DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 is now available

Comments

• vindazivindazi Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

I have tried twice to down load 14812_ Genesis Starter Essentials1.6. It will not finish the download. Has anyone else had this problem? The version of DS4 I have now has been the most stable since I have been using Daz. Is this a sign that I should wait for the bugs to get worked out of this update?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Did you clear your browser cache between download attempts.

edited December 1969

No. Do I need to?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes, if you have a failed or uncompleted download in your cache, any subsequent download attempts will fail at around the same place.

So close your browser, clear your cache before trying again. If you don't you will just get failed download after failed download.

edited December 1969

Thanks, that seems to be working.

edited December 1969

Well it started out like it was working then slowed to no speed. It looks like it has expired and I don't see it in my Itemized Order History. Could there be a connection?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Reset the whole DS 4.5 in your order history.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...so is this still a Beta or a full stable update release?

edited December 1969

4.5.1.6 was the last stable release...

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Supposedly "stable". DAZ3d has a habit of rushing out it's flagship software 98% complete/fixed & has be doing that since at least version 2.

edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    mjc1016 said:

Supposedly "stable". DAZ3d has a habit of rushing out it's flagship software 98% complete/fixed & has be doing that since at least version 2.

Name one major software product, in the last ten years, that the 'gold'/stable/actual release isn't really a beta in disguise?

I"ve found more 'usable'/less buggy 'alpha releases' in Linux software than some paid for Windows 'final release version' software...

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Windows 8 has already had 2 updates.

edited November 2012

...think I'll stick with the current version of 4.5 that i have installed.

Still smarting from all the hits I took with 3Advancved.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MarkR151MarkR151 Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Glad I'm still using DS 4.0whatever. Maybe in a year or two, 4.5 will actually be ready for prime time and mostly bug free. :roll:

Maybe.

edited December 1969

The thing I'm seeing...one of the most common features of those complaining about 4.5 not working...32 bit systems. 4.5 is just at the edge of being able to be run under a 32 bit OS...and in some cases over it.

Time to face it, folks, 32 bit is DEAD. Upgrade to 64 bit and save yourself a host of headaches, because I seriously doubt that DS is the only piece of software, if upgraded to the latest version, that is giving you one. Software has progressed beyond 32 bit, it's time to make your hardware do so, too. All major software and many games are 64 bit.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Im having autofit problems with 4.5 64 bit so BS

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

Yeah, thanks...

And you know what...I'm not. This is despite the fact that I'm running under WINE, in Linux, which is known for exposing/emphasising software flaws. I'm having far less problems with 4.5 than I did with 4.0 and even 3.1. It's not until I try to do unusual things...like run the latest WINE or something that I start getting problems and then, more often than not, it's a Qt4 problem or something connected to an MS supplied dll.

And out of all the 'problems' I've read/commented/helped with for 4.5 over the past couple of months, 32 bit with less than 4 GB of RAM is one of, if not the most common, commonalities among them. The second most common...CMS problems which more often than not are probably OS/AV interference.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Bobvan said:

Yeah, thanks...

And you know what...I'm not. This is despite the fact that I'm running under WINE, in Linux, which is known for exposing/emphasising software flaws. I'm having far less problems with 4.5 than I did with 4.0 and even 3.1. It's not until I try to do unusual things...like run the latest WINE or something that I start getting problems and then, more often than not, it's a Qt4 problem or something connected to an MS supplied dll.

And out of all the 'problems' I've read/commented/helped with for 4.5 over the past couple of months, 32 bit with less than 4 GB of RAM is one of, if not the most common, commonalities among them. The second most common...CMS problems which more often than not are probably OS/AV interference.

How does one resolve them? This is why 3 was simpler & better

edited December 1969

Autofit is one of the weirdest things I've come across, because it seems to cause lots of problems for some and would be something that I would expect to cause all sorts of mayhem on a set up like mine (same with the CMS), but it works very well for me.

Part of the problem, I think, is that it tends to really expose flaws in the modelling of clothing. Some testing I recently did revealed that traditional modelling, with a nice even distribution of polys and very 'clean' lines actually is not all that nice for running through autofit. Items with a higher concentration of polys in the areas that morph more tend to behave better, especially when the fact that there are extra bones in the 'to' end of the deal. The whole cleavage/shrinkwrap look is a different 'problem'...it's actually due to the fact that autofit is working...perfectly (too perfectly). But, the reality is, we don't want/need it to work so well. What's needed are some ways of adding offsets or adding more varied 'clones', or expanding the rigidity groups to include 'stiffness' modifiers.

