Tube lighting - Tutorials and Image (sci fi)

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
edited December 2020 in Carrara Discussion

Hello.

Just having a play with tube lighting.

Process is as follows.
1. Turn all lighting off inc ambient so that I render black.
2. Add one Tube light. 100% brightness, no fall off, white and small distance (6ft x 6ft for eg)
3. Move it near a light source and play with lengths until it falls to cover about the right amount (not much distance)
4. Now play with brightness, colour and set fall off to 30%.
5. Copy and paste around so that there are lots of 'em in the scene.
6. Let the light bounce off each other (some bits of scene overlap with lights, some are dark)
7. (sometimes) Bring up ambient light to fill the corners with a little light (10-15% max).

e.g. of an old model I could never make look good until tube lighting.

n.b. no post work here. I could (should) have added some glow. Ah well, just playing around.

EDIT - 2x Tutorial vids!

LBRY.TV TUTORIAL (part 1)
LBRY.TV TUTORIAL (part 2) <-- more detailed don't miss this one.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited December 1969

reupload a tiny >800x800 copy of your pic with a link to a bigger one, if you post it on Facebook I find right clicking properties on it gives you the address of the image to copy for others to view without accessing your page.
    so I have been sticking them there as well as Photobucket and flickr.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Thanks Wendy.

Big Pic
    Tube lighting in the Tin Can

For more pics don't be shy and join my facebook page. It could do with a few more followers!
    Sci Fi Funk pics

Tin_can_Night_time_1_SMALL.jpg
    768 x 432 - 142K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2012

I really like that, but I have zero clue what you mean by 'tube light'. Do you mean Omnifreaker's UberAreaLightTube in the UberArea light pack?

/edit
    Mother-effer... I'm starting to hate using view recent posts. Sorry, I didn't notice this was in Carrara, but it does give me an idea to try with the uberarea tube in DS. LOL

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Vaskania.

I used to use DAZ all the time until I hit the limit of my ambition vs what it could do for me.

My advice, come over to the dark side. Carrara will do more in less rendering time. I love the modeller and now (finally) I seem to have the patience to use these tube lights, without getting all frustrated that they don't make a lot of sense.

Now I don't care that it doesn't make sense, I go with what it can do for me.

edited December 1969

I'll definitely consider that option next time they have a good Carrara sale. :cheese:
    Is Genesis and all that good stuff compatible with Carrara, or is it more like a Poser vs DS type of situation?

edited December 1969

A Video featuring Tube lighting.

It's a semi-tutorial discussing tube light settings, with a trial scene (Display Room by Stonemason)

Youtube Tube lighting demo

How do I embed Youtube vids on this new forum anyone?

edited June 2012

Vaskania said:
    I'll definitely consider that option next time they have a good Carrara sale. :cheese:
    Is Genesis and all that good stuff compatible with Carrara, or is it more like a Poser vs DS type of situation?

You get to keep all your poser files and Carrara just picks them up like Daz. The Daz files are not compatable.

Also you have to tweek some of the materials, but you'll be probably working on them and lighting anyway, so it's no biggie.

I got Carrara 8 pro for next to nothing by buying Carrara 7 via a magazine, then upgrading when 8 was on offer!! Woohooh!

Best of luck.

p.s. last time I looked they were working on Genesis compatability. Should be in 8.5. I lost interest in new people stuff after M4 and V4.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the info. :)

edited December 1969

Just a note to say I've now made 2 x tutorials.

latest vid:-

YOUTUBE TUTORIAL (part 2) <—more detailed don’t miss this one.</p>

• paulg625paulg625 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the information!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited October 2013

Vaskania said:
    Carrara 8.5 is made to have Genesis as Native Content.

(Image is Gen2Fem with a touch of V6, G6, Gia and the morph packs and is in Carrara 8.5 with V4 auto-fit clothing and hair)

RTG2WLSR1A.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 691K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 2020

Just a short note to say I've updated the links to where the video now lives on LBRY.TV (see first post in the thread).

For those using Carrara's native renderer, learning all about tube lighting will take your renders to the next level.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Does the LightX plugin by AB also include a TubeX light? https://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=nolineal If we can level up to the next next level...

I don't know I haven't used it. Anyone?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 2020

the last build of carrara 8.5.119 supports ds triax wieght figures and blended weight figuress.  add your ds runtimes as ds files

there is also a HD plugin available to use the hd morphs for the genesis figures, not sure where the tutes on those are.

there is also a plug in for phong tesselation, lets us use the veins tiff files - tutes would be kewl

PhongheartHD

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 2020

carrara 8.5.119 does not support general weight, the weightmapping all the latest ds figures use
    general weight does not cause carrara to crash!  it causes u to see the bones to appear to move without the mesh.

the reason gen3 and gen8 crash carrara is due to typos in the internal node ids.  internal id vs internal names, 2 different lines in the file

carrara does not support geografts.  recomend dont conform the geograft, parent it to something other than the figure it was designed for
    conforming a geograft inside carrara punches holes in the mesh and destroys the uv maps.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited December 2020

rather it doesn't read the general weightmapping from the DAZ studio duf format

it will read if from DAZcollada

triax was introduced in 8.5, every version of Carrara prior to that was general weight but none could read duf at all

I just tested again

imports rigged in C8.1 as well as C8.5 but not the clothing, no IK but rotate turns the joints

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

does the older version support quarternion rotations?

thanks.

the native carrara wieghtmapping is a mystery.  there is a brush tool for it