- - Spyro's Render Thread and Projects - -

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2012

WIP Trousers - Basic tights

Finally I have crafted a basic pair of pants. As I mentioned earlier, My plan is to build the trousers from basic tights... This becomes my base mesh, which would also be usable for future applicable projects. It's only basic and used minimal verticies. I'll be using a feature in 3ds max called 'turbo smooth', to fully build the high resolution model once I've shaped it like the pants in the concept design.

WIP_Pants.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    Pants_W4_WIP2.jpg
    527 x 701 - 88K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And now for this... When was the last time I told YOU that I hate you?

P.S. Being on my hate list means I respect your skill so much I wish you did not make me look like a NOOB.

edited December 1969

LMAO! Well that would be the only "hate" list I have ever been honored to be apart of :-P

edited November 2012

I'll be making some new Bows soon... I've been asked to do a Robin Hood one, and I'm thinking about a Tribal Bow 2.0, which will be decorated like Connor's bow in Assassin's creed 3 with American Indian influence. Though I do wish to complete the WIP Trousers first. If you want to collaborate on those, it would be a good release :)

Depending on how well I go with the new Tribal Bow, it may be a commercial product, but I'll see how I go with it.

il_570xN_359771106_ppe6.jpg
    570 x 635 - 73K
    Assassins-Creed-3-Connor-Bow-Arrow1-570x297.jpg
    570 x 297 - 48K
    assassins_creed_3_connor_bow-wallpaper-640x480.jpg
    640 x 480 - 112K
    Connors_bow_-_Render.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 639K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    WIP Trousers - Basic tights

Finally I have crafted a basic pair of pants. As I mentioned earlier, My plan is to build the trousers from basic tights... This becomes my base mesh, which would also be usable for future applicable projects. It's only basic and used minimal verticies. I'll be using a feature in 3ds max called 'turbo smooth', to fully build the high resolution model once I've shaped it like the pants in the concept design.

keep it up

edited December 1969

I'm faltered to work with you, but I'm so tired (One of those nights) I'm lost as to which project you mean. I do not do clothing (yet, some morphs maybe) I'm only skilled at props and Prop related files. That said, I'll work with you on any project I can at anytime.
    Thank you for the invite.

edited December 1969

Referring to the props :) ... It may yet be a while before I get around to starting them anyway. I get lots of ideas for things, just not enough time to do them all LOL. All this is thinking about future projects. Clothing is taking up the bulk of my free time atm.

edited December 1969

I've had some health up's and downs this week, I've not done much of anything except read the forums. It's the time of year when my Arthritis acts up as the weather goes through rapid changes. I'm just waiting on a nice long stretch of stable weather so I can get back to work.

edited December 1969

That's not good Jader. I hope you feel better soon. If it's any consolation, the weather in my part of the world is rather dull aswell. We went from winter cold to really hot summer, without the nice transition in between. I hate the heat.

--------------------------------

WIP Trousers Update

Shaping the mesh from the basic tights to the design has commenced. It's kinda like making a morph really... Still takes a long time, but its nice that I can finally see it coming to shape. As I said, it is still low res, once I'm happy with the shape I'll be doubling or even tripping the resolution. There is currently issues with the polygon normals, but higher res and turbo smooth should fix it.

Pants_W4_WIP2.png
    884 x 773 - 143K
    edited December 1969

WIP Trousers Update

Refining the geometry... My focus is of course the knee area at this stage... I've added more details and I'm starting to like how it's turning out. I'll be working up the leg as I go, I'm working on the back of the knee right now :)

Pants_W5_WIP1.png
    781 x 737 - 131K
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    WIP Trousers Update

Refining the geometry... My focus is of course the knee area at this stage... I've added more details and I'm starting to like how it's turning out. I'll be working up the leg as I go, I'm working on the back of the knee right now :)

Very nice! The knees look great...

I can relate to the lack of time. Work is so busy at the moment!

edited December 1969

Thanks Pendraia! :cheese:

edited December 2012

WIP Trousers

So I backtracked, due to some unforeseen issues with both my base mesh I had made and issues with a combination of Symmetry and turbo smooth. Once I applied turbo smooth, the mesh broke at the seams and the mesh went Jaggered. So, I made a completely new model, researched and implemented Sub division and other editing modifiers. My workload halved once I learned the gist of it and the model I think works alot better. Even morphs in the future will be significantly less a burden... Sickle would be proud :)

The pants are Sub divided, all the same as Genesis. SubD does not distort the symmetry seam and smoothing is much more organic. I have brought the new model to the same stage I was last at with the previous model. I am now working on the sides and back of the knee, and will move up the leg.

