Forest? What is your opinion?

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've eyeballed the forest (link below) for sometime. It is in fast grab right now, and I'm curious what folks think. Do you like it? How does it look for instance in a darker nighttime scene?

Your opinions appreciated.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/fast-grab-3d-models/forest

Comments

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

Its huge, heavy on resources and extremely well done. At that price, its a steal. Plus there is an autumn add-on and from I've heard there is also a winter add-on coming as well.

• GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
    edited November 2012

Ditto on BurstAngel's evaluation. Great discounted price.
    The ground texture is not good for closeup shots. So don't use it to make renders of ant colonies. LOL.

Post edited by Gigabeat on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I like Forest and its add-ons a lot. It looks phenomenal. But as already mentioned, it is a very resource intensive environment prop. I do all my renders in LuxRender, and while Lux can load the environment just fine (so long as you have the memory for it), it cuts render speed to 1/10th of what I normally get. So I use it selectively.

The most popular render I've done with it so far (based on dA views and favorites) is Forest Purple.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

It's a good product. My only picked nit is that the trees/grass/rocks/etc. in the original forest product all load in clumps at preset locations making it harder to break the scene up and use parts of it. The creator has acknowledged this issue in the original release thread and stated that he would consider breaking them up in the future and/or providing zero position single instances in future products.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

I have often wished to turn off parts of it, but you can't really do that. It's def heavy on resource and renders really slow. I had a hard time getting a really decent night render with it. It's a gorgeous set though.

Sadly i bought it 5 weeks ago at full price. Sigh.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,496
    edited December 1969

Forest is a great product, I've used it as whole and also used the tree group props in other renders to add some trees.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

You should rename the thread "Forest Clump". I purchased the product, but have not used it, so no opinion from me other than, "Damn, 70% off is a great buy".

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited December 1969

Hah! I like the suggestion. I ended up buying it is a good price, I admit I am a bit wondering how the grass will render on my system. I like more realistic ground, but the trees and stuff look good. I will test it tonight and see what I think.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

As mentioned, it's resource heavy. But absolutely beautiful! I have 12 gigs of ram but not much video memory so moving objects is a bit laggy.

Also, you CAN select, for example, a tree that is in your way and make it invisible. I've done that on occasion. This is actually my current favorite scene set.

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

I bought it, but cannot load it - my computer is just not capable of using this item. Looks gorgeous, but beware - extremely resource intensive.

edited December 1969

I bought it, but cannot load it - my computer is just not capable of using this item. Looks gorgeous, but beware - extremely resource intensive.

The hi resolution version takes about 1GB of RAM to load on my machine.

201211281528_forest_mem.png
    522 x 190 - 10K
  • MardookMardook Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

I'm buying this when it comes bundled with the addons, a wintery addon being on the way sweetens the prospect of doing scenes with it.

Btw... Adamr your avatar always makes me smile, that kitten with the large earphones always reminds me of Estelle Getty. I don't know why!

edited December 1969

A winter forest would be awesome. I'm always on the lookout for more snowy stuff.

edited December 1969

I like elements of the forest, such as the river and trees, but I've decided I'm not very fond of this particular set. The grass in particular just doesn't have the dimension or quality I'm lookng for. Thanks for everyone for the advice. =-)

• MardookMardook Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

If the hair products that are being developed by AM & the Garibaldi for DS come out sooner rather than later. Either one could be utilized to achieve the grass effects that you are looking for.... maybe!

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,811
    edited December 1969

I like elements of the forest, such as the river and trees, but I've decided I'm not very fond of this particular set. The grass in particular just doesn't have the dimension or quality I'm lookng for. Thanks for everyone for the advice. =-)

If you need something in the nearer term, for grass, you could try Predatron's Grass, or, if you're looking for something that will work in medium distance renders, First Bastion's Hilly Surround. No trees in either, but depending on what you need to do, you could get some of Merlin's trees for that as well.

Using a lot of Predatron's Grass WILL slow down your system a bit. And even though I ubersurfaced it within an inch of its life, it does take ages to render.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

I agree that Predatron's grass is good stuff. Don't use too much of it though, I tend to only use one or to well placed chunks of it i a scene.

edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    Using a lot of Predatron's Grass WILL slow down your system a bit. And even though I ubersurfaced it within an inch of its life, it does take ages to render.
    In DS4, you can instance the grass and save a lot of overhead.
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    In DS4, you can instance the grass and save a lot of overhead.

Unfortunately that isn't supported when you export as on OBJ so it doesn't help external renders. And even a plugin I am waiting for said it won't be able to use instances in DS 4.5 for a bit. And tools like infinito don't support instances.

So yeah if you can instance it, go for it. But even when I did that it still had a noticeable impact on my system. More so than a character with a 13 piece outfit.

edited November 2012

I love predatron's grass and his weeds. Use em often. Now that is grass!!! I also think the light set he makes is wonderful. My favorite.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

A lot depends on personal style, lighting, and most important camera angle. Here are two images I did (not sure of gamma on either since they were done on two different pc's).

The one with the Klipspringer in the middle was the camera load of the scene. There was a huge tree blocking the view. I selected it and made it invisible. The autumn one was obviously a higher angle and the grass panels are more obvious.

Forest-Klipspringer.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 218K
    Koit-elfboatx800.jpg
    800 x 640 - 99K
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

I've eyeballed the forest (link below) for sometime. It is in fast grab right now, and I'm curious what folks think. Do you like it? How does it look for instance in a darker nighttime scene?

Your opinions appreciated.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/fast-grab-3d-models/forest

here is an image of the "forest superior" I have rendered with just one distant light/deep shadow map and 4 distant lights without shadow for environment light. Unfortunatelly for ray trayced shadow I need a new machine. Have rendered another with a bathing beauty that I have uploaded only at renderosity because of nudity and where I first have tried ray traced shadow but after 4 hours just 47% were rendered and that is a bit to slow for me, so for me only deep shadow map is an option for the forest sets but I have bought them also because of the single prop set (new stuff) "forest elements"

(my name there at rendo if you want to visit my gallery there is the same as here: cosmo71)

Forest_Superior_River_2.jpg
    1800 x 900 - 283K