Skipper's Berth

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Scary that software behaves differently on re-install ... but hey-ho, I was not a SysProg for 20-odd years without coming across a few oddities! :)

• skipper25skipper25 Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

I guess that the contretemps over the word "port" caused some collateral damage. You can never tell with these things. A single binary bit that is wrong - 0 to 1 or vice-versa - and you're in the mire. When one considers the astronomical numbers of bits that we are constantly moving about, the striking thing is not how many errors we encounter, but how FEW.
    Anyway, it's done now. Per ardua ad astra - through difficulties to the stars. (Or in my book, sheer bloody-minded persistence.) All (!!!!) that remains to be done is checking and bundling for D|S users. For them alone I have included a velvet drape over the balcony. You can see it below, together with the effect of the spotlight. Either or both may be removed.
    Will someone please confirm for me that D|S users require the .dso files as well as .obj, .mtl and textures? Perhaps we can get it uploaded tomorrow.
    There is something weird about the thought that sixty years ago tomorrow, as a young man I gathered with a heap of my relatives to peer over their shoulders at the new-fangled television set. We had a definite sense of history in the making and we have not been disappointed. Elizabeth has done a first-rate job and I hope that she will be around for a long time yet.
    Sixty years! Well, well, well.

BP_Balcony.jpg
    800 x 584 - 93K
    Post edited by skipper25 on
    edited December 1969

Looking really good, Skipper!

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,084
    edited December 1969

That looks good, Skipper! I half expect her majesty to waltz out there and give a wave. :)

Dana

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited June 2012

DanaTA said:
    Oh, and on the English language...I find that the literacy rate is much lower than advertised. At least that's my determination based on what I see in forums and emails and even professional advertising and news articles. I can't believe some of the things I see coming from big businesses and top news agencies!

As for Poser's manual, I haven't read through it yet. But at least it comes with a manual! :P

Dana

I currently work on a warehouse floor for my night job (gotta feed the kids somehow!) and the other evening I was reviewing the grammar of the safety notices: four posters for four with glaring errors. Five if I count the one on the breakroom door reminding us to "keep a eye on safety!" :shut:
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited December 1969

Don't get me started! The type of advertising that makes me grit my teeth in rage is that which suggests that you save when you buy. (Only perhaps if you intended to buy in the first place, mate.) Then there was the notice that exhorted, "Don't fail to miss it!" So I didn't.
    Mmmm. No comments yet on which files you want me to include for D|S users?

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

I don't use Poser, but I usually just use the Poser versions of things in DS if there's two available. Usually the differences are so miniscule (DS could do Displacement before Poser could, for example) that it's not worth the redundancy at the end-user level. Sometimes it's all a matter of shaders, so why not just release the DS-adapter kit for the Poser version, if the Poser version works in DS?

edited December 1969

Don't know if the .dso stuff is needed - I think it is if you release it as a .daz scene file.

edited December 1969

I don't use Poser, but I usually just use the Poser versions of things in DS if there's two available. Usually the differences are so miniscule (DS could do Displacement before Poser could, for example) that it's not worth the redundancy at the end-user level. Sometimes it's all a matter of shaders, so why not just release the DS-adapter kit for the Poser version, if the Poser version works in DS?

A major problem with all 3D modelling is the wide variation of user knowledge and ability. Already, we have had users take the published Poser version of the palace and successfully translate it for D|S, while others demand extra files. This is not a simple subject or model and I feel obliged to make it accessible to as wide an audience as possible. All would welcome a "click and go" download. One must add too, the complication that neither D|S nor Poser completely import .obj files. For example, if an object has several .jpg attached (for texture, bump, displacement, etc.) then Poser will import only the last one encountered, leaving the user to note the ommission(s), track the file(s) and attach them. I discovered today too, that sometimes D|S will not import displacement files - and I have yet to discern when it does and when it does not. The problem here is that displacement is used quite widely in this model and I very much fear that users may encounter considerable difficulty when matching the mappings.
    It is to be confessed that I have never heard of a DS-Adapter kit. Please tell us more about it. Where can I get it and does it work?
    edited December 1969

OK, I've done it. Get this version at http://www.ShareCG.com/v/62368/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Buckingham-Palace_DS

There are no .dso files, so it will be a matter of unzipping, then importing the .obj files. I hope that everyone has a great time.

BP_Gates.jpg
    800 x 788 - 178K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Wow, superb, and a great render as well Skipper.

