Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:
    I like it, Kouko! Gives a better view of the handle as well.

Echo that!

Great images from both of you - I've never tried poses (aggressive or not) with a weapon before...makes me want to (after I move the keyboard and monitor to my new desk tonight).

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Try doing this in DAZ STUDIO or POSER....

Just ambient occlusion. no lights. Isometric camera.

Both Poser and DAZ Studio can do ambient occlusion so I wonder, what is the implied difficulty apart from modeling?
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:

Both Poser and DAZ Studio can do ambient occlusion so I wonder, what is the implied difficulty apart from modeling?

the lack of a text modeler is the difficulty. Kinda fundamental to the image, seeing as how it's a logo.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:

the lack of a text modeler is the difficulty. Kinda fundamental to the image, seeing as how it's a logo.

Your logo can be recreated in DS except for the lettering itself which can be done in Hexagon. Other then that, all aspects can be met.

Hexagon is free and does text modeling very well - http://mattymanx.deviantart.com/art/Star-Trek-3D-Font-Pack-339642352

Carrara is only a tool and does not do everything. It does certain things better then other programs but then does poorly in other areas as well.

edited December 1969

Okay, let's not start any wars please and thank you. I was really just curious as to what exactly she meant.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

hmm, post a render, hmmmmm what nice one do I have handy? How about this one with stonemasons backstreets I'm still working on. This is just a test render, ignore the target helper sphere.

smbackaly.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 82K
    Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    araneldon said:

Your logo can be recreated in DS except for the lettering itself which can be done in Hexagon. Other then that, all aspects can be met.

Hexagon is free and does text modeling very well - http://mattymanx.deviantart.com/art/Star-Trek-3D-Font-Pack-339642352

Carrara is only a tool and does not do everything. It does certain things better then other programs but then does poorly in other areas as well.
    I would be willing to put this BASIC artstudio task in Carrara up against your multi-program workflow any day, especially time involved from start to finished render.... Let's go! ;-)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

giddy up

horsey.gif
    1920 x 1080 - 6M
    edited December 1969

Horse2 is a good looking horse... I see what you mean about the tail...

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

I would be willing to put this BASIC artstudio task in Carrara up against your multi-program workflow any day, especially time involved from start to finished render.... Let's go! ;-)

Please do not misunderstand my comment. It was not an attempt to make one program out to be better than another but simply to point out that it can be done with the right tools and creativity. All programs I use, DS included are just tools. Though while I do not model much of anything, due to lack of skill, Carrara has been an invalueable tool over the years in regards to all the models I have converted here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/491/ - and elsewhere. In fact all models listed there went through Carrara regardless of its native format.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Please do not misunderstand my comment. It was not an attempt to make one program out to be better than another but simply to point out that it can be done with the right tools and creativity....

It could also be photographed with carved balsa wood, grey primer, an airbrush, and some controled studio lighting.... But that would be somewhat off topic seeing as how this is a Carrara forum. :smirk:

I think it's ok to toot the Carrara horn here. Horses for courses as the Brits say. I posted something that Carrara can do fast and well. I don't see the need to create a controversy, but I am happy to back up the reasons I posted it here with my real life example. DS is a lousy studio "tool" (your word, not mine). Poser (Pro) is less lousy, but still very specific for the price. If you choose to insist these programs are all equal in their capabilities I beg to differ. You are clearly not using your "tools" for the same purposes that I am.

I don't need advice to use multiple programs and importing models when Carrara does it all in one and we are here in the Carrara forum. I actually question why that would even be suggested. Haters gonna hate. ;-P

edited December 1969

So now suggesting that A is not better than B is tantamount to hating A.

That's some mighty interesting logic :P

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:

Didn't someone recently say that "Most people here can take criticism just fine......." ?

Oh, wait...

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    hmm, post a render, hmmmmm what nice one do I have handy? How about this one with stonemasons backstreets I'm still working on. This is just a test render, ignore the target helper sphere.

Great WIP! Looking forward to seeing the final version.

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Good choice, Stan. Backstreets has always been one of my favorite pieces Stefan's made.

edited December 1969

araneldon said:

Didn't someone recently say that "Most people here can take criticism just fine......." ?

Oh, wait...

I guess it all hinges on your definition of "better"...? :roll:

A single program, easier setup, no intermediate files, and a faster render.... YES that would be *my* definition of better. :coolsmile:

But I didn't actually say Carrara was "better" I just said "try doing that in DS or Poser...." Really, this is not controversial.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Here's one I still consider a WIP. Haven't had much Carrara time lately.

ringed-planet.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 950K
  • RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

Very nice. This is one of the render types I hope to do some day but haven't figured out how to put in a planet, nebula or stars yet! Well, I figure the planet is probably a large sphere with a texture/shader on it. That's 1.

It looks awesome, I particularly like the lights on the ship which if you've read my other thread you know is something I've been playing with.

edited December 1969

Very nice. This is one of the render types I hope to do some day but haven't figured out how to put in a planet, nebula or stars yet! Well, I figure the planet is probably a large sphere with a texture/shader on it. That's 1.

It looks awesome, I particularly like the lights on the ship which if you've read my other thread you know is something I've been playing with.

