shader to gild a surface?

gabugabu Posts: 303
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I want to be able to gild a surface, possibly with gold but ideally with any texture I can specify.

I assume I will need a shader to do it.

Does anyone know how it can be done?

Thanks.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Metals are mainly distinguished by the way they reflect light - try experimenting with the reflection colour and strength (assuming there's stuff in the scene to reflect), and also refraction. In DAZ Studio try changing the lighting model to modify the way the specular colours apply.

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just tried an ultimate shader pack metal but it converts the entire surface to metal as though it was plated rather than applying a sort of burnishing effect to whatever is already there.

An example of what I am trying to do is to take the Sabbatic Goat's horns which are quite grooved through bump and displacement maps and get them to reflect light as though they had had gold polishing/gilding so the underlying colours and textures would still be there but the grooves (or their peaks, rather) would catch and reflect light.

I am getting something vaguely approximating the effect using pweffect on a geometric shell over the horns but it is hardly very subtle and will probably need a bit of work to make it how I am wanting:

g12b-1mx.jpg
    315 x 262 - 15K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited October 2012

You prolly want omnifreaker's improved ubersurface 2 shader. I managed to give Millennium Cat some tiled Furify displacements while keeping the moggy's original fur colors intact.

Edit: Aha! This one!

Post edited by Skiriki on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have a set of Shaders well two sets really but the one you might like is the second one.
    SuperShine Shaders
    SuperShine TopCoat
    Free so it wont hurt to look.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited October 2012

Put reflection to a value > 0. You can begin with 100% then decrease until your liking. If the effect is not sufficient, you can try to put a reflection map

With DS Default materal you can put any standard image map (non HDR)

With Uber surface you have two parameters. One for the color, the other for the strenght.

I don't know for PwSurface but I'm sure such options are also available. Otherwise, you'll just have raytraced reflections with it

Last thing is to get a good map for the reflections

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
  • ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Okay, one further note - if you want a drybrushed effect, where only the raised surfaces are affected, you will likely have to edit the textures themselves...

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Metals are mainly distinguished by the way they reflect light - try experimenting with the reflection colour and strength (assuming there's stuff in the scene to reflect), and also refraction. In DAZ Studio try changing the lighting model to modify the way the specular colours apply.
    To add to what Richard said and if you want to make your own...

If I am thinking of the right thing gilding is only on certain parts of an item and not all over.

You would need specific specular maps to do this. It could probably be set up using a mix block in Shadermixer. You would need to have an alpha for where you wanted the shading and also a specific specular map as well. The alpha would tell the program where to put the colour of the gilding and the spec would show where you want the shine. That's why you would need both...

Once set up you would be able to change maps to suit the item being used.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

I still say SuperShine TopCoat with the refection color set to gold is a quick and easy way to do this. Just my two Cents.

EDIT: TESTED, nope does not look gilded with gold. Sorry. Still good shaders to have. :cheese:

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Here's an attempt I made...

I used Cooltuna's Ram's horns for M4

I first made a quick and dirty displacement map for them...just some dark grey squiggles and blotches on a medium grey background. I actually did that as a layer in Gimp, so the next step would be easier. Then I played with the levels to get the dark grey to almost black and then filled the medium grey with an almost white. The flattened image (black/white) became a strength map for the reflection channel. I plugged a gold reflection map into the reflection color...

The original greyscale map became the displacement map. I set negative displacement only, and a high strength.

As you can see the 'high' areas are golden and the low areas are not...

gilded.jpg
    657 x 918 - 106K
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

I first made a quick and dirty displacement map for them...just some dark grey squiggles and blotches on a medium grey background. I actually did that as a layer in Gimp, so the next step would be easier. Then I played with the levels to get the dark grey to almost black and then filled the medium grey with an almost white. The flattened image (black/white) became a strength map for the reflection channel. I plugged a gold reflection map into the reflection color...

The original greyscale map became the displacement map. I set negative displacement only, and a high strength.

Very nice mjc! Sometimes it's easier to just use the surface tab...I think we sometimes forget that...
  • gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions. For some reason even though subscribed to the thread I got no notifications of postings.

I will give your suggestions a try.

In the mean time I think I have succeeded in getting the effect that I wanted using the geometry shell and pweffects but it is not a generalised solution to the problem:

g12b-3ax.jpg
    287 x 238 - 10K
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:

Very nice mjc! Sometimes it's easier to just use the surface tab...I think we sometimes forget that...

But...but...that was just a first step on trying to make a generic shader...mix bridks...step or smooth step...yeah..

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:
    mjc1016 said:

But...but...that was just a first step on trying to make a generic shader...mix bridks...step or smooth step...yeah..

lol.. I must admit that was where my head was initially heading not sure if it could be done without maps though...

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    lol.. I must admit that was where my head was initially heading not sure if it could be done without maps though...

There should be a way to read an existing map and slot it into the appropriate brick. It would probably have to be a scripted operation...but my idea would be click on the icon (from the content library) and it checks for the appropriate map (spec or displacement) and if it finds one, slots it into a conversion to black and white (found that works best with everything above a medium-light grey going to white and everything below going to black) and then applies a gold, bronze, brass, silver or chrome reflection map...all while leaving everything else except the reflection channel unchanged...but I haven't got a clue where to begin with it.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Pendraia said:

There should be a way to read an existing map and slot it into the appropriate brick. It would probably have to be a scripted operation...but my idea would be click on the icon (from the content library) and it checks for the appropriate map (spec or displacement) and if it finds one, slots it into a conversion to black and white (found that works best with everything above a medium-light grey going to white and everything below going to black) and then applies a gold, bronze, brass, silver or chrome reflection map...all while leaving everything else except the reflection channel unchanged...but I haven't got a clue where to begin with it.lol neither do I ... that's way above what I'm capable of!

I had been thinking along the lines of using the displacement to decide what went where but I don't know if that would work or how to go about it. Something along the lines of if displacement greater than .05 apply gold reflections.

• VueiyVueiy Posts: 515
    edited December 2012

I didn't realize this until recently, but adjusting the specularity and bump maps is a great way to "gild" something. Choose the surface (advanced, not basic), change the specular color to a gold color, leave the strength @ 100%, but then select a texture map for the strength tab (not the color, but STRENGTH). The texture map will work like bump maps do (and depending on what you want, you might actually use a bump map for this). The white parts of the map will show up completely, fading off in shades of gray, w/ black not showing up at all. If you want it to be shiny, change the lighting model to glossy plastic or metal.

In the picture below, look at the girl's headband. The bump map (or displacement, I forget which one I used here) is set so that the gold leaf design is noticeably raised. I used the same map for the specular strength map, w/ the color set to a pale gold (the base texture is a grayscale texture w/ pink diffuse color) in order to make it look a bit more like embroidery. Ignore the transparency glitch. :)

Mairwen_Transparency_Glitch.png
    823 x 779 - 661K
    Post edited by Vueiy on