Hair render time

tankeratltankeratl Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello,

I have a big issue with daz3D, render time without hair is about 1 minute, but with hair it take me more than 7 MINUTES !!! Is there a way to reduce this time ?? I use wildmane hair ...

Many thanks to you guys

Comments

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited November 2012

These help:
    1) use UberSurface on the hair, disable raytracing and/or occlusion
    2) use shadow maps instead of raytraced shadows
    3) reduce bucket size

Post edited by araneldon on
  • tankeratltankeratl Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your quick reply ! But i have a problem : when i select wildmane hair and apply ubbersurface my hair become white !

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    edited December 1969

7 minutes, man that is fast! LOL Seriously, the more quality the render and the settings, the longer it will take. Also depends on the renderer. I would be happy with a 1 hour render, LOL. (most of mine run overnight in lux or vray)

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

When applying the shader be sure to hold control. It should trigger a pop up menu with options. Change the second dropdown from REPLACE to IGNORE. This should keep your hair materials but apply the shader.

edited December 1969

lol yes i know 7 minutes its very short render time but my question was more about the difference between the render time of my character and the render time of hair !

edited December 1969

Ok, now render time is 1min 20 seconds, thats awsome many many thanks for your help, i really appreciate !!

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The difference in render-speed with hair versus no hair is quite normal.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

tankeratl thank you so much for starting this thread!!!

Question: when applying the UberSurface, should we use the default surface or the human surface?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

Human Surface Shader is a different shader. There's also uberHair, which has three "upgrade" presets that will do a better job of preserving the original hair's look than just holding down the command/control key and selecting the ignore maps option.

edited December 1969

Human Surface Shader is a different shader. There's also uberHair, which has three "upgrade" presets that will do a better job of preserving the original hair's look than just holding down the command/control key and selecting the ignore maps option.

I don't agree with that. They don't keep the original look at all, they change how the shine and sheen work dramatically. One can argue they may be better than uber surface, but just don't expect them to look anything like they did before. Frankly I don't really use uber hair myself because I don't like what it does to the hair a lot of times. It's great for certain looks but not for others.

By default I use ubersurface with the ignore maps option, and if I want to try to spice things up I move over to uber hair. But I probably only use it 10-20% of the time.

edited December 1969

Well that's true - they do make changes, especially to the specularity (which is what they are fo). I could have phrased that better.

edited December 1969

I'd love to know people's setting variations then... I'm way uneducated on uberanything, save that it always works better than the daz shaders.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    I'd love to know people's setting variations then... I'm way uneducated on uberanything, save that it always works better than the daz shaders.

Are we just talking ubersurface and hair? Because uberhair is a different product and it is a good one for the price (if you catch it on sale ;)

But I think we would need to pick what to talk about. I don't have any settings persay, but if something doesn't look right I add ubersurface and tweak settings. Sometimes PW Surface, or another speciality shader.

So what's our focus again lol

edited December 1969

just ubersurface. I can't afford anything new right now :) I think that would be most helpful to most people anyway.

edited December 1969

but if something doesn't look right I add ubersurface and tweak settings. Sometimes PW Surface, or another speciality shader.

Is PW surface meant to work with daz studio shaders or ubersurface shaders? my presets do not change either

edited December 1969

Neither - pwSurface is an alternative shader, though as I recall it doesn't have the option to exclude raytracing.

edited December 1969

Okay, that's interesting. It seems to work with ubersurface, but not with DAZ Default... as I said, it changes neither.