HDR fun

AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
edited November 2016 in Art Studio

Found a tutorial on making your own HDR/EXR files for lighting in Iray (and may work in 3Delight as well). 

How to Create a Custom HDR Studio Map

The tutorial is using Photoshop and I'm pretty sure it only works in Photoshop Extended. It didn't work in my version of Photoshop (not extended). It does work in the version of GIMP at this website address tho (which also has the Nik Filters built into it). Thanks to Knittingmommy for the heads-up for this version of GIMP :). You'll want one of the GIMP 2.9.5 64-bit versions. The process is pretty much the same in both programs only how one goes about it in each is different. I made the one in this image in GIMP and exported as an .exr Hope you find this useful :) Have fun!

Post edited by AllenArt on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Adding to the HDRI list I have...

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited November 2016

@AllenArt  Ah, right back at you!  I just spent about an hour playing with this in GIMP!  Such fun.  While I knew that GIMP 2.9 handles .exr files because I've been using it lately for compositing those Iray canvas layers, I didn't even think about using it for something like this!  Thanks for sharing.  Here are a few test runs.  The last one I did without the background Dome Off as it had too much yellow in it so that black background is actually from saving as a .jpg and not part of the HDR.

edit: for clarity

HDRTest01.jpg
    626 x 1013 - 155K
    HDRTest02.jpg
    626 x 1013 - 241K
    HDRTest03.jpg
    626 x 1013 - 256K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool. Good stuff! :D

Laurie