Urban Sprawl 3 ---what do you want to see in the new city?

StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
edited December 1969 in The Commons

hey guys..production on Urban Sprawl 3 is going well :)
...I'd like to get some feedback from users of US2
what would you like to see in a new city environment?,what don't you like about US2?

I'll share some images of what I have so far in the coming weeks but right now would love to hear what others think about the idea of another big city

thanks
Stefan

Comments

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,506
    edited December 1969

This won't be much of help to you for this particular case, but if you ever made a medieval or fantasy city to the scale and with the detail of your modern day and sci-fi Urban Sprawls, I would eat cat food in order to save enough to buy it. ;)

• dramenondramenon Posts: 52
    edited December 2012

For the Urban City 3:
    - maybe a giant bridge
    - Statue of Liberty-esque setting, sans ocean.
    - Seattle Space needle type of landmark.
    - Old Paris style

AND I would love to see as the previous poster asked:
    Medieval period sprawl > http://kis-campbell-english.wikispaces.com/file/view/medieval_city-1.jpg/46993153/medieval_city-1.jpg
    I'd even be willing to help design it :)

Or a "Fallout" style landscape sprawl!

Whatever you do will be fantastic...

Post edited by dramenon on
  • Maxim KovalenkoMaxim Kovalenko Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

I'd like to see some empty interiors. Give me some interior walls and maybe a couple doors here and there that I can get disappeared. That way I could roll my own living room (or somesuch) looking out on to your city scene.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552
    edited December 1969

Looking at how US2 is layed out and being a modeler also and for my personal preference in scenes, i would like to see something similar to a central park type setup. the larger sky scrapers more around the edges to provide a backdrop for ground scenes in the interior. a central park type area for more diverse scenes, ones with animals, dogs, cats, horses and carriages, etc. maybe a small lake area in the park for picnics (or the creature from the underground tar pits, LOL) then around the park area or across the street from it, small shops and outdoor cafe type areas. You could even leave out the small items like tables and chairs at the cafes and just have a believable area where the user can add any decor or furniture for the type scene they are working on. Maybe a long bridge on one edge of town with a hilly terrain on the far opposite side just to add a background. With a detailed area either viewing from the bridge or a location on the shore, kinda like looking at the golden gate bridge from the banks. Just my 2 cents.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited December 2012

I'm interested in ledges, balconeys and rooftops for dramatic fight/rescue scenes. I like it when ledges have a believable 'lip' so the character might actually be able to hold on.

I also like graffiti, and sci-fi modern looking cyberpunk looking places, and apartments for the character to hang out.

Dramatic open windows to pose a character by are also cool. Especially if they have nice view.

Edit to add:

A firescape would be great as well.

Just stuff you might see in a typical police film, chase scene would be stuff I'd like.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,756
    edited December 1969

Well, since you asked...

What I'd like to see are some inter-changeable facades so that the same base building's appearance could be quickly altered to have more (or less) shopfronts, restaurants, hotel fronts, banks, legal offices & other types of businesses, as needed. These could be supplemented by an ongoing series of add on packs that would bend the basic US3 pack to look more like a city from a particular region... ie third floor and up business signs, telescreens and external air-conditioners for "Japan," cast-iron building fronts and theater marquees for "New York," street cafes and art galleries for "France," etc.

Also, some separate interiors that match the appearance of the existing exteriors would be nice.

And... certainly a bit too much for US3, but how about a full downtown shopping center as a future product?

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

Simple. A map.
    The last one was so huge!

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

dramenon said:
    For the Urban City 3:
    - maybe a giant bridge
    - Old Paris style
    Medieval period sprawl > http://kis-campbell-english.wikispaces.com/file/view/medieval_city-1.jpg/46993153/medieval_city-1.jpg

I like of these ideas.

Perhaps some elevation is in order. Have a train bridge with an underpass or have the bridge for cars.
    Having water front property would be cool
    For a mix of old and new, I think of the City of Quebec in Canada.

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166
    edited December 2012

How about a place to eat and buy clothes and food :) Signs and Advertisements all over

Edit.. original idea was for future urban :P

Post edited by Wallace3D on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

I happen to use Both of the Urban Sprawls, (Hint hint DS Mats for #1 would Rock but that's not for now). I would love to see at least one section like the mid city TriBecka homes and Apartments. All with steps to the upper Main doors and some with the Basement apartments, with the stairs down to them. And the Cop shows are a perfect example of what I mean. Row of Homes/Apartments with a Bodaga or Shop on the corner.

