Poser is being A PITA. HELP.

iDiruiDiru Posts: 696
edited December 2012 in The Commons

I spent FOREVER working on this scene. Approximately six hours. That is not exaggeration. But it keeps messing up!
I tried to add another figure and it totally reset one of the figures faces. I spent hours working on this guys face previously so that's pretty shitty. So I closed and went back to the earlier save file and even though his face was fine before IT WAS STILL MESSED UP IN THE SAVE FILE.
I deleted him and reloaded him, RE POSED HIM, RE EVERYTHING'D HIM. His face was back to normal now. So I tried rendering over night. Woke up to find my whole computer restarted and there's not even one half render of the picture in the render gallery.
Tried it AGAIN this morrning, renders a grey screen, go back to preview, HIS FACE IS AGAIN. And it's only THAT one figure.
I do NOT WANT to reload and repose him and reapply all his clothes again I am getting so pissed off.
My bucket size is 1.
I know the greey screen is a memory problem but WTF HIS FACE.
What can I do aout his stupid face so that I don't have to redo everything and how do I fix this?

edit: This is the scene I am working on. I loaded the original figure and put him next to the one that keeps gimping up to show what his face is supposed to look like.
The one by the chair and the one on the floor both have exactly the same morph things loaded; morphs ++ and ultramorphs. Floor guy is just fine always..

Some Judicious editing by a Moderator, as we do not have content advisory filters for profanities.

Post edited by iDiru on

Comments

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

Also, do you have "Use External Binary Morph Targets" checked or unchecked?
    Edit>General Preferences>Misc. (Where to find out)

• iDiruiDiru Posts: 696
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    iDiru said:
    I spent FOREVER working on this scene. Approximately six hours. That is not exaggeration. But it keeps messing up!
    I tried to add another figure and it totally reset one of the figures faces. I spent hours working on this guys face previously so that's pretty shitty. So I closed and went back to the earlier save file and even though his face was fine before IT WAS STILL MESSED UP IN THE SAVE FILE.
    I deleted him and reloaded him, RE POSED HIM, RE EVERYTHING'D HIM. His face was back to normal now. So I tried rendering over night. Woke up to find my whole computer restarted and there's not even one half render of the picture in the render gallery.
    Tried it AGAIN this morrning, renders a grey screen, go back to preview, HIS FACE IS AGAIN. And it's only THAT one figure.
    I do NOT WANT to reload and repose him and reapply all his clothes again I am getting so pissed off.
    My bucket size is 1.
    I know the greey screen is a memory problem but WTF HIS FACE.
    What can I do aout his stupid face so that I don't have to redo everything and how do I fix this?

Well, I would recommend that first - work on your language - their are delicate flowers in this forum who are very offended by it.

You haven't actually provided any USEFUL information. Take a deep breath, and let's start from the beginning

1. What version of Poser are you using?

2. What are your system specs - in between the profanities - it looks like the FFrender crapped out - this is usually a memory issue.

3. What figures (V4 - Sydney - Anastasia - etc) are you loading up?

4. What morphs are you using for each figure?
    I didn't know cursing was a problem on here.
    Pro 2012
    Do you mean what's in the DX Diag or what?
    I'm using 3 M4s. Only one of them is having a problem.
    I'm using Morphs ++ for three figures and ultra morphs on two. Only one with utlramorphs is messing up the other is just fine.
    But what does the FFRender have to do with this gimped face?

edited December 1969

jmper said:

yes it's checked
    edited December 1969

iDiru said:
    jmper said:

yes it's checked

I would uncheck it as it tends to really cause more problems than not.

edited December 2012

From what I can tell reading about ultramorphs is that....

Are you loading up M4s and injecting the morphs as your build the scene? Or are they presaved characters that you just load in the scene?

If you are doing the prior....then the ultramorph may be "spazing out" (non technical term) and reseting.

You could delete that one figure. Save the scene. Recreate just that one figure. Save that figure. Then load up the scene and load that newly saved character back into the scene.

Post edited by jmper on
    edited December 1969

jmper said:
    From what I can tell reading about ultramorphs is that....

Are you loading up M4s and injecting the morphs as your build the scene? Or are they presaved characters that you just load in the scene?

If you are doing the prior....then the ultramorph may be "spazing out" (non technical term) and reseting.

You could delete that one figure. Save the scene. Recreate just that one figure. Save that figure. Then load up the scene and load that newly saved character back into the scene.

No I am not they have already been preloaded long ago. I made this specific character weeks ago and have him saved in my library.
    Also, like I said, two of them have ultramorphs. Only one is going bad.
    edited December 2012

Then I am thinking the ultramorphs embedded in the external binary morph file is applying to only one figure and resetting the other.
    then you can: delete the messed up figure. save the scene with "external binary morph targets" unchecked. open up your figure and save it again with the same option unchecked. Now open your scene and reload the figure back into the scene.

Post edited by jmper on
    edited December 1969

Update.
    I tried rendering again and it rendered grey. Tried going back to preview now all I have is a black screen and a dialogue box with no dialogue and I can't even close it.

edited December 1969

The grey screen, as you mentioned, is probably a memory issue. How much does your computer have? The texture size for each individual item also eats up a chunk of your Ram as well and some of the newer items and character textures use large textures. Basically, any advance feature will eat away at your Ram (shadows, displacement, raytrace...).

edited December 1969

jmper said:
    The grey screen, as you mentioned, is probably a memory issue. How much does your computer have? The texture size for each individual item also eats up a chunk of your Ram as well and some of the newer items and character textures use large textures. Basically, any advance feature will eat away at your Ram (shadows, displacement, raytrace...).

