Regarding Poser and Genesis and SubDiv...

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I don't use Poser (anymore) so this is more about curiosity... Poser doesn't support SubDiv (except at rendertime) so... when we export Genesis to Poser via DSON, does the Genesis figure get subdivided and weight mapped for Poser at that point?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

No, the plugin is able to apply live SubD to the figure - that's can be slow, which is why scripts are included to turn the SubD off and on.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited November 2012

Oh, so DAZ provided SubDiv to Poser? Haysus... that almost makes it worth going back to Poser!

But I just discovered Poser Pose.... which is... well, not giving THAT up!

Post edited by wancow on
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited December 1969

Can someone tell me what Subdivision Level 1,2 or off means and when to use it ...

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2012

Sub-D adds more geometry so the mesh will look smoother. Off uses the base level of geometry, level 1 adds 4 times the polys and level 2 adds 4 times the polys of level one(so 16 times more than base).

My numbers may be a lil off but I think that is correct math. But more sub-d the smoother, but also more system resources.

Sub-d at lvl 1 typically is enough, but if you have a character with little clothes on their bum and they bend over for a pinup shoot, going to subD of 2 may make it all more convincing.(because you can get rid of the noticable polys )

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

Sub-D adds more geometry so the mesh will look smoother. Off uses the base level of geometry, level 1 adds 4 times the polys and level 2 adds 4 times the polys of level one(so 16 times more than base).

My numbers may be a lil off but I think that is correct math. But more sub-d the smoother, but also more system resources.

Sub-d at lvl 1 typically is enough, but if you have a character with little clothes on their bum and they bend over for a pinup shoot, going to subD of 2 may make it all more convincing.(because you can get rid of the noticable polys )

So basicly the more SubD the better the bends?

Could I set SubD to OFF to set the scene up with Poses and such and then before Rendering go to Level 1 or 2?
    Petra

edited November 2012

I have sub-d set to 1 most of the time when working. When I have a lot of characters in a scene I may set to off while working.

Keep in mind that its not JUST for bends, it impacts all the geometry in the figure. So with Sub-D off, things will look differently then when you turn it on. Sometimes it makes clothing not work how you expected because now it is TOO smooth. If you are already happy with how your characters look and clothes fit while sub-d is set to 1, then setting to zero to pose may help if things are moving slowly because of the extra geometric.

But another thing to consider is that once things get smoother, parts of the mesh may not be where they were before, so if you are positioning a hand on a hip or butt, that butt may compress a bit and you will need to repose after you turn sub-d back on.

EDIT: ANd the reason I mention clothes being too smooth is because I have converted clothing items to subD in some cases if they look too blocky in certain areas (not sure if option for poser).

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

I have sub-d set to 1 most of the time when working. When I have a lot of characters in a scene I may set to off while working.

Keep in mind that its not JUST for bends, it impacts all the geometry in the figure. So with Sub-D off, things will look differently then when you turn it on. Sometimes it makes clothing not work how you expected because now it is TOO smooth. If you are already happy with how your characters look and clothes fit while sub-d is set to 1, then setting to zero to pose may help if things are moving slowly because of the extra geometric.

But another thing to consider is that once things get smoother, parts of the mesh may not be where they were before, so if you are positioning a hand on a hip or butt, that butt may compress a bit and you will need to repose after you turn sub-d back on.

EDIT: ANd the reason I mention clothes being too smooth is because I have converted clothing items to subD in some cases if they look too blocky in certain areas (not sure if option for poser).

Thank you so much, you have helped me a lot!!!
    Petra

edited December 1969

glad to help