Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Been mucking around with objects and lighting, only problem I have is the shadow under the monster. infact most of the shadows lol, Any tips?
    These two are named defiance...

Good start, indeed. Apart from what TheSavage64 offered, set the Skydome color in the Sky Lab to black. This is a radial in the zenith that casts no shadow and penetrates everything if it is brighter than black. It washes out shadows.
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 2012

Just some fun with Meta Balls.

I especially like the way the materials also blend into each other.

Lit only with a single overhead Sphere Dome Light.

SpikeBall.jpg
    500 x 500 - 186K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

I especially like the way the materials also blend into each other.

I do agree, the material blending is excellent.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Question, Is an imported tree with almost 178k polygons worth it, do you think. Quick render.

This tree has a nice shape, so I'd see it as a hero object, though I wouldn't bother with bunch of high poly trees that would serve as a background, I'd prefer to keep precious CPU cycles for something different.

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Plucky idea on the zoom-fuzz, dwsel_ ;-)

edited December 1969

More fun with meta-balls.

Face.jpg
    500 x 500 - 120K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

still mucking around with Sculptris, clearly I need to take an art class

santaball.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 454K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Red Rubin.

RedRubin.jpg
    750 x 500 - 216K
    edited December 1969

@Dave
    All you need are the black-framed glasses and you'd have a very convincing portrait of one of the most irritating people in film, ever!

edited December 2012

pumeco said:
    @Dave
    All you need are the black-framed glasses and you'd have a very convincing portrait of one of the most irritating people in film, ever!

Nicolas Cage doesn't wear glasses. :-S

:-)

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 2012

That's true, but what I meant was that if you were to texture him in "Wood" and call him "Allen" ...

Nicolas Cage doesn't annoy me, he just can't act so I just wonder how the hell he got into film in the first place.
    On the other hand, Mr Metaball here can act and direct, but he annoys me.

I have never known anyone other than myself that can rabbit like he can (apart from Rashad perhaps) :lol:

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - nice metaball head.

@Rareth - nice Santa Claus.

@Roland4 - nice cube.

Great modeling work.

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Dipping my toes into Bryce and Daz again, been away a long time, this is from a tutorial from David - http://youtu.be/4ZkAnTa2qs4 really enjoyed doing it, hoping I can break out of this funk i am in. :)
    Thanks for looking, hope everyone is ok.
    Ian :)

Bryce_lake_in_landscape_wm.png
    1500 x 750 - 1M
  • hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    hmmm I have discovered Sculptris, something new and fun to learn.. I might need help is there AA for 3D artists?

I believe they do and that this is their twelve steps. :)

1.We admitted we were powerless over 3D Art - that our lives had become controlled by the time it takes to render
    2.Came to believe that a Computer greater than the one we currently own could restore us to sanity.
    3.Made a decision to turn our will and our finances over to the care of the Daz web site.
    4.Made a searching and fearless purchase inventory of our 3D content collection.
    5.Admitted to Daz, to ourselves, and to strangers on the Daz forum the exact nature of our 3D Art.
    6.Were entirely ready to have Daz run up our credit cards to their limit.
    7.Humbly asked Daz to upgrade Bryce.
    8.Made a list of all persons we had shown our art to, and became willing to show them more even when they didn't ask to see it.
    9.Made posts thanking such people for their comments on our art wherever possible, except when they were rude and criticized our work.
    10.Continued to take content inventory, and when we found something was missing, promptly bought it.
    11.Sought through posts and bug reports to Daz to improve our favorite 3D software, praying only that our render times would improve and our computers would have the power to handle it.
    12.Having developed some skills as the result of these steps, we tried to become vendors selling content to new 3D artists, and to spend our profits on an even more powerful computers

I could possibly be wrong, but it's always been my understanding that the 12 Steps of AA and similar programs were designed to move you away from your addiction, not to pull you further into it.... just sayin' :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

hiker_1 said:
    Rareth said:
    hmmm I have discovered Sculptris, something new and fun to learn.. I might need help is there AA for 3D artists?

1.We admitted we were powerless over 3D Art - that our lives had become controlled by the time it takes to render
    2.Came to believe that a Computer greater than the one we currently own could restore us to sanity.
    3.Made a decision to turn our will and our finances over to the care of the Daz web site.
    4.Made a searching and fearless purchase inventory of our 3D content collection.
    5.Admitted to Daz, to ourselves, and to strangers on the Daz forum the exact nature of our 3D Art.
    8.Made a list of all persons we had shown our art to, and became willing to show them more even when they didn't ask to see it.
    9.Made posts thanking such people for their comments on our art wherever possible, except when they were rude and criticized our work.
    10.Continued to take content inventory, and when we found something was missing, promptly bought it.
    11.Sought through posts and bug reports to Daz to improve our favorite 3D software, praying only that our render times would improve and our computers would have the power to handle it.
    12.Having developed some skills as the result of these steps, we tried to become vendors selling content to new 3D artists, and to spend our profits on an even more powerful computers

I could possibly be wrong, but it's always been my understanding that the 12 Steps of AA and similar programs were designed to move you away from your addiction, not to pull you further into it.... just sayin' :)

But Bryceaholics are proud of their addiction, well I am anyway. Perhaps I am in denial and a 12 step program wouldn't work for me anyway.

• hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I always thought denial was a river in Africa... :|

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    @Dave

Nicolas Cage doesn't wear glasses. :-S

:-)Exactly. He doesnt wear glasses. He carries them. :)
    Wiski glasses.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:

I'm happy to hear you liked this idea.

Your character looks so scared... Very funny indeed! I think separate eyeballs from spheres would be nicer though.

That's a great idea of keychain :) I think I might enjoy having such one. You could think of 3d printing it ;) If you're looking for more realistic human proportions then using base mesh for head would make your work easier. After sculpting the mesh can be sometimes heavy - retopology or decimation of mesh is the best way to deal with that.

Red Rubin.

The sky shade and lighting fits the deign.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 2012

hiker_1 said:
    Rareth said:

Well what can I say, but every now and then you gotta break from tradition. ;)

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:
    pumeco said:

I'm happy to hear you liked this idea.

Your character looks so scared... Very funny indeed! I think separate eyeballs from spheres would be nicer though.

That's a great idea of keychain :) I think I might enjoy having such one. You could think of 3d printing it ;) If you're looking for more realistic human proportions then using base mesh for head would make your work easier. After sculpting the mesh can be sometimes heavy - retopology or decimation of mesh is the best way to deal with that.

Red Rubin.

The sky shade and lighting fits the deign.

hmm I guess I could import a Figure mesh and work from there.. will have to try that in a bit

edited December 1969

Fun with materials.

LionsGrass.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 770K
    edited December 1969

Dipping my toes into Bryce and Daz again, been away a long time, this is from a tutorial from David - http://youtu.be/4ZkAnTa2qs4 really enjoyed doing it, hoping I can break out of this funk i am in. :)
    Thanks for looking, hope everyone is ok.
    Ian :)

Good to see you back. Bryce is fun.
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I'm impressed with the speed this thread is moving along! I see Dave is trying to melt his processor with material tests. That's the kinda thing I like to see! Not processor melting - material tests. I've not been entirely idle - but I have found a bit of time to Bryce, so I've started preparing some source files for DVD2. Here are five scenes to go with

Bryce desert landscape - part 1 - a 15 minute tutorial in two parts by David Brinnen
    Bryce desert landscape - part 2 - a 15 minute tutorial in two parts by David Brinnen

I will also record a short video to accompany these specific scenes to explain what minor changes, subtraction and additions I've made to form these five variants.

Bryce_desert_landscape_v4.jpg
    637 x 850 - 129K
    Bryce_desert_landscape_v3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 507K
    Bryce_desert_landscape_v2.jpg
    889 x 500 - 240K
    Bryce_desert_landscape_v1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 606K
    Bryce_desert_landscape_v0.jpg
    889 x 500 - 173K
    edited December 1969

That last one is very nice indeed, nice effect as well.

edited December 1969

@ David: At an average of ten minutes per render, I don't think it'll melt my processor... but stranger things have happened so I hear.
    And what's this? Lens Flare? :-)

Meanwhile: Fun with lights.

LightPattern2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 100K
    LightPattern.jpg
    500 x 500 - 143K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Len,

Yes Dave, sort of, trying to simulate the light getting into the lens sort of. But it just looked like an interesting effect. I like the lighting experiments. Here's a weird one to consider, if you make a HDRI which is an entire rainbow using this material Bryce 10 minute material project - rainbow texture - a tutorial by David Brinnen with the apex where all the rainbows meet at the pole over your head. And you have a street grey street lamp on a grey flat plane, what shadows does the HDRI produce?

edited December 2012

@David - the last one is exceptional!

I made a comment many pages above (can't find it anymore) about making the lights created from an HDRI visible. I took an old scene and tried it again - and finding out that an HDRI can create incredible bright speculartity.

The odd shapes are cut Klein-Bottles modeled by David quite a while ago. The sphere at right reflects the Tourbillion Room HDRI, the centre one shows the lights generated by it. The lights ought to be tiny 1 pixel spots but are blurred and hence large. The small torus is also lit by specularity and 0.025 grey diffuse.

VisibleMedianCut3.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 411K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo. Yes making the lights visible is a fun thing to do. I have tried over and again to use this effect to create Bokeherize a HDRI but so far without reasonable success.

edited December 1969

@Dave

geekmode/

The sphere in the middle of that second one reminds me of the old "Central TV" logo we had in the UK:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FTjFe1gD8M

/end geekmode

edited December 1969

Thanks David. Bokeh - I haven't forgotten. It's just that there are a couple of things afoot that need my attention.

This discussion has been closed.