It's Raining Men Again Competition -- Winners Revealed!!!!

KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
edited January 2017 in Art Studio

It's Raining Men Again

Last year, the forums were all a buzz with Men and Male clothing causing several threads and a widely popular contest. There has been some interest in resurrecting the contest from last year. So, we’re running it again. Some things have changed this year. This year the contest isn’t being run by the Forum Mods. Instead, it will be a forum member run contest with Knittingmommy as the main contact for the contest.

The rules have remained basically the same. 
Voting will be conducted by a panel of judges. So show us your best Male renders.
Any Humanoid Male figures can be used. 

The Challenge has Two Parts
Prizes for Be
st Render, 2nd and 3rd Places, HM
Separate prizes for B
est Re-Purposed Non Male clothing Item and 2 HM.
(Please note this doesn't mean just stuffing poor Michael (or whoever) into a dress -  it needs to be a genuine alternative usage of a non male item.)

All images will be entered for Best Image; any image which uses and mentions a re-purposed item will be entered for Best re-purposed item. However no image can win the same level in both categories.
For the re-purposing we will favor those who give some explanation of how they re-purposed.
Donations to the prize kitty by both Vendors and Forum members will be gratefully appreciated.

Challenge starts now, November 1, and will end on December 31 midnight DAZ time, to give you plenty of time to do your best for our poor hard done by 3D men.

Rules  

1.  You can enter up to 3 Images
2.  Entries must all be new renders.
3.  Please submit your entries here to the Entry thread with an attached file for voting purposes.  We do need the attachments to compile the voting thread.  In the spirit of the contest, please post your entries here before entering other DAZ contests.  Entries can be submitted to other DAZ contests once they have been entered here as long as it isn't expressly prohibited by the other contest.  Yes, you can post to your DAZ Gallery.
4.  Entries can use any render engine/program of choice as long as the main focus is the male figure.
5.  Title is optional, but please state if your image is to be considered for the Re-Purposing category by tagging it Re-Purposed.  More points for those entries which state the re-purposed object and what you did with it if not obvious.
6.  Postwork is allowed.   
7.  Female figures are allowed in an image, but the main focus of the image must be the male figure.
8.  Keep it within the TOS.
9.  Re-Puposed Category - This category is to take an article of clothing NOT designed for the males and using it on or with the male figure in a new way.  This does not mean throwing the male into a dress and calling it done.  For inspiration, please check out last year's voting thread in the links and look for those images which are tagged Re-Purposed.
10.  Female morphs are not allowed in this competition including, but not limited to, the use of such products as GenX which enable users to apply female morphs onto the male body.  We want to concentrate on the male figure.  However, scripts that allow artists to swap UVs allowing female skins to be used on the male figure WILL BE ALLOWED as no morphing is involved and UV swapping is a pretty common occurrence for most of us.
11.  Swapping out entries is allowed as long as your final entry is in by the "end date".  No swapping will be allowed once I've posted the  'Contest Closed' post and whatever image you have posted at that time is the entry you will have to keep.
12.  Please list if render engine if Carrara was used in the making of your entry.  See Prize listing for Special Carrara Incentive.  If your entry was made in Carrara, please post a screenshot of your entry in Carrara in your entry post along with your entry.

If you are unfamiliar with the It's Raining Men Contest here are links to last year's contest:
It's Raining Men - Forum Team Challenge to the Forum Community
It's Raining Men - Challenge Winners
Mod Challenge It's Raining Men Thread for Judging (ALL 140 ENTRIES WITHOUT COMMENTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD)
Post edited by Knittingmommy on

Comments

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2016

Prizes:

1st Place
    3 prizes from Darwins Mishap’s shop (excludes DAZ orginals)
    1 prize from FirstBastion's shop (excludes bundles and licenses)
    Staging Chamber by NGartplay  (substitutions allowed if already owned, exluding bundles)
    $20.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Knittingmommy
    $20.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Daz 3D
    $20.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Gerterasmus
    $10.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Nonesuch00

2nd Place
    2 prizes from Darwins Mishap’s shop (excludes DAZ orginals)
    $15.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Knittingmommy
    $10.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Daz 3D
    $5.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Nonesuch00

3rd Place
    1 prize from Darwins Mishap’s shop (excludes DAZ orginals)
    $10.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Knittingmommy
    $5.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Daz 3D

Honorable Mention
    1 prize from Darwins Mishap’s shop (excludes DAZ orginals)
    $5.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Isidorn

Best RePurposed Female Item
    1st Place

$10.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Knittingmommy
    $10.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Diomede
    $10.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Gerterasmus
    $5.00 Daz 3D Gift Certificate from Nonesuch00

Honorable Mention 1

Honorable Mention 2

Special Prize Incentive for Carrara Entries
    $10 GC from Wgdjohn will be added to the prizes of a winning placement in either category if that image was also setup and rendered in Carrara.  If there is more than one Carrara image in the winnings slots, the prize will go to the top ranking Carrara entry.

