How do I stop clothing from adopting Genesis body shape?

rbel_295e7c1d4crbel_295e7c1d4c Posts: 99

Using Genesis in 4.5.1.6. Simple loose top created in Hexagon adopts the Genesis body shape instead of staying a loose fit. I take it that telling the transfer facility to use a loose fitting template (the loose bodysuit) is not sufficient.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

With clothing you need to build it around the default shape of Genesis, otherwise you'll have to reverse the shape with the Transfer Utility to make it fit, this will leave unwanted crumple zones on your clothing, especially if you built it around a female shape.

If your refering to your loose outfit "caving in" when you dial a morph in Genesis, then that's the auto follow morph system they use in DS4, if the conformer doesn't have the required morphs built in, then it auto generates the morphs, problem is that it's a really crap system as it only does "skin-tight" morphs, which are totally useless for most clothing but even more so for loose fitting clothing.
    The only current remedy is to build the morphs into the clothing yourself, that way auto follow will dial them instead of making it's crappy morphs.

• rbel_295e7c1d4crbel_295e7c1d4c Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

The loose top was constructed on a zeroed Genesis base. An example of the problem is that while the Hexagon item drapes loosely over the breasts, when the transfer utility has added the Genesis data the material is plastered tightly over and under them and to the torso, clearly not following the outline shape of the Hexagon item.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

How can the cloth drape over the breasts if it's modelled to the zeroed figure? Could you post some screenshots showing the before and after?

edited December 1969

It is shaped as though there were breasts in place. The zeroed Genesis is used to get all the other dimensions/modeling correct eg the height, the length, the torso and shoulder widths etc.

I assumed that if I modeled the top entirely on the zeroed Genesis then it would be bound to follow all the contours and thus not behave as though it was a loose fitting garment.

edited November 2012

Apologies if I have not explained the problem clearly enough. I have now molded the top more closely to the zeroed Genesis figure but still leaving the front draping loosely - see left image which is before the transfer facility is used. The right image has gone through the transfer facility process and had smoothing applied (no smoothing produces poke through) and has been applied to a basic Genesis female shape. This shows that the drape effect is marred by the material conforming to the lower curve of the breasts which is what I am trying to avoid.

Grateful for any help in producing the desired effect.

top.jpg
    622 x 351 - 44K
    Post edited by rbel_295e7c1d4c on
    edited December 1969

DS can't know that you modelled that as if draped over breasts, so when you set the female morph it will adjust the shape to keep the clothes in the same relative position with respect to the new shape as they were with respect to the original. What you should do is model it to fit the base shape, then create a custom morph (with the desired draping) for the female shape(s) you wish to use.

edited December 1969

Interesting - many thanks Richard.

So if I have interpreted your guidance correctly, I do the following:
    i) produce the top molded to the zeroed Genesis figure and apply the the transfer utility and smoothing and save as a Figure/Prop Asset
    ii) amend the top to produce a draped effect, save as an .obj, then use Morph Loader Pro to import the morph into Studio
    iii) set the morph to 100% and apply 'Adjust rigging to shape'
    iv) Set the morph to 0 and save as a Morph Asset at the correct location.

Having done this I should then be able to apply the top from the Figures section of Content and then apply the morph, which should give me the desired result.

Have I got it right or have I missed anything out?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Interesting - many thanks Richard.

So if I have interpreted your guidance correctly, I do the following:
    i) produce the top molded to the zeroed Genesis figure and apply the the transfer utility and smoothing and save as a Figure/Prop Asset
    ii) amend the top to produce a draped effect, save as an .obj, then use Morph Loader Pro to import the morph into Studio
    iii) set the morph to 100% and apply 'Adjust rigging to shape'
    iv) Set the morph to 0 and save as a Morph Asset at the correct location.

Having done this I should then be able to apply the top from the Figures section of Content and then apply the morph, which should give me the desired result.

Have I got it right or have I missed anything out?

Almost, for step 4, I think you need to use the Save Modified Asset to get it to save without it doing something like saying 'that name is used...'

You will also, most likely, need to do an ERC freeze, in step 3.

edited December 1969

You should never adjust clothing to shape - for it to conform correctly the joint centres have to match the wearer (Genesis) and the adjust rigging option moves them. No, what I was suggesting was making the base clothing to fit base Genesis and then making a morph to fit, save, Basic Female and loading that through Morph Loader pro with the name (available from Parameter Settings) of the Genesis basic female morph so that DS will use your morph, with draped fabric, instead of the vacuum-packed auto-generated morph.

edited November 2012

mjc - many thanks.

Richard I understand your response up to 'making the base clothing to fit base Genesis' but I am not at all sure how to apply the remainder of your text. Apologies but, like many here, my knowledge of the intricacies of Daz is sadly lacking. It would be really helpful if you were able to set out the steps in an idiot proof 1,2,3 format that I could follow.

Post edited by rbel_295e7c1d4c on
    edited November 2012

You'd make your clothing so it would fit to the base Genesis, without any account of breasts, and a reshaped (but without adding any extra mesh) version that fitted over the female shape as you wish. Then after turning the base shape into a piece of conforming clothing you load the modified shape with Morph Loader pro, setting the name to FBMBasicFemale for the Basic Female morph. DS will then use the shape when you dial Basic Female up Genesis, without adding any additional distortions as in your earlier go. To get the right name to use for an imported morph you need to click the little gear on the slider, select Parameter Settings from the menu, and then look in the Name field (the Parameters and so on panes show the label, which is usually different - for a morph to auto-follow the Genesis morph the names must match exactly).

Getting_Morph_name.jpg
    452 x 532 - 53K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Correction/shaping morphs are the way to get the 'perfect' fit...but the problem with them is, you need one for each and every shape...or at least the basic ones...Basic Female, V5, S5 and so on...then add in the Gen4 females and then the Gen3 (need the iconic shapes to get/use those)...that should cover most of the dial spun morphs. But then you are still stuck when it comes to sculpted morphs.

There's no 'best' solution that fixes it for everything.

edited December 1969

Richard, very many thanks for setting the process out in an easy to follow sequence.

mjc, very many thanks for indicating the limitations of the end result.

edited December 1969

A slight problem.

Having produced the basic top and the reshaped version I call up the reshaped version via Morph Loader Pro > Choose Morph Files, select a property group and set reverse deformations to 'yes' and enter FBMBasicFemale in the name field.

When I click Accept a pop-up appears which tells me that "A morph named 'FBMBasicFemale' already exists. Please choose a new name for the morph". This seems logical but I don't know how to get around it unless I am supposed to change the 'Overwrite existing' setting which seems a bit drastic?

edited December 1969

At the end of the list of options under the OBJ in the Morph loader pro dialogue there's one labelled "Overwrite existing" - right-click on its value and change it to Deltas Only. You are, or should be, getting that because there was already an auto-generated morph for Basic Female - if you don't dial the morph into Genesis before loading the morph that won't happen. You don't want to use reverse Deformations at this point - that's needed if you export a morphed item to create fix morphs to deal with problems and want the fix morph to be just the correction and not the whole change (usually with JCMs, or fixes to expressions with characters).

edited December 1969

Again many thanks. Having put everything in a sequential list I think that I now understand the process from end to end and I will now see if I can put it into practice.