Error reports on DS3.1 -- no help from DAZ, is this standard?

ThePatrickThePatrick Posts: 0
edited November 2012 in New Users

Hi,

until today, I thought that DAZ is a reputable company.

But now, I don't know any more!

My problem: I have a new computer and I installed the newest available version of DS3.1 Pro on it. But it crashes very often on me. Now I thought, I could send one of the crash reports to DAZ and they could look into it and try to find out, what is happening or at least give some reasonable hints.

But after three days of waiting, they just dropped me 2 paragraphs with the hint I should try DS 4.5 or reinstall DS 3.1. Both hints are not acceptable, since it was a fresh install (why install it again??) and I want to use DS3.1 not 4.5. Why should the newer version be more stable at all? I doubt that one.

They did not even look into the dump it seams.

Such a behaviour is totally not acceptable in my opinion!

I cancelled my PC membership lately because of the shop troubles here, but I thought I would come back eventually -- but when they don't support their software then I might reconsider and think about switching to Poser.

Sometimes you should not look a gift horse into the mouth!

When you want that other people use your software, you also should support it -- and not throw some crap onto the user and let him alone with it.

Post edited by ThePatrick on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Simple...DS 3.1 is two versions back and basically 'unsupported'. That ship has long sailed...

Now, the reinstall request is not all that unreasonable. Nor is the request to update to the current, supported version. Both are long standing ways of dealing with software problems.

What OS are you running and what are your computer specs?

• ThePatrickThePatrick Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Simple...DS 3.1 is two versions back and basically 'unsupported'. That ship has long sailed...

Now, the reinstall request is not all that unreasonable. Nor is the request to update to the current, supported version. Both are long standing ways of dealing with software problems.

What OS are you running and what are your computer specs?

This is not reasonable in my opinion, since I bought DS 3.1 Pro just a rather short time ago. And when DAZ would not have opted to give away the version 4, I would loose the support for my bought version with no replacement. Also there are some things every here and then, which do not work in DS4 (one error was only fixed very recently), which work in DS3.

Also, as much I heard, the UI has changed very much and it also means much time for me to make the change, so I wanted to use the older version first, since I do not need Genesis right now.

Many people still work with DS3. Also on my old computer it works very well, which I do not understand. It is a real old version, and I do not know, what is the reason for the trouble -- the computer, the OS or because of the DS version. Unforturnably, I don't have the installer for the older version any more!

Ok, my new computer:

Core2Duo with 3,24GB memory (the chipset supports only that much)
    Windows 7 32bit (because of the chipset limitation, 64 bit Windows does not give more memory) SP 1

My older computer had:

Single Core processor with 2GB memory
    Windows XP 32bit SP3

What else do you want to know?

edited December 1969

Specific errors and graphics adapter...

I'm guessing that you've got onboard video, because 3.24 GB is an awfully strange amount of RAM otherwise...and if your onboard video happens to be most any Intel Graphics solution, that's 90% of your problem. All versions of DS, for a very long time, require a working OpenGL layer and IGS + OpenGL =/= working.

The next hurdle, especially for DS3.x is Win7...it can run in Win7 without doing anything, except 'taming' Win7. If not tamed, then your next best be is to right click on the installer and choose to install in 'Compatibility Mode'. DS3 wants to install the content folders to the Program Files...which in Win7 is now verbotten (by decree of MS...not anything DAZ can do about it). In other words, YOU need to do a custom, supervised install and make sure that Windows doesn't interfere with it (or your AV/firewall/etc).

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Specific errors and graphics adapter...

I'm guessing that you've got onboard video, because 3.24 GB is an awfully strange amount of RAM otherwise...and if your onboard video happens to be most any Intel Graphics solution, that's 90% of your problem. All versions of DS, for a very long time, require a working OpenGL layer and IGS + OpenGL =/= working.

The next hurdle, especially for DS3.x is Win7...it can run in Win7 without doing anything, except 'taming' Win7. If not tamed, then your next best be is to right click on the installer and choose to install in 'Compatibility Mode'. DS3 wants to install the content folders to the Program Files...which in Win7 is now verbotten (by decree of MS...not anything DAZ can do about it). In other words, YOU need to do a custom, supervised install and make sure that Windows doesn't interfere with it (or your AV/firewall/etc).