A few Doors or a Morphing Door to be used would be VERY nice if you could swing that.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 2012

I loved both Urban Sprawl 1 &2.
    The scale of Urban Sprawl 2 was wonderful. The little details were nice.
    In Urban Sprawl 3, lets have more of the same.
    In your WIP thread for Urban Sprawl 2, I vaguely remember seeing an overpass. Let's have that for US3.
    A nice Urban scene from Asia (maybe Bangkok or Shanghai) would be unique.
    Thanks for asking us Stoneman and thanks for working on US3!!

PS Carrara users appreciate a version for us, like you did with Tin Pan Alley.

Post edited by tsarist on
  • BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited December 1969

I would like to see more taller buildings. Something like the Chrysler building would be awesome!

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2012

maybe some "dark" places, places where one should not go...maybe a redlight district :)...some dark narrow alleys, a part of the city where some ruins are, maybe some fallow land with dirt and a fence wodden fence around it and maybe with an old corrugated steel shed (this should be a single prop for other use, also some of the buildings and the fallow land area). Some of the buildings should have doors open/close with a little room behind or so.

some buildings should look like in tin pen alley, more industrial brick textures and buildings

or maybe a small river with a bridge or bridges over railways or something like that would be great.

Post edited by cosmo71 on
  • estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

well I really had trouble making one of your scenes look like newyork because of the way round of the street signs. They drive on the right in america. If there were some americans streets or flippable roads that would be great.
    Other than that your scenes are always terrific. I like highways and byways. Poser compatability. Low poly road traffic with headlights that make real light on the roads.
    Love esther

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

maybe a cemetery and a chapel

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Some areas with urban/suburban crossover areas. In other words, areas that were originally suburbs that were overtaken by city growth and became part of the urban edge.

A great feature would be to have each building a different material zone so that each could be changed, even if each shipped initially with the same textures.

Kendall

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
    edited December 1969

If Urban Sprawl was 1 retextured, Urban Sprawl 3 wouldnt need that much. Im in agreement of a "Central Park" kinda area in US3, or a decent sized Park District that offered things like: a baseball/softball diamond, outdoor swiming pool, full court basketball court, skate park, etc. Bridges and Overpasses is also something im in definite agreement to.

-MJ

edited December 1969

one of the stonemason sets already has a little basketball court.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

I'd love to see a city set in the nightlife :) Lots of night club entrances, the streets polluted with lights and neons, a place where you'd expect vast crowds of people and bouncers at every door, flashy cars and what not... I also like the idea of multiple levels of platforms and walk ways. Something a foot pursuit "freerunning" style would be movie grade :cheese:

• atozedatozed Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Something like this, with better textures, would be really useful to me. Especially if it was modular, sort of like a cityscape play set. A modular approach would also facilitate some of the great ideas that other people have brought forward (especially the central park idea).

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited December 1969

Gotham

• Tyger PurrTyger Purr Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rooftop landing pad.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited December 1969

I would love to see a modern shoppingstreet with stores and such.

edited December 1969

yes, lots of billboards etc. Neon signs etc.

• Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

A large underground tunnel...

edited December 1969

tunnels are always good.

edited December 1969

Wow, I just read the US2 page and it says that it took you 2 years to built!
    Impressive you have the nerves for such a project!
    Is there an app. release date?

• FURBFURB Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

If you showed us some screen shots Stefan *cough* maybe we could help you out even more ......*shifty eyes*

edited December 2012

FURB said:
    If you showed us some screen shots Stefan *cough* maybe we could help you out even more ......*shifty eyes*

Yeah!
    We love to be of service *grin*

I want to add that even though this kind of purchases are more expensive then the little figures, it is well worth it as it is so versatile.

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

I was thinking of a more European-style city with mostly older buildings but with some modern architecture, particularly based around a river or waterways, as many cities are (Stockholm being perhaps an extreme example!). It would also be nice to see some of those bonkers buildings like we have in London, such as The Shard, 3 St Mary Axe (the Gherkin) or City Hall.