save as shader preset

DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi,

I have used a pattern image on a surface and tweaked in the surfaces tab, opacity, displacement etc.

If I save as a shader preset, the path to the image is c:/users/myusername/Daz 3D/Studio/MyLibrary/ShaderPresets/shaders/myfolder/tile.png

Is there a way to make the path to the image MyLibrary/ShaderPresets/shaders/myfolder/tile.png so i can share it

...or have i got it all wrong

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited November 2012

martClut said:
    Hi,

I have used a pattern image on a surface and tweaked in the surfaces tab, opacity, displacement etc.

If I save as a shader preset, the path to the image is c:/users/myusername/Daz 3D/Studio/MyLibrary/ShaderPresets/shaders/myfolder/tile.png

Is there a way to make the path to the image MyLibrary/ShaderPresets/shaders/myfolder/tile.png so i can share it

...or have i got it all wrong

Well, if nothing else the preset file should be clear text so you can just edit it and make it relative. However, textures rightly belong in runtime/textures// so moving it there is probably a good plan.
    Post edited by adamr001 on
  • DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508
    edited December 1969

Thanks, the shader preset was a .duf file and so i couldn't open it as readable text to edit.

I saved again as as depreciated .dsa file.
    now although it shows the full path in studio, when i opened the file as text, the path is relative so maybe the .duf file is also
    Thanks again, carry on!

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

DUF's are plain text files as well.

For instance, the start of one I'm working on right now goes...

{ "file_version" : "0.6.0.0", "asset_info" : {  "id" : "/Presets/Shaders/beta/AMR SuperAO Skin R2.duf",  "type" : "preset_shader",  "contributor" : {   "author" : "Adam Rasmussen",   "email" : "",   "website" : "http://adamtls.deviantart.com";  },  "revision" : "2.1",  "modified" : "Fri Nov 30 08:18:00 2012" }, "material_library" : [  {   "id" : "Default",   "transparency" : {    "channel" : {     "id" : "transparency",
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Why not just use the Shader Baker, and share those textures?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If it doesn't open in a text editor, then it's probably compressed...there should be an option during the save to "Compress files"...uncheck the box.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited November 2012

You can right-click the compressed .duf and unzip it just like a zip file. Then you delete the compressed one and add the .duf extension to the unzipped extension-less file, and voila, it can be text edited from then on. I do this when batch-generating materials for textures.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for sharing how to open the .dufs in a text editior. I was going to have to ask how to do this too, and now I don't have to. :)

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508
    edited December 1969

thanks all your advice.
    I will stick to keeping images/textures in the runtime folder and now know i can text edit the .duf files if needed great