Hi mjc1016,

thanks first of all!

It really seams, that I have an Intel Graphics solution. Is there anything I could do about it (without buying an additional grapics adapter)???

I must admit, that I did not understand that "taming" stuff, you wrote about. I installed the "content" directories in the user directories (that should be Win7 compatible). The only thing that is odd, is that DS uses different directory names (DS uses english phrases, but the path names are in German, since it is a German Win7) -- but it looks that this is working, since content is found.

My guess would be the graphics adapter stuff, but I must admit, that I don't know what your taming thing was, since I did a normal install the only thing I changed where the content folder name.

Best Regards!

ThePatrick

edited December 1969

Win7 has UAE and various other things to restrict what can and how things are installed. Basically, 'taming' Win7 involves unlocking it enough to actually get something done. The first step is shutting off some of the protections and then making sure that your firewall/AV aren't interfering.

Now, that you've said you directed the install to a Win7 compatible location, that should make things a bit easier.

The only advice I have for the Intel...play driver roulette...try several different driver versions, hopefully finding one that works. What it boils down to is the fact that the drivers are very buggy and OpenGL support is sacrificed for DirectX support (or whatever MS is calling it these days).

Another key thing, make sure that things like the Visual C runtimes are up to date and are the correct version for your version of Windows.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

The Taming means your Content needs to be installed in a Win7 friendly place. Content can not be put in the Programs folder because of changes to Windows, Daz Studio does not care where you install the content, windows does. It looks like you have done that. So you have Tamed it. As for getting Support for a Program that is two years out of date (I use DS3A and it's not Supported) It just will not happen. All the NEW versions are the Support to fix issues in the older versions. I'm sorry but if you run a older version you must learn from other users how to do things. The Company considers the old versions finished and do not do work on them any longer.

EDIT: DS3.1 has not been SOLD for years now. Your Statement that you just bought it rings FALSE. If you are using software not BOUGHT from this site please delete it and GET the FREE version from here.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ... All the NEW versions are the Support to fix issues in the older versions. I'm sorry but if you run a older version you must learn from other users how to do things. The Company considers the old versions finished and do not do work on them any longer.

So, I could install DS4.5 and when it also crashes, submit an error?

Will I get help then?

I am not sure!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The Taming means your Content needs to be installed in a Win7 friendly place. Content can not be put in the Programs folder because of changes to Windows, Daz Studio does not care where you install the content, windows does. It looks like you have done that. So you have Tamed it. As for getting Support for a Program that is two years out of date (I use DS3A and it's not Supported) It just will not happen. All the NEW versions are the Support to fix issues in the older versions. I'm sorry but if you run a older version you must learn from other users how to do things. The Company considers the old versions finished and do not do work on them any longer.

I forgot: Thanks for the hints!

edited November 2012

Jaderail said:

EDIT: DS3.1 has not been SOLD for years now. Your Statement that you just bought it rings FALSE. If you are using software not BOUGHT from this site please delete it and GET the FREE version from here.
    And YES you will get support for the version that is current.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited November 2012

Jaderail said:

PLEASE DO NOT misquote me!

I did not write that I just bought it, but I wrote that it was "rather short time ago".

AND: I TRULY BOUGHT THIS VERSION -- PLEASE DO NOT MAKE STATEMENTS THAT ARE PLAINLY WRONG AND INSULTING!

Post edited by ThePatrick on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

PLEASE DO NOT misquote me!

I did not write that I just bought it, but I wrote that it was "rather short time ago".

AND: I TRULY BOUGHT THIS VERSION -- PLEASE DO NOT MAKE STATEMENTS THAT ARE PLAINLY WRONG AND INSULTING!
    I never Said you did not buy it. But in the program world two years can be a very long time. All I was trying to say was if you BOUGHT it from another site (not long ago, I was thinking just months) that it could be a File with a Virus installed in it. I did not think you had done anything wrong, I was more worried you might get hurt from the file if it was that new.
    I'm Sorry that I did not explain myself better. I am very tired and did not think about how my post could be misunderstood.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

... edit ...