The rest of the outfit will be made with sub devision, should I go commercial, the boots will be re worked to also be sub divided.

SD_Pants_1.png
    1434 x 1624 - 1M
  • LEI1LEI1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Wow! I just stumbled across your thread and first off ... really REALLY awesome renders Spyro! This might be a noobish question but for those character portraits/hilarious newsclips ... are you rendering those from 3dsmax? I've never used MAX since I'm a hobbyist who's not eligible for the student version and the full program's price tag is pretty far outside of my 'reasonable spending limit' lol ... but there's a very cool 'velvety' - for lack of a better word, sorry it's late and my brain is wont for sleep - quality to all of your renders. I'm wondering, is that something that can only be achieved with MAX?

In any event, you've got some great work on this thread, keep it up!

LEI

edited December 2012

Hi Lei!

All my renders are done (With exception of the laser hall scene) in Daz. It's probebly the combination of lighting and shaders that keeps the renders fresh. I use 3ds Max to build content such as props and clothing :) I use Human Surface Shader (HSS) with some "Velvet" set on the skin... Sometimes I add some velvet to certain fabrics to enhance the render as well :)

----------------------------------------------
    WIP Trousers

Wondering about peoples thoughts on my current progress. It's been a little tricky to add the detail above the knees... It's SubD so I'm only working with the cage so to speak, I cant add any more edges (Except for when I do seams) as it is using two iterations of sub divisions. (That means for every polygon on the cage that I work with, there is 8 polys inside it)

What are your thoughts on the detail in the pants?

SD_Pants_2.png
    1635 x 1825 - 2M
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Hi Lei!

All my renders are done (With exception of the laser hall scene) in Daz. It's probebly the combination of lighting and shaders that keeps the renders fresh. I use 3ds Max to build content such as props and clothing :) I use Human Surface Shader (HSS) with some "Velvet" set on the skin... Sometimes I add some velvet to certain fabrics to enhance the render as well :)

WIP Trousers

Wondering about peoples thoughts on my current progress. It's been a little tricky to add the detail above the knees... It's SubD so I'm only working with the cage so to speak, I cant add any more edges (Except for when I do seams) as it is using two iterations of sub divisions. (That means for every polygon on the cage that I work with, there is 8 polys inside it)

do they come in blue ;-)
    look good

edited December 1969

LMAO! Don t you like the baby pink? LOL :-P

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Hi Lei!

WIP Trousers

*taking notes*

Lol, well I was already impressed but now I'm REALLY impressed to hear they all came out of DS! I've been trying to find a good soft lighting setup for DS4P but most renders end up way too dark. You seem to have mastered nice subtle lighting without losing detail which is something I'd love to achieve. I did just pick up omnifreaker's Ubersoft kit ... so hopefully I'll make some lighting headway with that. Oh and when you say 'velvet' for the skin is that a specific shader or an actual field/value that you can adjust in the HSS?

edited December 1969

Its a property which becomes available when HSS is applied in the surfaces tab. Basically it simulates light passing through the fine 'vellus' hair we all have on our skin, It covers almost all areas of our body. I use a pale blue colour for the velvet colour, some people prefer a soft pink, But in my experience, a pale blue works better and looks more realistic. The strength is typically set to around 20-25%, the velvet fall off remains default at 20.00... of course this depends on what skin texture your using and values can vary a little depending on the skin tone.

I also add Sub surface and Translucency, but that can be tricky to get right and the values are specific to the individuals skin tone more so than the values of Velvet. For SS and Translucency I use the textures from Interjection. (They are the best Generic SSS Textures I have ever used) I use them on every character now.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/interjection-surface-injections-for-daz-studio

With lighting, I studied 'Lantio's lights' I then made my own light sets using what I had leaned. I also have a background in 3ds max, so daz lighting was rather similar to max. But patients, practice and refinement go a long way. :)

edited December 2012

WIP Trousers Update

Here is a front and back view of the pants so far. For functionality, I'll detail the "inner Boots" area of the pants so that it can be used without the boots to create a different look.

I'm not yet happy with the side view, it still needs work I think.