I don't know where to find how much ramm my ocmputer has
    but what's with the black screen and dialogueless dialogue box?
    edited December 1969

Windows 7...Click on the start button, right click on "computer", select properties and it should say in in the window that pops up.

Black screen and box with no dialogue still may be a Ram issue. Poser will behave weird if you top out your Ram. Stop rendering, go crazy, crash, act normal. Basically like a lot of programs when your memory is maxed. They will spaz out.

edited December 1969

jmper said:
    Windows 7...Click on the start button, right click on "computer", select properties and it should say in in the window that pops up.

Black screen and box with no dialogue still may be a Ram issue. Poser will behave weird if you top out your Ram. Stop rendering, go crazy, crash, act normal. Basically like a lot of programs when your memory is maxed. They will spaz out.

Weird thing is though that everything else like the internet and junk was still fine...
    But here's my ram.
    4.00 GB 3.47 usable
    edited December 2012

4Gb for rendering stuff now-a-days isn't so much (not a knock against you, just the unfortunate side effect of current 3d rendering). 1 figure and a small scene may get my computer near 2gb especially with all the advance render settings turned on.

To really know if it is truly a Ram issue...save your scene first then delete all but 1 figure and try to render the scene again.

Post edited by jmper on
    edited December 2012

jmper said:
    4Gb for rendering stuff now-a-days isn't so much (not a knock against you, just the unfortunate side effect of current 3d rendering). 1 figure and a small scene may get my computer near 2gb especially with all the advance render settings turned on.

To really know if it is truly a Ram issue...save your scene first then delete all but 1 figure and try to render the scene again.

I have rendered more intensive things though I think. I've rendered stuff that's almost 100 percent reflective glass. Rendered three m4s before. I even deleted the third problematic one and now it won't render it just keeps being grey. I've restarted after every render attempt.
    I've had higher render settings than this before.
    I don't think it's the ram.
    Also it takes ages to actually delete a figure and there's quite a few in there so it would take forever to delete them.
    I just reformatted my computer recently but I don't feel like that has anything to do with it.
    And now, I juts tried to reload it. There's NO lights, and only two figures.... Everything else is gone. Luckily I made a backup but STILL .
    Post edited by iDiru on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 2012

...I can't speak for the morphing issue as I rarely use more than two figures in a scene and don't use any Elite textures or morphs. However rendering and viewport ills are something I am all too familiar with.

As someone who works within extreme memory limitations (2GB useable out of 4 as I am in 32 bit) I resort to a number of tricks to ease system load while rendering. While I predominantly use Daz Studio4.5, I also have, and work with Poser Pro 2010.

One of the issues I frequently experience with Daz4.5 is the viewport going grey if I make to big of a morph/transition slider adjustment or camera move when I am working on a scene. This is not so much memory as it is OpenGL related since my system barely meets the application's minimum OGL requirement. What GPU do you have, and what version of OpenGL does it support? While the "minimum" rating means the app "most likely" will work, the optimal rating (I think 2012 lists that) is recommended for essentially "trouble free" operation.

I also learned that sometimes one thing (like having three M4s) works OK in once instance and doesn't in another. A lot of times it has to do with the particular scene elements (props, lights, backgrounds, hair, clothing, etc). For one, I notice there appears to be a lot of reflectivity in the scene. The satin drapes, the leather clothing texture, the leather chair, the window glass, and quite possibly the paneling and floor if they are supposed to have that "polished wood" look. Next, there are the transmaps and gloss of the hair which require extra calculations and thus add to the size of the renderfile. If you are using ray traced shadows, you may also want to check your ray depth, as the higher it is, the more calculations that are required as well.

So quite possibly it could be the combination of all these things in one scene that, while individually may have rendered OK, but together (along at the pixel size of the final rendered scene) could be more than your system's available memory is able to handle.

Sometimes it may also be just one small thing.

A while back I had a scene that used several wall segments and the floor of Jack Tomalin's Baroque Grandeur which kept crashing at the same point in the render. After trying a myriad of fixes, which included reducing the set's texture files, having the render engine ignore the transmaps of the hair, and changing from ray traced to mapped shadows, I discovered it was the reflectivity and refraction index (both set at a default of 100%) of the hanging crystals on a lamp in the background. A very very small, almost insignificant component but one that my system just didn't like. After I turned the settings down, the render completed without a hitch.

While time consuming, I would check the surface settings of all the elements in the scene

I look at the texture sizes of scene elements. Anything that is in the background will not suffer visually if you reduce the texture size in a 2D app like Photoshop or Gimp. Of course you have to save the reduced texture image under a different name like say "[texture name] small.jpg" so it doesn't overwrite the original one.

I never render to the active viewport. In Daz Studio I render directly to a file. In Pro 2010 I either render in "Background Mode" or do so through the Queue Manager.

Prior to rendering, I switch the viewport to wireframe view which also reduces the "memory footprint" of the scene file because the system doesn't have to devote RAM to displaying the textures, lights, shadows, and other effects.

If all else fails, there is always the option of rendering in multiple passes, say one figure at a time, and compositing the scene in a 2D app. While it is more work on one hand, it would minimise if not eliminate the chance of the render process crashing because the render file would not be as "heavy" as it is with all three figures. This could also help avoid the morphing crosstalk ills you are experiencing with the one character standing behind the seated one.

Post edited by kyoto kid on