Out of Memory

ZZZwsfqewgfgZZZwsfqewgfg Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi

I am using Bruyce 7 Pro
I have an i7 860 16 GB Ram Windows 7 64 Bit (fresh install two weeks ago)

I am trying to do Multi Duplicate and I keep getting "out of memory" crashes.

Why?

I have a good system can any one please fill me in???

Also ideas on how to make Bryce more stabe as its very unstable and does just crash alot.

Thanks

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

1, Bryce is a 32 bit application. It cannot use more than 4 GB of memory...but that is more of a theoretical maximum than a practical one. For all practical purposes, it can't use more than between 2 and 2.5 GB. Often it is stuck with much less than that. So right off, discard 12 to 14 GB of RAM. What else is running?

1a. Because of it's 32 bit nature, it doesn't get along well with later versions of Windows...some of the instability you mentioned is probably due to Win7 not particularly liking it very much. XP is pretty much where it 'peaks', as far as stability/performance is concerned.

2, How many/how big/what are you trying to duplicate?

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Your 16Gb of RAM is about 13Gb more than Bryce will address. (and that's if you've forced it to address 64bit, if not it won't go beyond 2Gb)

The crashing will depend on what you are trying to multi-duplicate, if it's something really complex or even something simple with a high resolution texture mapped onto it, then my suggestion would be to not multi-duplicate so many in one go... build them up slowly one or two at a time, then save before repeating the process.

How to make it more stable; Bryce crashes out for many reasons, mostly related to memory issues.
    It also eats memory in it's own 'undo buffer', so regularly saving and quitting, then restarting will help a bit because it clears the undo buffer.

Hope this helps.

• ZZZwsfqewgfgZZZwsfqewgfg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hey thanks for the replies and the info.

I also use this computer of FSX but I only run bryce7.1 pro on its own

Right back to XP then!!! LOL

I was try to mutli repilicate 10 robots ..... Rather hi res ones per time.

I will take it bit more gently on the poor program now I now its limits.

Thanks and cheers
    Z

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I was try to mutli repilicate 10 robots

Ideally, the instancing lab would be best for this... I say "ideally" because not many people have actually got it to work properly as it tends to just make copies instead of creating instances. There are some threads on here about it, but I've not really had time to look in to it in any depth.
    edited December 1969

Yea I have had no luck with the instancing lab either.... Drives me nuts!

So is there a new version of Bryce on the horizon?

One which will be designed for 64 Bit Architecture as XP will not be supported after 8 April 2014.

Cheers
    Z

edited December 1969

Yea I have had no luck with the instancing lab either.... Drives me nuts!

So is there a new version of Bryce on the horizon?

One which will be designed for 64 Bit Architecture as XP will not be supported after 8 April 2014.

Cheers
    Z

Don't hold your breath...but supposedly, some time before 128 bit processors hit the market...

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Bryce is a 32 bit application and has a limit of 2 GB. Bryce does everything in memory, therefore 2 GB is all there is. If your system sports at least 4 GB, you can make Bryce large address aware and then you get around 3.4 GB that can be used. There is a free tool, which is very simple to use, with which any program can be made large address aware. In fact, there is only a flag that has to be set, and it can be reset again with the same tool. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

Find laa_2_0_4.zip a bit down. A free process monitor is also featured on that site. I recommend to install it as well. It shows memory and processor usage for any selected program, e.g. Bryce, only. The task manager shows the total and is not always helpful. I tested LAA for all Bryce versions from 4 up to 7.1 and it works fine.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Just to add I've been running Bryce on Win7 64Bit for over a year now and have zero problems so don't feel you need to go back to XP. In fact the only real problem I've ever heard about Bryce relating to Win7 is that when you first try to install it some people get an error called "side by side configuration error" which is caused from Win7 not shipping with a certain .dll that some 32bit programs require. Once one downloads and installs that .dll the problem is gone. Of course since you're actually able to run Bryce you've already made it past that problem.

edited December 1969

Just to add I've been running Bryce on Win7 64Bit for over a year now and have zero problems so don't feel you need to go back to XP. In fact the only real problem I've ever heard about Bryce relating to Win7 is that when you first try to install it some people get an error called "side by side configuration error" which is caused from Win7 not shipping with a certain .dll that some 32bit programs require. Once one downloads and installs that .dll the problem is gone. Of course since you're actually able to run Bryce you've already made it past that problem.

It's more how you have Win7 'tamed' than any particular 32 bit program....configured as MS ships it, it's very hard on most 32 bit programs, but Bryce was particularly rough going (even leaving out the 'side by side' issue). So rough, I decided to remove it from that particular machine.

edited November 2012

Hi

Yup its crashing at 3.8 Gig.

I finally got the image done but I can not render it at my normal 3342 x 2577 it keeps crashing.

I have also tried to run it in XP compatibility mode...But no good.

Hey does Bryce play nice with Win 7 32 Bit?

Any way here is the image: Called Grandmas 500th Birthday.

3Untitled.jpg
    1114 x 859 - 628K
    Post edited by ZZZwsfqewgfg on
    edited December 1969

Is it me or is the first 'droid, in the second row, in the back out of line?

As to Bryce and Vista and upwards, it's more how you configure the OS. With UAE and all the new ways Windows does things now, Bryce and Windows just don't get along all that well, any longer...and it's mostly Windows' fault.

edited December 1969

Hi

I finally got the image done but I can not render it at my normal 3342 x 2577 it keeps crashing.

