Genesis V4 UVS Seam Guides?

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hey all... I've posted the Genesis Mesh with V4UVS on ShareCG. I'm wondering, since it appears that the Victoria 4 UVS are probably not going to go away for Genesis, would a set of seam guides for Genesis with the V4 UVS be helpful?

I was just working on this for myself, mostly to place LIE Makeup I want to make...

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

Considering Bruno is set up with using the V4 UV's but transferring him over to Genesis then any new UV's to help me out with are much appreciated. Are you doing the full body or just the face?

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited November 2012

I wasn't going to, but as I was working on this portion, I thought maybe it might be a good idea... I'm trying to get into texture creation myself, so eventually it'll be useful to me, personally... it's just a bit of work. I'm first going to finish around the eyes because of the whole Eyebrow issue...

I'm setting these up as BASE Resolution map. That is, when the Genesis Mesh is not subdivided. I'm hoping that'll be good enough.

And, again, I'm thinking that the V4 UVS is going to be the default standard for Genesis... that's just the way it's shaping up...

Post edited by wancow on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

Yea, the V4 UV's are the default for Genesis unless DAZ has changed that with updates....

edited December 1969

Not what I meant... what I mean is that most textures produced for Genesis by other vendors are and will continue to be V4UVS based.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

I made seam guides for V4 a while ago and they should work just fine for Genesis as long as the UV is set to Victoria 4.

Guides are here: http://www.snowsultan.com/seams/v4_seamguides.zip

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,833
    edited December 1969

Most might think that Snow, but as I found out Genesis doesn't actually take Gen 4 textures very well, the limbs are twisted and distorted, it 's hard to see with skin textures but add a second skin outfit and boy does it stand out like a sore thumb.

I posted this pic in another thread, it's a WIP stocking shader for V4, on the right is V4 and on the left is Genesis with the V4 UV set.

Wonky_UVs.jpg
    805 x 647 - 102K
    edited December 1969

I made seam guides for V4 a while ago and they should work just fine for Genesis as long as the UV is set to Victoria 4.

Guides are here: http://www.snowsultan.com/seams/v4_seamguides.zip

If you compare the Genesis UVS to the V4UVS, you'll find this is not true. The problems with the brows, for instance, are a problem with placement on the mesh, because the UVS do not match well enough on the face.

edited December 1969

Bejaymac, did you also set that Genesis' body shape to Victoria 4 at 1.000?

edited November 2012

SS, here are the two side by side, Genesis with the V4 shape and nothing else applied.

For those of you that can't figure out which is which: genesis is the phat one.

gen-v4uvs2.jpg
    471 x 622 - 86K
    gen-v4uvs1.jpg
    456 x 603 - 129K
    Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

K, thanks for posting that. Is that the subdivided Genesis mesh? It looks a little low-poly, but I'm not sure offhand.

Of course nothing's stopping you from making a seam guide for Genesis V4 and if it helps other people too, that's always a good thing.

edited December 1969

It's at base resolution. I figured that was the best place to be for this project. Unless you can think of a reason to use a higher res...

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Not what I meant... what I mean is that most textures produced for Genesis by other vendors are and will continue to be V4UVS based.

I really hope not.
    Genesis is gaining more and more UV's it would be nice to see vendors actually using them.

edited December 1969

We'll see how it shakes out... I'm just judging based on what's happening. I know that at least one of the new Stephanie 5 characters is based on V4UVS

edited December 2012

wancow said:
    It's at base resolution. I figured that was the best place to be for this project. Unless you can think of a reason to use a higher res...

I don't think it makes any difference, no.

The only problem with making a seam guide for the Genesis V4 UVs is that because there is a difference between it and the normal V4 UVs, textures made to fit the Genesis V4 won't look quite right on original V4 either...either way, "V4" textures aren't going to look exactly right on one of them. People are going to make textures using the V4 and M4 templates for as long as those figures are still used because the textures will work perfectly on one figure and almost perfectly on another. If they make them using the Genesis Basic Female UVs for example, the texture will only work on that.

I'll point this thread out to some DAZ guys and see if anyone takes an interest. Thanks for pointing out the differences.

SnowS

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Is there a 'M4 Genesis' seam guide? I ask because I find all my textures don't align up on the eye lids, I end up with the skin from below the eyelid on the eye lid lol (Not good for closeups)

I've been tackling painting the eye lids, but it's so fiddly without a UV Template.

Again, I'm looking for 'Genesis M4' template not M4 lol