Runtime error when rendering

SenaReSenaRe Posts: 39
edited December 1969 in New Users

I keep getting a runtime error in daz when I try to render an image. The error attached pops up

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Re-install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 version appropriate for your operating system.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26368

• SenaReSenaRe Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

I installed and restored, un-installed and re-installed and I get the same error message when I render.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Rinse and repeat for the VC 2010 package...and maybe the VC2005 (but that one should have been superseded by the 2008 package).

What version of Windows?

And what type of render? (if it is 'progressive' turn that off)

edited December 1969

I have Vista.

I'm not sure what you mean by progressive?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

See if anything said on this page can help you

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538

edited December 1969

Advanced render settings...

proff.png
    658 x 598 - 26K
    edited December 1969

thanks it is off. I reinstalled VC 2010 package and it took care of it.

edited December 1969

And then I try a more complex render (just more things in the scene) and the error is back

edited December 1969

Did you do anything else?

Reboot?

Stop and restart DS?

What version of Windows?

edited December 1969

I have rebooted.

I have stopped and restarted DS several times

I'm using Vista Home Premium as the other comp no longer has the memory to handle DS, or at least that's what the error on that one says.

I have made sure that everything is up-to-date.

I tried to render the image this morning and nada. It doesn't seem to want to render more than just something simple ie: M5's head worked great, nothing else has.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What is your Total Ram and Free ram with DS loaded?

edited November 2012

On the laptop (the one with the runtime error) it says 2 GB Free Ram 1.41GB (32-bit)

On the desktop (memory error) 896 GB Free Ram 589 GB - I don't have anything other than the basic DS 4.5 nothing added. (64-bit running 32-bit DS as I just discovered that it was 64)

Post edited by SenaRe on
    edited December 1969

The desktop amount seems very odd...are you sure that isn't MB?

If so, then it's showing you've got less than 1 GB of RAM...which generally means BIG PROBLEM (especially on a machine less than 10 yrs old). I'd say go here and download and burn to disk, this diagnostic disk http://www.memtest.org/ (follow the directions there) and run it on the desktop...

The laptop amount...2 GB of RAM is barely enough to get Windows running, especially Vista. You are using about 1/4 of your RAM just for Widows...once you load DS and your video card assigns some more RAM to handle viewport, you've got next to nothing left to render with...

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

I have a laptop with 2GB of ram that is running 32bit XP, which uses less memory than Vista. The 32bit version of DAZ 4.5 crashed all the time while rendering anything more than the simplest scene.

I have another laptop with 4GB or ram that is running 64 bit Win 7. The 64 bit version of DAZ 4.5 was very solid on that machine. It could render fairly large scenes with no problem.

I think there is some issue with the 32 bit version of 3dlight or DAZ.

edited December 1969

mark said:
    I think there is some issue with the 32 bit version of 3dlight or DAZ.

There is...

It's called being at the very edge of being able to run on a 32 bit system...it's not a flaw so much as trying to fit 5.1 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket. Depending on things like video cards, background apps and even desktop settings/eye candy it could be enough to push it over that edge. And 4 GB (max RAM for 32 bit) is just as bad, because when all is said and done, you end up with roughly 2 GB of usable by programs memory...and that's without any of them running.

Looking at the performance of the software, I'm guessing the next full version release is going to be 64 bit only...the capabilities/features/memory requirements are too much for it not to be.

edited December 1969

Putting DS on the laptop was a last resort kind of thing when I couldn't get it to work on the desktop.

As for the desktop, you're right, it is MB instead of GB. My bad. Should I change that one to the 64 bit? Or is there not enough RAM? Suggestions?

edited December 1969

Okay, I used the download from http://www.memtest.org/ on the desktop and it came back as no errors.