Problems getting Daz 3d 4.5 to run

RoboBeerRoboBeer Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I recently uninstalled daz3d studio 4 and then re-installed 4.5 (both the 32 and 64 version).... everything appeared to installed fine. ....but now when I click on the icon to start the program nothing happens. Is this a Win 7 bug?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Is the Content Management Service running (check the Services tab of task Manager, which you can launch by right-clicking on the Windows Task bar)? If so, try turning it off from the Start menu shortcut.

• RoboBeerRoboBeer Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard for responding to my post...... Ok I stopped Content Management Service in task manager but daz3d studio still will not open for some reason

edited December 1969

Ok, the next thing to try is looking at the log - in Windows Control Panel open the Folder options applet, and in the View tab set the option for Hidden Files and Folders to Show, then go to C:\Users\You\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio 4\ and open the log.txt file, if it's there, scroll to the end and see what the last few lines are.

edited December 1969

"Last few lines"

Scanning content folders
    WARNING: dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(36): DB Register Open error: Stream read error.
    DB Register Open error: Stream read error.
    WARNING: dzvalentinaobjectdatabase.cpp(36): DB Register Open error: Stream read error.
    DB Register Open error: Stream read error.
    FATAL: ASSERT failure in QList::at: "index out of range", file D:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\jobs\NB_Studio_Trunk\workspace\src\sdk\include\QtCore/qlist.h, line 469

edited December 1969

It does look like a CMS error, though in that case I'm surprised that shutting it down didn't help. Try shutting the CMS down again, go to the folder you selected for the database and remove the .ind file - that became corrupted once for me and caused DS to crash on launch.

edited December 1969

Hey Richard thanks for getting back to me. Ok I went to the ( C:\Users\Tim\Documents\DAZ 3D.) documents content folder under my user docs but didn't see the .ind file. I also went to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 and looked for it there but didn't see it. Is there another place that daz installs the ind file? Or is it buried inside another folder instead of the root dir???? Maybe I don't understand what daz is calling a "database"

Thanks again for you time in helping with this issue.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Use Windows search and do a search for *.ind files...

edited December 1969

The .ind file will be in the folder you chose for the CMS database when installing DS - I didn't use the default and I can't recall what it was.

edited December 1969

Thanks guys....Ok did a search and found ContentDB.ind file and deleted it....but still nuthin' when I click on daz3d studio....will not open

edited December 1969

Is the actual Content Management Service running or stopped at this point?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Did you Uninstall the DS4 CMS? Or just the DS4 prg. When I upgraded to DS4.5 I uninstalled both before installing and everything went smooth on my Win7 system. The CMS uninstaller is in the CMS default folder and is not run when you Uninstall DS4. I'm not sure if that will help any but it might. Hope you solve this soon.

edited December 1969

@ Richard Yes Content Management Service is stopped and disabled...... Thanks Jaderail I will try to do another uninstall

edited December 1969

Two possibilities...

1. Not uninstalling/reinstalling the CMS borked it...

2. Something (AV/firewall/Windows) is blocking it from running.

Since you know it wasn't reinstalled, that should probably be your first thing to remedy.

edited December 1969

Thanks all but nothing has changed....oh well, at least I have poser. I'm on a deadline so I will have to find another working pipeline till I can figger out whats up with Daz. Thanks again for all the helpful tips

• andyjohnson2008andyjohnson2008 Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

I came across this thread, because I'm actually having the same exact problem. I have only been using he software for about a week, but all of a sudden today it wouldn't run. I have windows 7, 64 bit. I tried uninstalling everything, and reinstalling. I tried stopping CMS. I've tried uninstalling, deleting everything in my computer that has any relation to DAZ in it, then reinstalling - still nothing. I even tried uninstalling just the CMS, but still nothing. I can't figure out what happened between last night and today that made DAZ unuseble on my computer all of a sudden? Does anyone have any ideas?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Did you get an Update to Windows or your Anti Virus software? Are you logged in as ADMIN and running DS as Admin?

edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply Jaderail!

I just checked my updates, and yes, I did get two updates for Windows 7 x64 based systems (KB2762895). The updates show as recommended importance. Is it normal for an entire software program (DAZ Studio) to become inoperable due to a Windows update? Is there a way I can rollback the update?

As for my Norton Antivirus - I'm not sure if it updated, and I don't know where to check if it did so. I have tried installing DAZ Studio with the antivirus disabled, as well as run DAZ Studio with it disabled to no avail.

Another thing I've tried that was unsuccessful - turning off all services on startup.

Seriously, I'm at a loss here - I've never had a program just stop working before! I appreciate any further help!

edited December 1969

Okay, here is an update. I figured out how to uninstall my Windows 7 update, which I went ahead and did. I again tried to reinstall DAZ Studio, with the antivrus turned off. Once installed, I right clicked and run the program as an administrator (It's a home PC, so I'm the only user though), and it still does not run. I've never seen anyting like this. Good grief!

edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply Jaderail!

I just checked my updates, and yes, I did get two updates for Windows 7 x64 based systems (KB2762895). The updates show as recommended importance. Is it normal for an entire software program (DAZ Studio) to become inoperable due to a Windows update? Is there a way I can rollback the update?

As for my Norton Antivirus - I'm not sure if it updated, and I don't know where to check if it did so. I have tried installing DAZ Studio with the antivirus disabled, as well as run DAZ Studio with it disabled to no avail.

Another thing I've tried that was unsuccessful - turning off all services on startup.

Seriously, I'm at a loss here - I've never had a program just stop working before! I appreciate any further help!

Norton updates automatically, at least weekly.

As to Windows updates killing installed software...extremely common isn't quite common enough to say how often it does it. The problem is, unless it affects a major package like Office, Photoshop or Adobe products, it's the end users who are left trying to find a solution...