Michael 5 Problems

melaniemelanie Posts: 763
edited December 1969 in New Users

I just purchased Michael 5 and when I tried to download the files, my Norton tells me that the files are a threat to my computer and it won't let me download them. I've used up two of my five downloads and I'm only getting partial downloads. How do I download these files that I've just spent money on? Did I get some bad files, or is there something I can do to fix this? Help!

Comments

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited November 2012

No worries on the limited downloads as you can reset them in "my itemised order history" and the counter will jump back to 5.
    I downloaded m5 myself without any problems so the files should be fine.
    You could turn Norton off and download m5 and when finished, switch it back on.
    I think Norton is acting up because M5 comes with an installer and sees it as an executable or something.

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

It is because they are exe files. In general most security programs turn up their noses at them without actually having a clue if they might be bad files. You need to convince Norton to let you run them (better yet save them somewhere) or turn off Norton when you download them. They are safe files honest.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Also if a download has failed, clear your browser cache before attempting a second download, becuse the partial failed download will still be in cache, and will cause the next attempt to fail at roughly the same point.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,733
    edited December 1969

Open Norton's interface. Click the Advanced link. Under Computer Protection click Quarantine. Highlight a removed installer in the list - it will probably say something about WS.Reputation in the details box. Click Restore and Options on the right. Click restore and Exclude this file, then confirm your action.

• melaniemelanie Posts: 763
    edited December 1969

Thanks, everyone. I've downloaded things from DAZ for years and never had a problem like this before. I'll try the options you've all mentioned. My Norton is being paranoid, I guess.

• ElspathElspath Posts: 180
    edited December 1969

Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat with M5. Love how Norton is killing the file just because less than 50 people in the "community" use it, therefore it must be evil. I tried turning Norton off, clearing cookies, browser cache and all, but norton is enjoying eating my M5 files for snacks. Ideas?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,733
    edited December 1969

Have you tried what I suggested above - going to the Norton quarantine list and removing the file from that?

• melaniemelanie Posts: 763
    edited December 1969

Actually, I ended up downloading them to my older computer and moved them to my good computer. Everything works great now.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

I had this problem with Norton on one of my computers. I had to disable a feature called "Download Intelligence" which was deciding the downloads were dangerous because not enough Norton customers had downloaded those installers.

I could not find any sign that the downloads had been quarantined. I could not find any way to get them back. I first tried to disable "Download Intelligence" for a day, but when the day was up, Norton woke up and deleted all the files I had downloaded while the feature was disabled. Permanently disabling the feature seems to be the only option.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

One: Richard is 100% correct. The FULL download is in your Quarantined Files list and can be Restored with ease if you know how to use your Norton Software.

Two: Turning OFF Norton during you Downloads also works, but you MUST install the files before your Norton runs it's next FULL scan or it will just move the file into the Quarantined area again.

I've used it for YEAR's as one of my many programs that protect my PC. And I never let just ONE program protect my PC. No user should ever think one thing will cover you from all attacks.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Note of caution: do not run two or more AV programs at the same time. Staff at Norton's did tell me that doing so can kill your computer.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Not so much kill your computer as argue with each other and get nothing done effectively.