Copy Genesis Head Shape

Hey all.

I feel like this is a basic question, but it has me stumped.

Some characters come with separate morphs for the head shape and body shape. This is very easy to use. However, some only come with one overall character shape.

What is the best way to transfer a head shape from one Genesis figure to another in cases where there is not a separate head morph, only a full character morph?

Thanks!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

If you have an application that will load a morph target the way DS will, from an OBJ, and that will then allow you to limit the effect (with selection, fall-off or by painting) then you can do it that way - I believe Blender will do it, I know modo will (import morph into background layer, apply background as morph to plain Genesis in foreground with a linear falloff excluding the head, export that as an OBJ, load as a morph target in DS, if necessary adjust rigging to shape) but it is potentially fiddly, especially if the rigging needs to be adjusted, and it can't be done in DS alone.

• madisonx_c5746f56a5madisonx_c5746f56a5 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

Wow, really? I'm amazed that you can't do something as simple as copying all the morphs from one region and pasting it to the same region on another figure...ie: I like the upper body settings on one character and want to apply them to another figure without going in and adjusting every parameter individually.

Thanks.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Settings can be copied and pasted, but that didn't appear to be what you were asking.

edited December 1969

Settings can be copied and pasted, but that didn't appear to be what you were asking.

Sorry if I was unclear.

I simply want to take, for example, all the parameters for a Genesis Character's head, copy them, and paste them to another Genesis head. So if I like a Character's face but want to put it on another Character's body, how do I do that without a seperate head morph (which not all characters have)? Other than simply adjusting each parameter individually?

When I have tried to do this myself, I end up pasting more than just the head. I have tried selecting the head and copying it, then pasting it to the head of the new figure, but I end up pasting the whole body.

Like I said, seems like a simple thing that I am just messing up somehow.

Thanks!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It does seem simple...until you realize that Genesis has only 1 'part'. There is no separate geometry for the head, the entirety of Genesis is what you get, so morphing the nose means you ARE morphing the entire body. The only way to morph just the nose is in a modelling program and then tell DS that's the only thing changed when setting up the morph to save (assigning to a specific region and so on in the save options).

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    It does seem simple...until you realize that Genesis has only 1 'part'. There is no separate geometry for the head, the entirety of Genesis is what you get, so morphing the nose means you ARE morphing the entire body. The only way to morph just the nose is in a modelling program and then tell DS that's the only thing changed when setting up the morph to save (assigning to a specific region and so on in the save options).

I'm not sure if this is what I'm talking about...maybe it is?

Let me try again :)

1) I purchase 'Character X' and apply it to Genesis.

2) I create a second Genesis figure, 'Character Y'.

3) I want to take the head / face from the first 'Character X' Genesis and apply it to the second Genesis figure, ie: all the parameters set on 'Character X' and apply them to 'Character Y.' IE: Nose Bridge Parameter .20, Eye Size -.45, etc.

Thats it. Basically just a way to speed things up instead of manually changing all the parameters to match.

Thanks!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

That's just it...it's all 'connected'.

In your first post, you made a point about doing that for a character that didn't have a separate 'head'. Without having had it set up, when originally created, it's an 'all or nothing' type thing. Basically, with Genesis to morph something, you are morphing everything. So when you copy a setting you are copying the entire 'morph', which is pretty much, everything. If it wasn't set to a specific 'region'/area of the body, DS pretty much assumes it is a FBM.

To get that separation, you need to take it into a modelling app and 'separate' it, so you can create a new morph that is just the head. Then the copy/paste should work, because DS will know that it isn't, necessarily, dealing with the whole body.

• 3DBerlin3DBerlin Posts: 105

This would be a nice feature to add in DS

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,910

This could be useful: https://www.daz3d.com/x-morphs

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,018
    Leana said:

This could be useful: https://www.daz3d.com/x-morphs

And it is in the Flash Sale right now. I don't own it though, so I can't say whether it would do the job or not.