UNUSABLE IN Win-8

13»

Comments

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at Slackware next then, plus it has a sexy name :-P

I don't mind if Bryce's interface runs slow, I'm used to choppy performance ever since I downgraded from Vista to Windows 7. What I've been doing is reusing a disk partition to try out various distributions of Linux so that I can continue to use Windows until I settle on one. Tried Debian, tried Ubuntu, and there was one super-lean version I can't even remember the name of right now.

You're right about the dongle, and it's a pain in the arse. Unfortunately I had no choice if I wanted this software, and truth is I wanted it real bad. It takes a whole heap of space, like a week to install, and cost me an absolute fortune - so there's an indicator of just how bad I wanted it. To be honest though, it doesn't really matter to me whether I get it running on Linux. I kept my beloved XP machine and I intend to dedicate that as a sort of sound module, something that runs all my VST's and nothing else.

However, if I decide that Bryce doesn't run good enough on Linux, I'm prepared to allow it on the XP machine, too. The very idea of not having Bryce sends chills down my spine, so I suppose she gets the special treatment.

So would running a VM on Linux allow me to run Windows programs any better than WINE, or is that technically the same thing? Running Windows inside of a Linux Window sounds cool, but does that also go as far as drivers are concerned? Thing is, the dongle I use has a driver for Mac and Windows, and that's the only thing stopping me using it on Linux. But if running Windows inside of a window in Linux works as good as people say it does, will that goodness apply to drivers as well?

In other words, will Windows running inside of Linux use the Windows drivers, or will it still connect the dongle to USB using the Linux driver (which I do not have)?

_ PJF _ said:
    (The cheap upgrade from any version of XP to Win8 Pro is extremely attractive.)Talk about temptation, eh? :mrgreen:

I really should endeavour to become one of these clever people.

Yup, me too ;-)

"Every day in every way I get better and better."
    - Frank Spencer

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    So would running a VM on Linux allow me to run Windows programs any better than WINE, or is that technically the same thing? Running Windows inside of a Linux Window sounds cool, but does that also go as far as drivers are concerned? Thing is, the dongle I use has a driver for Mac and Windows, and that's the only thing stopping me using it on Linux. But if running Windows inside of a window in Linux works as good as people say it does, will that goodness apply to drivers as well?

In other words, will Windows running inside of Linux use the Windows drivers, or will it still connect the dongle to USB using the Linux driver (which I do not have)?

That depends on the virtual machine...VirtualBox does USB pass through, so it's Windows drivers...

Another thing, and this is applicable to any virtual machine running any OS on any OS...once you are in the virtual OS, you are in that operating system, as if you booted into it. The OS you were in, is now in the 'background'. So the programs you run in the virtual OS don't know or care about the OS you started in...

edited December 1969

You literally just answered my next question, cheers!

I like that Windows doesn't know Linux is there, because if it doesn't know, it cannot tamper with it.
    Very nice, and that's awesome news about the USB as well, that's what I was hoping to hear :-)

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:

_ PJF _ said:
    (The cheap upgrade from any version of XP to Win8 Pro is extremely attractive.)
    Talk about temptation, eh? :mrgreen:

Indeed. Even more so for the many small and not so small businesses that are still nursing XP along on old hardware. PC gear is cheap right now, and with this Win8 offer lots might have made the move. But they stuck that stupid bollix in the way. Idiots.

I really should endeavour to become one of these clever people.

Yup, me too ;-)

Yeah, we're a couple of schmucks for sure. But we're the only schmucks who spotted what Bryce TA was capable of, and the only schmucks who fought like dogs amongst the allegedly better informed smart-arses to keep TA alive in the dark years. Fancy that, eh?

It's the only reason I indulge you like I do. :mrgreen:

edited December 1969

I always liked to think that you indulge me because you were one of the few people intelligent enough to see I'm actually a jolly good bloke!
    You are still my most bestist posh-friend, but you are also a misbehaving, hairy little twat!

Git.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    I always liked to think that you indulge me because you were one of the few people intelligent enough to see I'm actually a jolly good bloke!
    You are still my most bestist posh-friend, but you are also a misbehaving, hairy little twat!

Git.

Oh for crying out loud, will you two get a room already. :)

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:

Git.

To their credit they were the only two to see a grand potential in a tool that was extremely broken at the time. As much as I love Bryce I simply could not bring myself to TA as it was presented so many years ago. It was broken. It didn't actually work, at least for me I never fell for it. The simple truth is that the results were inaccurate compared to what it is possible with the corrections made in Bryce 7.