This is not reasonable in my opinion, since I bought DS 3.1 Pro just a rather short time ago. And when DAZ would not have opted to give away the version 4, I would loose the support for my bought version with no replacement. ... edit .... Unforturnably, I don't have the installer for the older version any more!

Ok, my new computer:

Core2Duo with 3,24GB memory (the chipset supports only that much)
    Windows 7 32bit ... edit ...

? think we all would read as indicating that you bought D/S3 recently. As a D/S3 purchaser myself and active member in the forums, guess it depends upon what you call "short time ago". However, irregardless of when you bought it, check your "detailed order history" and you can reset the download ;-) [i did about a month ago and it was working then, so hopefully this is still true]

You might find the .1 has been updated a tad though as when the newer versions of 3 were released the updates were granted to all purchasers.

Also, reset the downloads for and nab the correct versions of any plugins you require for 3 ... for eg. those for the skeleton figure setup tools, etc. that you may have purchased.

Welcome to Windows 7!!!!
    Yes it's a tad 'over-protective' of the "official" program folders [albeit for good reasons].

You'll find with the older programs, many of which will run on W7, installing them into "your own made up programs folder" on the harddrive will make for a more enjoyable experience. As many do, I also would recommend installing the Bryce7Pro there [it's free too!] ... and whether or not you install it; while it's free also, sure, "buy" a copy of the DazStudio4.5 ... then you can get it anytime later on if/when you change your mind :-)

Oh yes, also nab the free Hexagon ... it has the bridge to work with D/S4.5 which is important for making morphs and clothing etc.

edited December 1969

Oh yes, also nab the free Hexagon ... it has the bridge to work with D/S4.5 which is important for making morphs and clothing etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I did all of them before, I think. I recently resetted DS3 and have downloaded now the newest version (as much I know) also I have all the other stuff downloaded but not installed yet.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I never Said you did not buy it. But in the program world two years can be a very long time. All I was trying to say was if you BOUGHT it from another site (not long ago, I was thinking just months) that it could be a File with a Virus installed in it. I did not think you had done anything wrong, I was more worried you might get hurt from the file if it was that new.
    I'm Sorry that I did not explain myself better. I am very tired and did not think about how my post could be misunderstood.

Ok, than it was a misunderstanding. I am glad to hear that, since I really thought you implied illegal software usage. And maybe, I should have read your statement a little more thourough (I was also rather tired) then I might have been aware of what you where talking about.

Ok, and I admit, that I did not know exactly, when I bought this version. But maybe we just have different viewpoints. Two years can be a long time -- OK. But just take a look on Windows XP: How old is it now -- and there exist 3 newer versions now, and still millions are using it.

From the users perspective, two years can be a short time. Some companies need two years to have a new software version rolled out to all of their departements. When you tell them, the software is out of date after two years, they will not buy any of your stuff. They will not regard you as a business partner at all.

Ok, now. But this of course depends on your view point. I would not be angry about DAZ, when they would have clearly stated to me: "This version of your software is out of date, we will not support it any more" (But still, this only would be acceptable, since there is an update path to a new version for free -- which indeed existed not before DS4 became free).

But what? They just did not say it. They said (I exaggerate a little to make my point clear here):

"We will not look into your shabby dump, we don't look into every dump, some dumb customers drop unto us ... go away!"

This is the kind of style, I will not tolerate!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I'm on a newish laptop myself (less than a year), and the only DS I had a problem installing was my very old DS 2. Don't know why, it just refused to install properly on this Win7 Pro (with XP mode) 64-bit computer, even though I have many other 32-bit apps running on here very nicely.

That said, I am working with DS 3.1.x Advanced (I don't believe there was ever a Pro version of DS 3) and DS 4.0 Pro on this laptop with no problems. What I did was a "customized" installation as suggested above. The difference is, instead of just keeping my Content (or DS 4 My Library) folder out of the Program Files directory, I installed the whole application outside of Program Files.

IOW, I have 2 directories at the C:\ root of my computer called 2D Applications and 3D Applications. I have both versions of DS, Hexagon (and several other apps) installed in the 3D Applications folder. That keeps it out of the hands of either of the Program Files directories.