

But can't they help their customers find a solution to using their site? Even if the customer has to implement it themselves.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    You can download a list of sites that use Cloudflare here http://trends.builtwith.com/topsites/CloudFlare

I tried to download it and it took me to a page that said I would have to purchase the Pro Package in order to get the list.

edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    chohole said:

I tried to download it and it took me to a page that said I would have to purchase the Pro Package in order to get the list.

Ah sorry, I didn't follow it that far.

• Lazy LeopardLazy Leopard Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Thoroughly borked here, and has been for several days now., as seen on FireFox 17.0 and now 17.0.1. None have worked since the site went wrong, and it is DAZ that's gone wrong, because it was working fine (well, as close to "fine" as it's got since the great DAZ Migration Disaster back at the beginning of the year...) earlier last week on 17.0, and then it stopped working. The breakage did not happen when I installed 17.0.1, it broke before then. Upshot, of course, is that I go get my 3-D fix elsewhere. ;)

Whilst the most obvious symptom is lack of avatars and images in the forum and shop, another effect seems to be a failure to complete transfers properly, which leaves the browser in endless twiddle mode. Stop, go back, go forward, force reload, and it might deign to give you the full text if you're lucky. However, nothing can get it to provide any images...

They've all been snowballed, I guess...

Post edited by Lazy Leopard on