Also, it would be nice if the push modifier could be assigned to groups/surfaces, instead just all the geometry...but that's more of a feature request/expansion than a flaw. The same with some more options in the default save dialogs...like being able to do some things with a single checkbox instead having to individually edit the properties individually in the Property Editor, before saving.

As to software progressing beyond older hardware...well, I remember the transition from 16 to 32 bit. It was much, much worse and painful (especially in the pocket...very often software packages could not even be made to load, at all and many were very expensive to replace, to say nothing of the fact that to get true 32 bit, you needed at least a 386 processor...which back then was a very expensive undertaking). Plus there is the fact that the transition did not stretch over five years and two more Windows version releases...in fact, it's more than 5 yrs, considering there was a Windows XP x64 version, a couple of years before Vista came out... so the switch from 32 bit to 64 has stretched for nearly 8 yrs now. I believe that is more than ample time to update hardware (well, most folks have...almost every dual core processor is 64 bit capable...), after seven years, the 'but I don't NEED 64 bit' falls a bit flat.

I could go on...but that's not really the point of this thread.

edited November 2012

Fair enough its just that items that were auto fitting in 4.0 now fail in 4.5. It's rather obvious that ppl like you & Kendall are well versed in computers. I dont think that using programs like DS or Lux requires one to practically be a programmer. I'ts a nice advantage to have...

Having said that I know enough to back up my existing DS folder then try the beta and if its more problems go back and re transfer the BU files and roll back to my current install.

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Having everything on another drive makes it even easier...especially if it's an external, just unplug it and all your current stuff is safe. Then it's just a matter of installing/ uninstalling the main program and it's specific content pack.

But...one thing I did notice, AF seems to be 'more' perfect in 4.5...which means it's less 'forgiving' (I guess that's the best way to put it)...the same with some of the other 'problems'...it's like DAZ woke up one day and decided to actually adhere to the standards they wrote...(one of the problems with a set of import/export scripts for Blender is due to that fact, so is, as far as I can tell a lot of the Duplicate ID problems). So we, who have gotten use, to the software being less strict are surprised and upset when it is actually working like it was intended. I'm all for sticking to the standards...that's why they were made. Plus if something adheres to the standard, it's easier to see if the problem is really a problem or if it's just something to do with sloppy packaging, or something like that.

I tend to be rather 'obsessive' over one particular area...file naming conventions. DS and Poser content makers are all over the place on that one. But in anything other than Windows, something like Runtime and runtime are two different folders...and something as simple as picking just ONE seems to escape them (and this is even in packaged, from the store installer files) and it doesn't have to be the same for every file...but should be the same for everything in that installer (yeah, I've seen installers have Runtime/textures and Runtime/Libraries and Runtime/Libraries/geometry). You'd be surprised at how many problems can be solved by simply making sure something like content installers actually conform to a single way of doing things/uniform standard.

edited November 2012

mjc1016 said:
    The thing I'm seeing...one of the most common features of those complaining about 4.5 not working...32 bit systems. 4.5 is just at the edge of being able to be run under a 32 bit OS...and in some cases over it.

Time to face it, folks, 32 bit is DEAD. Upgrade to 64 bit and save yourself a host of headaches, because I seriously doubt that DS is the only piece of software, if upgraded to the latest version, that is giving you one. Software has progressed beyond 32 bit, it's time to make your hardware do so, too. All major software and many games are 64 bit.

...unfortunately for many on a limited or fixed budget that isn't always a viable option.

...but even on my ancient system, 4.5 does run better (and renders faster) than 4.0 and in some cases even 3.1.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

mjc1016 said:
    As to software progressing beyond older hardware...well, I remember the transition from 16 to 32 bit. It was much, much worse and painful (especially in the pocket...very often software packages could not even be made to load, at all and many were very expensive to replace, to say nothing of the fact that to get true 32 bit, you needed at least a 386 processor...which back then was a very expensive undertaking). Plus there is the fact that the transition did not stretch over five years and two more Windows version releases...in fact, it's more than 5 yrs, considering there was a Windows XP x64 version, a couple of years before Vista came out... so the switch from 32 bit to 64 has stretched for nearly 8 yrs now. I believe that is more than ample time to update hardware (well, most folks have...almost every dual core processor is 64 bit capable...), after seven years, the 'but I don't NEED 64 bit' falls a bit flat.

I could go on...but that's not really the point of this thread.

The 64 bit XP wasn't a true 64 bit. IIRC; they did some tweaks to make two 32bit registers look like a single 64 bit one (or something to that effect)
    Post edited by BWSman on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

CMS crash!! Already filed a report at the bugs.daz3d.com-pages. But CMS crashes whenever I do a search for new files.