Thanks! The planet is actually three spheres. One with the surface texture (which was from the link below), the second with a cloud map (again from link bekow) and the third is a sphere with alpha enabled at 98% and with a light blue in the glow channel with the 3D aura applied. The ring of asteroids is a simple torus. I made some asteroids in the Meta ball modeler and used a surface replicator to replicate them onto the torus.

The star field is a hi-res version of the Tycho Star map. I originally got it from NASA's site, but I can't find the bookmark. You might be able to search for it. If not, PM me and may be able to help you out.

This link may be of some use to you, it's a bunch of earth maps that you can use to build your own Earth shaders:
    http://www.oera.net/How2/TextureMaps2.htm

edited December 1969

Very cool evilproducer. I still don't know how to actually add the star field in. In Daz I'd either set it as a backdrop through the edit menu or stick it on a large plane behind the objects I'm rendering depending on the situation. I assume Cararra has a similar ability.

edited December 1969

Oops! Sorry! I mean to post a screen shot. If you select scene from the Instances panel you should see Effects above it. From there you can select any number of scene effects/options.

The Background will wrap all the way around the scene. You can use images, but if they aren't spherical, you'll get a line where Carrara joins them. You can tile images. This is also where you would use an HDRI if you want. Whatever you use for a Background will be reflected in any object that has reflection.

A note about HDRIs and the scene's Background: If you want the light effect of an HDRI then you need to have Skylight enabled in the render room. If you want to use an HDRI, but not have it show up, use the Backdrop option to hide it, or use the Rennder Alpha Channel option in the Render Room. Don't use the Pre-multiplied Alpha or it will show up. The Skylight will use whatever you have in the Backgound channel as a light source. Color, image map, HDRI, etc. The HDRI will be more dynamic. Skylight will also use the Realistic Sky which is under Atmosphere to generate lighting as well.

The Backdrop will only fill the window. To avoid distortion with the Backdrop, make sure that whatever image you use is the same aspect ratio as the final render. Images or colors or whatever in the Backdrop will not reflect in your scene objects. As mentioned above, you can use the Backdrop to mask out the Background, but if you use an image in the Backdrop in conjunction with a Realistic Sky under Atmosphere, the Backdrop will appear behind the atmosphere. Great for sci-fi scenes where you want a planet behind clouds and haze poking above the horizon.

Picture_1.png
    363 x 740 - 45K
    edited December 1969

You have no idea how useful this post is to me! I just copied the whole thing down, stuck it in a document and added it to a folder I have for Cararra information I'm gathering. Thank you so much!

edited November 2012

I should have also added that you can display your backdrop in the Assembly Room by using the Interactive Renderer. With a Map (or whatever you want) chosen as the backdrop, click on the little circle with up arrow icon at the top of the Assembly Room's window and it will open a dialogue where you can set many of the display options (will have no effect on render settings in the render room at all.) Check the Show Backdrop box, and when you click the Okay button and exit the dialogue it will display the backdrop in the frame.

I Should also add that if the assembly room is acting sluggish, you can lower the Texture Map size or disable transparency. If you're having trouble with light positioning, you can choose to use the scene lights, etc. Scene lights really only works well with standard lights like Spot, Bulb, Distant, etc. Doesn't work well with (in my experience) Anything Glows or the shape lights. Again, this will only effect the display- Not the final render. These settings are scene specific, so if you create another scene they will return to their defaults.

Picture_8.png
    938 x 744 - 845K
    Picture_7.png
    439 x 592 - 88K
    Picture_3.png
    348 x 83 - 15K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for this. It's been added to the document I made with your tips about doing backgrounds.

edited December 1969

araneldon said:

Oh, wait...
    I said "most people" which isn't synonymous with "everyone". English isn't my native language; what's your excuse? ;)

• DievansDievans Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Hi Everybody,
    This is my first time posting here. I've had Carrara for a while, but haven't used it all that much so I'm trying to learn more. Here's one using that great Country Lane 2 set, then postworking the heck out of it. Honestly, the postwork is a result of me not being not being happy with the lighting of the character and not knowing how to get what I want. Thanks for looking!

rivergirl_benson.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 4M
    edited December 1969

dievans said:
    Hi Everybody,
    This is my first time posting here. I've had Carrara for a while, but haven't used it all that much so I'm trying to learn more. Here's one using that great Country Lane 2 set, then postworking the heck out of it. Honestly, the postwork is a result of me not being not being happy with the lighting of the character and not knowing how to get what I want. Thanks for looking!

That looks AMAZING! Great results whatever the method!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

dievans said:
    Hi Everybody,

Very nice!
    What method did you use to create the impressionistic style? Did you go over it by hand? It looks much better than what you might get from a Photoshop filter.

• DievansDievans Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Thanks Holly and Dean! I used a little program for the Mac called Autopainter Express. There are only four settings (I used Benson), and it's stupid easy to use. Seriously, it's the closest thing to having a 'Make Art' button I've ever seen. The results are quite nice though.

edited December 1969

Very nice effect and a great job. What was it you didn't like about the lighting?

This discussion has been closed.