I have also tried to run it in XP compatibility mode...But no good.

Hey does Bryce play nice with Win 7 32 Bit?

Any way here is the image: Called Grandmas 500th Birthday.

Nice render. Bryce runs fine on Win 7 32 and 64 bit. Your image is quite large. Try to render to disk instead. That might free some of the memory.

edited November 2012

mjc1016 said:
    Is it me or is the first 'droid, in the second row, in the back out of line?

Yea ya know when you are at a party there is always one or two who want to be different...Well that's them!

I do a lot of Bryce Art I am really considering going back to XP.

Post edited by ZZZwsfqewgfg on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

No need to go back to XP. Forget about replicating, you need to use the Instancing Lab. The IL DOES work. You just need to take the time to understand how it works and why. I have created a must read tutorial on the IL and how to use it with groups as you will require for your scene above (which is very nice btw).

Here is the link. It is most certainly worth your time and much less trouble than going back to XP. Once you get the hang of the IL you will not even think about replicating again. Best of luck.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3381/

The IL can be used for many things even for complex modeling. Kine Magik has made several follow up tutorials that explain less obvious but quite clever uses for the IL, but to grasp them you must have the basic understood first so start with my tutorial above.

The IL does work, trust me.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited November 2012

mjc1016 said:

It's more how you have Win7 'tamed' than any particular 32 bit program....configured as MS ships it, it's very hard on most 32 bit programs, but Bryce was particularly rough going (even leaving out the 'side by side' issue). So rough, I decided to remove it from that particular machine.

I didn't do anything special, I've never been one to really get in there and try to tweak the OS. Perhaps it depends on which version of Win7? I have Win7 Ultimate. The side by side error was the only issue I had other then the memory limitations of Bryce but that wasn't Win7's fault.

Now one thing also that is different on my machine then alot of people is I have a total of four drives and Drive D: (a 2GB drive is dedicated exclusively to Bryce, Studio, Poser and eventually carrera (when I finally get around to installing it).

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited December 1969

You must be using copies rather than instances. Have a look at the post by Rashad.

Here is a very quick example.

Pic 1:- Model loaded into Bryce, it is approx 210,000 polygons(quads), Bryce reports it as being over 420,000 (tris).
    Memory used by Bryce= Approx 110 MB

Pic 2:- Same model, but has brought along 1000 of his (instance) friends
    Memory used by Bryce= Approx 120 MB

friends.jpg
    877 x 360 - 127K
    single.jpg
    596 x 516 - 45K
    edited December 1969

You must be using copies rather than instances. Have a look at the post by Rashad.

Here is a very quick example.

Pic 1:- Model loaded into Bryce, it is approx 210,000 polygons(quads), Bryce reports it as being over 420,000 (tris).
    Memory used by Bryce= Approx 110 MB

Pic 2:- Same model, but has brought along 1000 of his (instance) friends
    Memory used by Bryce= Approx 120 MB

Just one problem, Steve...

With that many lined up they should look like this guy...

dalek.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 253K
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    With that many lined up they should look like this guy...

LOL

Funny, but I did think about Daleks when making the instances. I have never made a model of a Dalek, or I would of used it.

edited December 1969

Ok this is weird but I can not see the images you guys have posted or my render?

What am I doing wrong?

I will try Instance some bots ( yea I must have copied them) and see what happens tonight.

Cheers
    Z

edited December 1969

I do a lot of Bryce Art I am really considering going back to XP.

The tutorial Rashad prepared for the IL is really good. If you want to have it all together in a neat PDF, get it here: http://www.horo.ch/docs/guests/pdf/InstancingLab_Rashad.pdf

Rashad was kind enough to give me the permission to publish it in that form. Generally, there are other Bryce relevant documents on my site (see sig).

edited December 1969

Ok this is weird but I can not see the images you guys have posted or my render?

What am I doing wrong?

This site appears to have a lot of badly implemented javascript redirects that is causing issue.
    You could block javascript which would then show the images, but that will kill other functions. Or, you would need to allow all javascripts / redirects that may be getting blocked.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

If you are using Firefox, apparently if you use noscript then you need to make sure that Cloudflare is enabled, ie taken off the noscript list

edited November 2012

chohole said:
    If you are using Firefox, apparently if you use noscript then you need to make sure that Cloudflare is enabled, ie taken off the noscript list

It is actually a combination.
    You can block all javascript for this site, and you will see all images posted, but the site also relies heavily on javascript for the buttons etc, so that will cause issue. If you allow javascript but block the redirects to "ajax.cloudflare", that then stops the images being loaded, which, IMHO is a bug.

I must say I am quite irritated with all the redirect attempts from this site. Even when logging in / browsing my account, this site is constantly attempting to make my browser redirect/make connection to various external servers (cloudflare/cloudfront).

Post edited by stem_athome on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

hmm I don't get that, and I do logout and login a lot.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    hmm I don't get that, and I do logout and login a lot.

You will, but you probably do not know it because of your firewall rules, that will probably allow all outbound connections to remote port 443.
    They are connections made it the background, you will not be physically redirected, as in being sent to another site, it is that your browser will connect to those 3rd party sites without your knowledge.

As a quick example.
    I came to the forum, after seeing your post I went to top of forum to log in. On clicking log-in, my browser wanted to connect to daz(to log in) at 108.162.204.149.

Before I was sent and while attempting log in, My browser was being forced to attempt connections to:-
    (because the first IP cannot be connected to, a different IP is then attempted, and so on)