Please let me know what you guys think, as I need to wrap this up soon and start adding pockets and seams. :)

SD_Pants_3-2_mix.png
    1827 x 1843 - 7M
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Looks good! What kind of textures you're planning to do for it?

edited December 2012

Damn that was quick LOL

I'm thinking heavy fabric, something like military BDU fabric. Should it go commercial, I'll make lots of different colours. But the main texture will follow the concept art and will be all black. Might make some camo versions for the product depends what the rest of the costume turns out like :)

Might make a white one as well for rider use :)

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Its a property which becomes available when HSS is applied in the surfaces tab. Basically it simulates light passing through the fine 'vellus' hair we all have on our skin, It covers almost all areas of our body. I use a pale blue colour for the velvet colour, some people prefer a soft pink, But in my experience, a pale blue works better and looks more realistic. The strength is typically set to around 20-25%, the velvet fall off remains default at 20.00... of course this depends on what skin texture your using and values can vary a little depending on the skin tone.

I also add Sub surface and Translucency, but that can be tricky to get right and the values are specific to the individuals skin tone more so than the values of Velvet. For SS and Translucency I use the textures from Interjection. (They are the best Generic SSS Textures I have ever used) I use them on every character now.

With lighting, I studied 'Lantio's lights' I then made my own light sets using what I had leaned. I also have a background in 3ds max, so daz lighting was rather similar to max. But patients, practice and refinement go a long way. :)

Oh really? I actually have Interjection so I'll try to put it into use much more now :) I'm looking forward to seeing you finish this project you're working on, thanks so much for all the tips Spyro!

Lei

edited December 1969

No worries man, Always glad to help :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:

I used to have Interjection on my wishlist but at some point in the past I removed it. On your recommendation I've added it back in!

Still not sure where to rank it, though, on a list of "ways to improve skin realism beyond HSS/Ubersurface." The other contenders being Ubersurface2 or PWSurface2.

edited December 1969

I use UberSurface 2, but not for my humans lol... US2 is really good as it has more control and various layers of parameters. I have found US2 to be best for Aliens and creatures more so than humans... Though, If I wanted to make a human that is wet eg, they just got out of the pool, I would choose US2 over HSS. I used US2 for all the zombies I've made, for dirt covered clothing, The Terminator character was also US2.

I've been so happy with the realistic results of HSS that I've seen no reason to change, and it also works with layers of parameters such as Spec and Spec 2. It's uncommon for me to make a character with only one specular.

In regards to Sub Surface and translucency, it is a very touchy procedure... Very much Dependant on the skin tone of the character, And it's a trial and error sort of game until you get it right, but it's certainly worth it in the end. If you have M5 pro bundle, it's a good idea to study the settings of Philip/James/Benjamin and see how their surface parameters flow. make sure they have SSS and Trans switched on of course. And click my DA, in my favorites is a tutorial made buy RawArt who explains it quite well.

As I said it's trial and error... But Interjections textures are my most favorite SS textures.

It's also good practice to study Interjections surface settings as well. :)

edited December 2012

WIP Trousers Update

Okay, so my tests with importing found issues with the previous version, so the pants are now Version 4.0 lol!

Weight mapping will slow the item, but will certainly bring it to it's best. I have added the straps and am adjusting the pants fabric as required. The straps will be of equal resolution and is Sub Divided all the same. The straps will of course have clips... Am considering holsters, but am hesitant to use your typical drop leg holsters as this is Sci-fi man! So, may require further research before I work on that addition.

May make two versions of the pants... One with straps and one without. It's a possibility. There are seams on the outer legs and on the inner. Next I intend to make A fly. Not sure how the pockets will go with the straps :-S

SD_Pants_Vers4_UD4_Straps_Back.png
    1530 x 1729 - 2M
    SD_Pants_Vers4_UD4_Straps.png
    1530 x 1729 - 2M
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    WIP Trousers Update

Okay, so my tests with importing found issues with the previous version, so the pants are now Version 4.0 lol!

Weight mapping will slow the item, but will certainly bring it to it's best. I have added the straps and am adjusting the pants fabric as required. The straps will be of equal resolution and is Sub Divided all the same. The straps will of course have clips... Am considering holsters, but am hesitant to use your typical drop leg holsters as this is Sci-fi man! So, may require further research before I work on that addition.

May make two versions of the pants... One with straps and one without. It's a possibility. There are seams on the outer legs and on the inner. Next I intend to make A fly. Not sure how the pockets will go with the straps :-S

What a wonderful project. I can't wait until I can see the final results. it looks great so far.

edited December 1969

Thanks very much Ivy! at the moment I'm just trying to figure out the pockets and the fly, and to work out how they will be affected by the existing seams and the holster straps. I trailed two leg pockets, but I realized I went about making them the wrong way... But I think I have an idea of how I'll make them now.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I enjoy watching your progress on this Spyro. I've been learning also :)