I want to thank all of our contributors for making their donations!  We have a great prize pool this year.  If anyone still wishes to donate, please PM knittingmommy.  I will continue to take any donations to the prize pool and will update as donations come in.  Thank you!  :)

edited November 2016

Note to our illustrious PAs!  

You guys are always so busy and it seems as if you never have time to do any renders just for fun.  While you can't enter the contest, we would love to see what you can do with the male figure.  If you have time and would like to post an image for our pleasure and enjoyment, please do so and mark your images as NAE for not an entry.

Alright everyone, the contest starts NOW!  I hope to see lots of entries this year everyone.  Get busy! Show me the MEN!

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312

Can the images be posted to other non Daz contests and galleries?

• Since the original contest wanted to keep within the DAZ community, I made the decision to keep it at DAZ this year as well.  So, no, please keep the entries just at DAZ and the DAZ gallery and DAZ contests.  Thank you. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow those are some awesome prizes!  I am going to have to participate in this one for sure this time around.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Questions! Two months is a long time, sometimes. As we're limited to three entries, will we be allowed to withdraw entries we've made if we later decide we would wish to replace it with a new (better) one?

Also, are non entries welcome in this thread, or should those be kept in the Raining men thread in the commons?

• isidorn said:

Questions! Two months is a long time, sometimes. As we're limited to three entries, will we be allowed to withdraw entries we've made if we later decide we would wish to replace it with a new (better) one?

Also, are non entries welcome in this thread, or should those be kept in the Raining men thread in the commons?

I did open the door, so to speak, for NonEntries when I invited PAs to participate even though they can't enter the actual contest.  I think, if a person has submitted all three of their entries and would like to showcase more images with men then submitting an image to the thread which is not an entry will be allowed, but it must be clearly marked NAE for Not an Entry in the post with the image.

As always, there is also our Michael and Friends Appreciation Association thread in the Commons which will probably be feeling very lonely during the run of the contest so please also continue to post any extra NonEntry images there as well.

As to the possibility of swapping out entries, I'll have to think about that and get back to you.  It was allowed in the first contest, but it was a special case where a new male figure had just been introduced and adjustments were made to accommodate that event.  I will ask the experts on such things and let everyone know what the official stance is on swapping out entries in the next couple of days.

• Please forgive my ignorance, but I was wondering what a re-purposed item means? blush

• Please forgive my ignorance, but I was wondering what a re-purposed item means? blush

The Re-Purpose category is to showcase any Non-Male Clothing item that was NOT made for a male figure in a new or unusual way.  I've added to the rules to hopefully make it clear what that category is for.  Look at Rule #9.  Given some of our female clothing, please remember to keep it within TOS.  :)  It is a pretty lenient category, and last year had some really creative uses for female clothing for use with the guys.

isidorn said:

As to the possibility of swapping out entries, I'll have to think about that and get back to you.  It was allowed in the first contest, but it was a special case where a new male figure had just been introduced and adjustments were made to accommodate that event.  I will ask the experts on such things and let everyone know what the official stance is on swapping out entries in the next couple of days.

As there have been rumours of 'Lucien' being released, it would be nice if that was possible  - as I really hope he will be released before the end of the year.

Just out of curiosity why is the contest thread here in the Art forum where I feel it will get less exposure?

• Aaaaaa I see.  Thank ya kindly :)

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    edited November 2016

To get things started, Awan puts on his glasses to better see all the entries smiley

Isidorn entry #1

Let's see

Nothing repurposed.

Letssee (2).jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 383K
    Post edited by isidorn on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775

Are we allowed to use female morphs on our figures? Asking because I have an alien character who is indeed male but all genders of his species have (what appear to be) mammary glands. I was thinking of using him in one of my entries and thought I'd better check first. The model is Michael 4. 

• The general consensus last year was to avoid using any female morphs, including but not limited to using GenX to morph into a female to fit clothing and then morph back out.  For the purpose of this contest, I would say that it would be best to not allow any type of female morphs even if they are on a base male figure.  So, no, not in this competition.  Having said that, @Byrdie, it sounds interesting and an image I would love to see over in the Michael and Friends Appreciation Association thread.  :)

• @Isidorn  That's a very nice start to the competition!  :)

Thanks for the clarification, I'll post anything with him over there. But clothes, accessories and skins are okay to borrow from the girls, right?

