Trans equals what?

DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,812
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

On maps, there are scales to measure distance, e.g. 1 inch = 1 mile, etc. Rotation in DS is degrees, e.g. xrot 45 = 45 degrees. So, e.g. xtrans 10 would be what? Centimetres, inches, feet?

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

If memory serves, the x/y/z trans units are cm, with the 'ground grid' of DS laid out in 50cm squares.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited November 2012

1.0 units of translation = 1 Centimeter

And see this thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11923/

Post edited by wancow on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Basically, everything in DS is in cm.

That means a 0.1 displacement is a mm, too.

edited December 1969

Oh crap... you know what, till I read your post, that never bloody well occurred to me!!! No joke!

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Yes, centimeters. But the floor grid is 1 meter squares, not 50cm.

The easy way to see for yourself is to make a 1m cube primitive. Move it +50cm X and Z to fit it in a grid square.

mac

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,812
    edited December 1969

Thanks all. Now I know how to place a building a quarter of a mile away :)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Yes, centimeters. But the floor grid is 1 meter squares, not 50cm.

The easy way to see for yourself is to make a 1m cube primitive. Move it +50cm X and Z to fit it in a grid square.

mac

I suspected that 50cm would come back and bite me ... I had a render running at the time and could not check/confirm. :)
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,812
    edited December 1969

Which places the building outside a skydome. So, according to DAZ, the universe is only half a mile wide :ohh:

Translation.jpg
    958 x 821 - 67K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You do know they say the world is getting smaller all the time...but just beyond the end of my driveway? That's a little too small...

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

But, but you can scale the sphere up! And things disappear from the viewport if you scale them too big.
    If that's the UE sphere it doesn't matter if things are inside or outside, they still will be lit (as long as the texture on the sphere isn't set to show in the render, that is).

edited December 1969

There's got to be a way to create backgrounds... some technique you can use to render a background, then map it onto a sphere, or a background arc... I'll bet that would be a great pluggin or script challenge for some of these guys that do that...

• anton_1ff7210029anton_1ff7210029 Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

There is Infinito

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/infinito-1-0

But at that price? Errr .......

edited December 1969

I was looking at that... I'm not sure. I'd like to see one or two other people actually using it and recommending it before I buy it...

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited November 2012

It was half off during the PA sale. The only reason I didn't buy it was because it didn't support instancing. I'm thinking I should have bought it anyways.

Allessandro has some great videos available if anyone is considering it. He is the same artist who is developing the "Look at my Hair."

Post edited by Joe Cotter on