How Come Forum Images Look Like Garbage?

chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is it just me? I looked around for a thread on this, but didnt see one.

When I look at most posts with images here on the forum, they look all messed up, like old half downloaded images from the early years from the net.

Ironically, pics in people's sigs generally look pretty good. Is it just me?

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

We did have a couple of others experiencing half loaded images but it was a few weeks ago and I have slept since. I tied looking for the thread but failed, sorry.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

We eventually tracked it down to being something to do with Kaspersky internet security 2012, a recent patch. Updating to version 2013 cleared it.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Thanks anikad

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Hell... it's not just the images, it's the bloody product downloader... I can't dl any of my purchases :(

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am having no problems with downloads,

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I finally got them, but I had to reset one item...

• chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    We eventually tracked it down to being something to do with Kaspersky internet security 2012, a recent patch. Updating to version 2013 cleared it.

Is it just with the forum software? I havent had a problem viewing any product information on DAZ.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2012

JPEG images degrade on the forum, (Excludes Avatars and signatures) PNG is the best format to post on the forum. I am not sure why its half loading for some of you.

Below is the same image in JPEG and PNG... You can see the quality difference.

Deviant art has the same issue, despite what format is used on icons and scaled down images.

PrimWeapBanner2.jpg
    480 x 80 - 61K
    PrimWeapBanner2.png
    480 x 80 - 60K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

If you're talking about how the pictures don't show completely and are kind of gnarly at the top, if you have Kapersky 2012, that's what it is. I thought there had been a fix, but it turns out I had paused my Kapersky for some other reason and forgot. Turned it back on 2 days ago, and things were gnarly in the forum pictures again. I just paused it again to make sure before I typed this, and the pictures look good now. Just have to remember to turn it back on again.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited November 2012

Spyro said:
    JPEG images degrade on the forum, (Excludes Avatars and signatures) PNG is the best format to post on the forum. I am not sure why its half loading for some of you.

Below is the same image in JPEG and PNG... You can see the quality difference.

Nope. I can't tell the difference. Both look fine to me. No, seriously! No problem at all. Both are clear images and there are no discernable artifacts at the edges of the the text or object images I suspect a large pure color area of a JPG might get muddy but the images submitted for our observation both look identical and un-muddy.

I'm using InternetExplorer9, Win7-pro, Norton InternetSecurity2013 on an HP 23" 1920x1080 display. No magnification. Native screen resolution. And my glasses are off (that's a good thing when I view things closely.)

I have not had any issues with any images on the DAZ forum looking crummy except images made from older MACs that looked overly dark because they were produced with an incompatible gamma setting.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

That is very interesting. iPhone safari , opera , explorer all show artifacts for me on multiple PC and on phone with jpeg on this form