Edit. Downloaded the new DS4.5P version (4.5.1.6), installed it and it threw an error (asked for closing program or wait for solution online) on CMS-install. Closed it down, but somehow DS seemed to work when I started the program. CMS seems stable, and I did a search for new content, and it loaded fine for now.

There are so many issues going on.

One, I don't know why the program runs smoothly one day, then the next day the CMS crashes. This has never happened to me before today, and I don't think there was any MS-update recently.

I use Win7 64-bit on an 8 GB system, so memory isn't an issue.

BTW, the icon on the start-menu doesn't show correctly (same on the taskbar), selected big icon and it returned... Now I can't select small icons for DS

Anyway, moving on to continue working in DS4.5P. Hopefully it'll not throw a temper tantrum.

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited December 1969

CMS crash!! Already filed a report at the bugs.daz3d.com-pages. But CMS crashes whenever I do a search for new files.

Edit. Downloaded the new DS4.5P version (4.5.1.6), installed it and it threw an error (asked for closing program or wait for solution online) on CMS-install. Closed it down, but somehow DS seemed to work when I started the program. CMS seems stable, and I did a search for new content, and it loaded fine for now.

There are so many issues going on.

One, I don't know why the program runs smoothly one day, then the next day the CMS crashes. This has never happened to me before today, and I don't think there was any MS-update recently.

There was one on the 13th...every second Tuesday of the month, actually.

The CMS is actually NOT a DAZ program...nor does it look to be very customized from the plain vanilla build of the Valentina database server. And with most dbserver issues, OS/security software interference is usually a top candidate, so when looking at updates that may be causing problems...look at AV ones, too.

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

An MS update came through this last Tuesday for me on both my work XP computer and on all my Win 7 computers at home...

The XP one came through in the afternoon and the Win 7 ones just before midnight Pacific time....

All is well on my computers though... but I noticed quite a few people reporting sudden CMS issues this week... coincedence ?

nicci... :)

edited December 1969

I wasn't aware of the one last Tuesday...the regular one on the 13th wasn't 'critical'. They only push through 'critical' ones out of cycle and most critical ones ARE network/security related.

So, coincidence...probably not. (and that particular issue...MS update screwing up network related software is fairly common)

One of the most common 'screw ups' is resetting Windows to defaults...so that means if you had whitelisted the CMS in Windows, it's now likely not listed.

• edited December 1969

Hello. I have two... problems? with D|S 4.5.1.6, 64 bit edition (screenshots attached):

-I see a generic icon instead of the real thumbnail on some products.
    -I see on other products the real thumbnails... TWICE (!) Only on products like carhop for genesis, everyday 1950 for genesis female and so on, on the materials.

My system is: Macbook pro, OSX 10.6.8, 8 GB, core 2 duo.

I had previously installed D|S 4.0 (I don't remember the exact revision), without these problems. I bought/downloaded/installed DSON along with genesis starter essentials -GSE- and GSE for poser; reading the documentation of it, I saw that for conversions and other stuff D|S 4.5 was required, so I bought/downloaded it. Well, after I installed it (ONLY the D|S, not the GSE as I've installed it previously), then I saw the problems/issues listed above.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to reinstall genesis starter essentials again? the same with other installed content?

Thanks in advance. Sergio.

Untitled-15.jpg
    1423 x 1078 - 966K
    Untitled-14.jpg
    1391 x 1074 - 697K
    edited December 1969

alu000 said:
    Well, after I installed it (ONLY the D|S, not the GSE as I've installed it previously), then I saw the problems/issues listed above.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to reinstall genesis starter essentials again? the same with other installed content?

Yes...the version for DS 4.0 and the version for 4.5 are different...the 4.5 version is updated to work with all the changes/fixes/updates in 4.5.

• edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    alu000 said:
    Well, after I installed it (ONLY the D|S, not the GSE as I've installed it previously), then I saw the problems/issues listed above.

Yes...the version for DS 4.0 and the version for 4.5 are different...the 4.5 version is updated to work with all the changes/fixes/updates in 4.5.

Hi. I suppose that when you say "yes", you want to say (to me) "yes, you have to reinstall genesis starter essentials (GSE)".

Do I need to reinstall the other products I bought from daz? Clothes and textures. Why are they duplicated?

By the way, I didn't ask on my first post. I downloaded GSE (1.6) when I bought DSON. As I've seen that the GSE available with D|S 4.5 has the same version (1.6) I haven't downloaded, as I guessed that both are the same. Am I right? Almost 500 MB... too much for my connection (limited to 20 GB/month).

Sergio.