That's why Bryce will still survive, because we see renders by David Brinnen and Savage64 that are ridiculous and they do it daily with "seemingly" little effort. Acceptable render times. Bryce can do it, especially for produce visualization. These types of solid results were not possible or at least not nearly as accessible before the advent of Boost LIght, Scattering Correction, TA driven by the Diffuse Channel, TA Optimization. Each of these represents a huge step in accuracy and integration of light systems and render speed optimizations. Many of these core ideals were more or less steered by these two lovebirds along with tons of input from a host of others including David. Horo, Vasily, myself, and the rest of the band.

I cannot say enough good things about TA in Bryce 7. It really is a step in the right direction, it happened just in time.

Next step is to extend the Obscure Lighting to an outdoor situation.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

I've had no problems running Bryce 7.1 in Windows 8. It may be I have a NVIDIA graphics card and they seem somewhat more compliant.

You still get the typical Desktop if you wish, so there is no requirement that one is stuck in the touch screen interface if they don't want to be. I've only had one program that refused to run properly and that was an older DX9 game which I don't play anymore.

You can see here in the image below the Windows desktop with Bryce opened up on it. I can use the mouse or the Bambo Pen tablet which has a touch pad capability as well.

bryce-desktop.jpg
    800 x 451 - 52K
    edited December 1969

@LordHardDriven
    No chance, not unless he's good at home-made spaghetti and meatballs :-D

@Rashad
    No, the next thing is to get a new thread started. I looked for it a few weeks back and then remembered it was on the old forum, not this one. I'm on about that "Future Bryce" thread you got stickied last time; idea submissions. Last I recall you were all peasants that couldn't even decide on a maximum lab res, and I disagreed with a lot of it, but it was still good to watch!

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:

Git.

To their credit they were the only two to see a grand potential in a tool that was extremely broken at the time. As much as I love Bryce I simply could not bring myself to TA as it was presented so many years ago. It was broken. It didn't actually work, at least for me I never fell for it. The simple truth is that the results were inaccurate compared to what it is possible with the corrections made in Bryce 7.

That's why Bryce will still survive, because we see renders by David Brinnen and Savage64 that are ridiculous and they do it daily with "seemingly" little effort. Acceptable render times. Bryce can do it, especially for produce visualization. These types of solid results were not possible or at least not nearly as accessible before the advent of Boost LIght, Scattering Correction, TA driven by the Diffuse Channel, TA Optimization. Each of these represents a huge step in accuracy and integration of light systems and render speed optimizations. Many of these core ideals were more or less steered by these two lovebirds along with tons of input from a host of others including David. Horo, Vasily, myself, and the rest of the band.

I cannot say enough good things about TA in Bryce 7. It really is a step in the right direction, it happened just in time.

Next step is to extend the Obscure Lighting to an outdoor situation.

Well no pun intended but now that I know this bit of history about them it sheds some light on some of their discussions I've seen. :)

edited December 1969

I can't even remember the last time I had a full-on discussion about TA, not with Peter or anyone else, it's all been scattered discussion lately, just a passing mention of TA and that's about it. And anyway, makes a nice change in recent years, I actually prefer watching others discuss and to see all the clever stuff the Brycers here come-up with. I don't comment most of the time because I reckon that if I start I'd be doing it all the time and it would soon get monotonous.

I just sit back in awe a lot of the time and keep quiet, and like I said, it makes a nice change.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

We are tending to drift away from Windows 8 again, and although I personally think that is the best thing anyone can do, nevertheless it was the Original Topic for the thread.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    We are tending to drift away from Windows 8 again, and although I personally think that is the best thing anyone can do...

Berate eight? Late mate:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/28/3693368/windows-blue-update-low-cost

Yes, it's machine gun updates for Windows from now on, and the Mac crowd won't have all the fun bitching and moaning because Bryce doesn't run on the latest thing.

That's the great plan, anyway. Reality may change it. Desktop PC sales are down more than 20 percent compared with the same four week period last year- despite (because of?) a new operating system. The Microsoft "Surface" tablet has just had production halved due to lack of demand. Windows Phone 8? Yeah, right.

A floundering leviathan, so desperate to catch up with Apple and Google in the new potential market that it's happy to throw its user base in the old actual market under the bus, squandering its billions in the process. History while you watch; the process of creative destruction in action.

How this works out for Bryce I don't know. Depends on DAZ. Right now, they look like a wide-eyed doe frozen in the headlights of a hurtling big ugly truck full of future.

edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:
    they look like a wide-eyed doe frozen in the headlights of a hurtling big ugly truck full of future.

Can I steal that quote?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE????

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    _ PJF _ said:
    they look like a wide-eyed doe frozen in the headlights of a hurtling big ugly truck full of future.

Can I steal that quote?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE????

I don't know about stealing it, I wish someone would render it. :cheese:

edited November 2012

'tis gonna be free for the same reason the Windows 8 Pro upgrade is suddenly an attractive price ...
    ... 'tis cos no one in the right mind would actually buy it.