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    isidorn said:

To get things started, Awan puts on his glasses to better see all the entries smiley

Isidorn entry #1

Let's see

Nothing repurposed.

Very nice.

edited November 2016
    Byrdie said:

Thanks for the clarification, I'll post anything with him over there. But clothes, accessories and skins are okay to borrow from the girls, right?

Yes, borrow their skin, clothes and accessories and let the guys strut their stuff.  Make them own that stuff!  :)

For example, I used skin for Opal for Genesis 3 on both figures in this image for Zev0's Aging thread:
    NAE - Not an Entry

The skin looks natural and does well for an older skin on either figure.  You can't tell that this is skin doesn't belong to G3M.  Scripts that swap UVs do not use morphs to take the male figure from female and back again to enable the base UVs to be swapped and will be allowed to be used in this contest.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Oh, I remember that picture I can say it's good since you aren't judging. LOL. I bought the Genesis 3 Aging Morph Kit just to enter this contest.

Looks really good. I have the scripts you're talking about for the Genesis 2 figures but I work primarily in Poser with the Mil 4 figures. So I've swapped UVs between them using UVMapper classic, that still okay as long as I load only the male morphs into Michael? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make absolutely sure before I post anything. Also, how do you get images to show up big like that in the forums? All mine seem to go in as attachments and are rather small -- basically thumbnail sized -- until you click on them.

edited November 2016

Oh, I remember that picture I can say it's good since you aren't judging. LOL. I bought the Genesis 3 Aging Morph Kit just to enter this contest.

Yeah, no, I'm NOT judging this one.  I probably won't even enter the contest.  I might pop one or two NAE images into the thread here or there, though.  :)

Byrdie said:

Looks really good. I have the scripts you're talking about for the Genesis 2 figures but I work primarily in Poser with the Mil 4 figures. So I've swapped UVs between them using UVMapper classic, that still okay as long as I load only the male morphs into Michael? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make absolutely sure before I post anything. Also, how do you get images to show up big like that in the forums? All mine seem to go in as attachments and are rather small -- basically thumbnail sized -- until you click on them.

Okay, bear with me, not a Poser girl here and I'm only slightly familiar with the UVMapper classic.  However, if you can swap UVs without using any female morphs then I'd say you are good to go and can use it.

edited November 2016

Sorry that took so long.  I went over and tracked down @Chohole's images for this and she can correct me if I get it wrong as I tend to mess it up, but to add a picture to the thread.  Upload your image as an attachment to enter the contest and save your post.  Edit your post (little gear at the top right corner of the post) and then right click on your attachment and tell it to go into a new tab so that it will go full size. (you can do it in the same window, but I find it easier to do this in a new tab)

On your full size image, right click on the image and select copy image address down near the bottom of the window that pops up.

Back in your post that you are editing, click on the picture icon up above the forum editor.

Then paste your image address that you copied into the URL spot.

Make sure to set the width to 800.

I've probably forgotten something, but I'm sure @Chohole will pop in and fill in any blanks.  There is another URL link on the second page, but I'm never sure what you are supposed to do with that.  I tend to just put the same image address into the slot, too.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Woot woot we are off and running!!!!

Yay now I can finally work on those male renders I have been wanting to forever!!!!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I think this contest should be stickied to the top of the Art form

Thanks again @Knittingmommy. UVMapper only bothers with UVs, does not touch the figures morphs so as long as I don't load any of Vicky's bits into Michael himself that's okay then. (Er, not those bits.) But her clothes, hair, jewellery, and makeup is all fair game so I'll post my first one in a little while. Got an electrician to deal with now, there's always something to mess with my fun. I don't wanna adult today ... but I guess someone's gotta do it. 

• For example, I used skin for Opal for Genesis 3 on both figures in this image for Zev0's Aging thread:

Clever Knittingmommy! Opal has a great skin. I never would have thought of that.

• I think this contest should be stickied to the top of the Art form

Done, since it's in the Art Studio forum.

• Thank you, Richard!  :)

Is there any word on whether or not we will be able to swop out entries?

edited November 2016
    scorpio said:

Is there any word on whether or not we will be able to swop out entries?

I haven't heard back yet.

edit:  I just got the official word that basically, yes, it is allowed.  I'll update the rules to state that.