[Solved] Some error trying to install victioria v4.2

edited November 2012 in New Users

I cannot for the life of me get some of the files to run correctly, they open a blank box on the screen that does nothing, the ds file runs but the base model is not installed because the installer is not working, have downloaded it many times to see if there is an error with me downloading it but no, no luck.

So what do you think?

Edit: Sorry i was able to fix it right after i posted haha

Post edited by ixarts_dc21fbe5ae on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I was going ask, what operating system...

The V4 installer has always given me fits on anything other than Windows XP...

• edited December 1969

Windows 8 and windows 7, compability did not work when i did it originally but when i went on the w8 machine and put compability for win 7 it worked allthought it does not work on the win 7 computer haha

edited December 1969

Yeah...those are the kind of things I would get. It's even worse on my main machine, which is Linux. It got to the point where I installed it to a USB stick, attached to my wife's old XP laptop...now I just copy and paste.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2012

OK I don't use DS, I use Poser, but when I was going to migrate to this new machine I did a backup of the runtime which held all my V4, M4 etc stuff onto an external drive where I had all my other runtimes.

Then when I reinstalled Poser on the new machine I just linked that runtime in as a new library in poser. Good cheat to remember. Saved all the fighting with Win 7 I knew I would get. otherwise.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Then when I reinstalled Poser on the new machine I just linked that runtime in as a new library in poser. Good cheat to remember. Saved all the fighting with Win 7 I knew I would get. otherwise.

Yep...and it's a good thing, too...otherwise you probably would have needed an extra large bottle of your favorite pain reliever...and your favorite adult beverage (not necessarily at the same time) to get through that madness.

Centralizing the content, whether it's on an external, second internal (not OS partition/drive) or network drive is probably the best way to go about doing it, these days. Most programs can find it...some easier than others, but all the ones I know will let you manually assign where to look, too, so it won't be too difficult to find...and that way it's safe from OS changes and software updates/upgrades. Plus it saves space if you are using more than one machine (a desktop and a laptop, for example) and time spent installing to more than one machine.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah. I actually gave up on trying to get Poser 6 to work in Win 7, had to buy a copy of P8, was lucky, found a legit copy, still in factory packaging, and all the SM bumph sealed inside the dvd case. OF course Just about a month after I bought and installed that SM ran an offer of on P9, but that is a prime example of Murphy's law in action.