Legislation is about to make their data-mining a big problem for them, and that's what all this bullshit was designed around and what they'd all pinned their hopes on (it's just another well-deserved bite on the arse for them). And while most people concentrate on Apple, Google and Microsoft, the "mobile platform" that's really gonna have every one of them shitting bricks when it picks up pace...

Is this one:
    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefoxos/

Heh Heh Heh :mrgreen:

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 2012

Spotted the biggie here anyone?

Pssst ... that lovely new Firefox OS is going to effect Apple more than any of them (and in a very big way).

The reason it's going to effect Apple the most is because it'll break their monopoly for them, right on their own devices (how cool is that?), and there's not a thing they can do to stop it because Firefox apps work on any device that can decode HTML 5, nothing special required. In order for Apple to stop Firefox OS apps running on one of their monopoly "iThing" devices, they'd have to break the web on those devices in order to do it, because wisely, Firefox OS is the web, it's HTML 5.

And hey, Apple are all for HTML 5, I mean just ask Adobe (another bunch of asses). Now that is what you call beating the not-so-wise-asses at their own game, and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch.

Now I really must return to indulging "dumb mode" immediately so that others may continue to "indulge" me.
    My bloody sides are killing me, really, you have no idea :-P

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

@Pam
    Rather than ask elsewhere I thought it fitting to ask this here due to the conversation: Would it be ok to use the attached image as my banner here until the end of December 3rd? I hope so because it's something that will effect every one of us in a big way if it gets through, and sadly not enough people are even aware of it - guess why?

Here's the website the banner would link to if you allowed it:
    http://www.internetcoup.org/en/

If this crap gets through you can wave goodbye to the internet and your freedom as you know it. You won't even know that things are being kept from you because it'll never be allowed to reach you (a deathly dangerous proposition). You will live in a world where the only thing you see is what they want you to see, and the only thing you can do, is what they want you to do.

D3SIC.jpg
    480 x 54 - 37K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Strange question to ask on December 4th.

Forum banners are no longer clickable anyway., but I would need to consult the team before I could come back with an answer.

edited December 2012

Exactly my point which is why I posted it directly after December 3rd ;-)

There's actually no point in asking them if it's not clickable, but thanks anyway (it would still be of use in making people aware). The reason for posting now it is to prove the point that if you're not aware of something, how are you going to have control over it? This is what is being proposed here. How many people were actually aware of what is listed at that page, or even what the ITU is?

I'm guessing "Not enough people" is the answer.
    Let's hope this crap doesn't get a foothold, 'cause if it does, there'll be no going back!

DAZ would never have allowed that banner anyway, otherwise it would have been in place already.

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

And now, guess what, my last post on the subject ...

Google actually doing some good (I'm guessing it's in their best interest to do so):
    https://www.google.com/takeaction/

edited December 1969

And a little something to watch live:
    http://freeandopenweb.com/?utm_source=freeandopen&utm_medium=hp&utm_campaign=fo-p2-hp

Ok, that's your lot, peasants!

edited December 2012

You can see here in the image below the Windows desktop with Bryce opened up on it.

That's interesting, because it looks like Bryce can now be in a floating window with the GUI wrapped around the work space, instead of full screen. Not seen that for a while, and it's an incentive to look at Win8.

Image by Design Acrobat

brycewin8.jpg
    800 x 451 - 62K
    Post edited by Peter Fulford on
    edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:

You can see here in the image below the Windows desktop with Bryce opened up on it.

That's interesting, because it looks like Bryce can now be in a floating window with the GUI wrapped around the work space, instead of full screen. Not seen that for a while, and it's an incentive to look at Win8.

Image by Design Acrobat

That is...if it's not the ONLY way to run it. It could be 'windowed' mode as opposed to 'full screen' is the only way to may it work. That is how I got Bryce 5.5 MOSTLY working in WINE. It would still pop up some of its windows/dialog boxes behind everything else, making them inaccessible...but that's another story.

edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:
    Not seen that for a while, and it's an incentive to look at Win8.
    You only said that 'cause I had a pop at Woody Allen :mrgreen:
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

That is...if it's not the ONLY way to run it. It could be 'windowed' mode as opposed to 'full screen' is the only way to may it work.

Scary thought!

C'mon Windows 8 users, how does Bryce appear on the desktop?

edited December 2012

_ PJF _ said:
    C'mon Windows 8 users, how does Bryce appear on the desktop?

Well, you could always buy a copy and find out seeing as it's such an attractive proposition for you.
    Just so you know, Amazon were practically giving the upgrade away a few weeks back :-D

In all seriousness, I'm guessing if you sit it out it's going to be free anyway because Microsoft want everyone using that dumb interface - and will surely do their best to make it happen. As soon as the initial bunch of sheep have dried up, the price will drop quicker than a whores knickers.

Post edited by pumeco on