What is the maximum number of items that can be installed in the runtime?

Korvis BlackKorvis Black Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I know, I am a DAZaholic! I have over 360 packages (clothing, characters, bundles, etc) downloaded, but stopped installing them when my system started to give me a "not responding" error. I know I can re-sort and compress the database, but is there an actual limit to how much can be installed in the runtime?

It would be great to find out, since if I have to pick and choose which ones I can install, I will need to decide which ones will be most required.

Thanks in a advance.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

That shouldn't be a problem, I have much more than that, and others have far more than I do.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Basically...how big is your hard drive?

There really isn't a limit on the number of items. But the database manager does have a rather small cache, but it can be increased, so there isn't much worry there. The real limit, is drive space.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

130gig, not there yet ;)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Basically...how big is your hard drive?

There really isn't a limit on the number of items. But the database manager does have a rather small cache, but it can be increased, so there isn't much worry there. The real limit, is drive space.

This. Between my old Poser and new DAZ stuff plus WIP versions of my own products, I've got well over 500 gb of content in three runtimes. I have two 2tb hard drives and a 500 gb one as well and the vast majority of their filled space is runtimes and my Blender/GIMP development files!

• Korvis BlackKorvis Black Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for the info. Now all I have to do is figure out how to increase the cache size so that I can install all my downloads (have not installed anything new for months!)

Thanks again!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for the info. Now all I have to do is figure out how to increase the cache size so that I can install all my downloads (have not installed anything new for months!)

Thanks again!

The CMS cache is in the ini file in the CMS exe folder...it is set for a 10 MB size which is probably good for most moderate sized runtimes. Get above, maybe, a 40 or 50 GB worth of content with metadata, then bumping up to 20 or so MB for the cache would be a good idea. But one of the things that can happen with a smaller cache, and I think this is the case here, (stuff I've read on Valentina's faqs and such) is that adding a lot of new data, with a small cache can slow things down, temporarily. On average, a 10 MB cache is several hundred records, so most people aren't going to hit that, because they don't have that many items that have metadata that's tracked by the CMS. Basically, up it if you want...but for 'normal' use, the size it's at is fine for most folks.

I did a few tests and on my system with my runtime, I saw a increase in performance going from 10 to 15MB, a smaller one going from 15 to 20. nothing from 20 to 30 and a drop off when I hit 30MB...my 'sweet spot' seems to be around 18 MB...

Another thing and more likely to slow things down during an install...Windows 'default' disk writing strategy. Installing individual files, spread out over time, it can keep up. Rapid fire/batch install and it slows down. This can also slow down the system as a whole, especially if there is an AV scanning everything during the install process and depending on the version of Windows, what level of protections/UAE/user permissions there are. All of which, combined with the CMS furiously adding data to its cache and it could be very easy to overwhelm a system.

I guess what I'm getting at is to slow down, make sure that each installer is completely finished and that most of the disk activity is done before starting the next installer..that way, everything has a chance to do what it is supposed to.

• Korvis BlackKorvis Black Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the info regarding the cache size setting.

I have just done the increase to 18MB as per your own experience.

I only do a few installs at a time, and typically slowly, so things should install properly - at least I hope they do.

Again, thanks for the info.