Sometime soon, when the site settles down a bit, I am going to try getting it into Bryce.

edited June 2012

Just grabbed it and ...

BP_01X.jpg
    800 x 566 - 230K
    Post edited by SimonJM on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Fantastic model Skipper. Thank you very much.:-):-):-):-)

edited December 1969

Glad you like it folks. Thanks for the kind comments.
    SimonJM - LOL. That was quick.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

This looks just lovely - thanks!

edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Glad you like it folks. Thanks for the kind comments.
    SimonJM - LOL. That was quick.

Sometimes I can react with the speed of a startled sloth ... ;)

edited December 1969

(Chuckle) I see that you have promoted yourself, too. What, no grand uniform?

edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    (Chuckle) I see that you have promoted yourself, too. What, no grand uniform?

I wish I looked that good ... but he does have a crown on! :)
    edited June 2012

Our very good friend Music2U4U is again hosting his annual June Freebie Render Challenge which has lots of prizes, so get over there and take a look. One small prize that I have made is this Saxon shield, based upon stuff found in 1939 in the Sutton Hoo treasure hoard. Following the usual custom it will not be made available to the general public until two or three months after the winner(s) of the competition get theirs.

The next major task to be undertaken is a revival of the shopping centre first issued a while ago and then withdrawn. I will keep everyone informed about progress on this thread.

Shield.jpg
    558 x 500 - 56K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh Wow, that shield is cool.

edited December 1969

For the benefit of those who did not see my original shopping mall, I show the general scheme below. Eight blocks or rows of shops are to be arranged along two sides and on two levels, all facing inwards. Nothing is to be changed here, the idea being that the roof, external walls and blocks of shops may be removed or rendered invisible as necessary in order to get in your cameras and lights.

In my Mark II, external parking, bus shelters and roads were included, but I believe this to have been a mistake; they will not be included this time around. Nor will I include the bouncy castle on the ground floor. This is available as a separate download if you want it. Instead, I will include a "Husband Creche" where guys may watch football on TV and drink beer while their women and kids are shopping. This will be much more to everyone's liking.

Textures and so on are ready to be moved over from the old model, so (one hopes) this should not take too long to produce.

External.jpg
    740 x 382 - 45K
    General.jpg
    751 x 435 - 40K
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    ...Textures and so on are ready to be moved over from the old model, so (one hopes) this should not take too long to produce.

This is looking beautiful! :wow:

Is the previous version still available?

edited December 1969

You baffle me. Are you saying that you want the version that includes carparks?:blank:

edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    You baffle me. Are you saying that you want the version that includes carparks?:blank:

Since the new version doesn't (if I understood you correctly), then yes -- might need 'em sometime. Which isn't intended as a criticism of your decision not to include them in the new version! It's a just-in-case thing.
  • DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited June 2012

Do they really have "husband creches" in British malls, Skipper, or is that just something you and Beckham are pushing for?

Post edited by Dorseyland on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:

Absolutely.

Kendall

edited June 2012

No problem. Here you go - http://www.ShareCG.com/v/62469/view/5/3D-Model/Shopping-Centre
    That leaves me free to work on other stuff.
    Dorsey, the husband creche is one of those jokes that has a sharp edge. There are a few appearing around the country now and the one in my area exhibits a notice, "Is he dragging at your heels, whining and complaining? Park him here while you go shopping." It raises a smile, like mother-in-law jokes, but if you dig deeper you can sense a growing masculine resentment of the greatly increased power of women over the last few decades. Unless appeased, this will inevitably lead to considerable social unrest, not least increased divorce rates, violence against women and so on. In that sense, the "husband creche" is a warning signal that should be heeded.

edited December 1969

skipper25 said:

Thanks! Looking forward to the new mall of course, but it's good to have this too.
    edited June 2012

Thanks! Looking forward to the new mall of course, but it's good to have this too.

Glad you like it. There is little point in my continuing with a Mk III when it is mainly a smaller version of Mk II. No - I have switched my attention to relaunching the model of Cromer pier.

edited December 1969

skipper25 said:

Glad you like it. There is little point in my continuing with a Mk III when it is mainly a smaller version of Mk II. No - I have switched my attention to relaunching the model of Cromer pier.
    Sorry to hear that -- I was looking forward to your new mall, your preview pic is nice! But I'm sure the new Cromer pier's gonna be great too.