Memory and Speed: Hiding vs Deleting

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

So I have a four figure scene. My puter is struggling every time I move the bloody camera.

Question, if I hide two of the figures, does anyone know how much better that is or is supposed to speed DS up vs deleting two of them out of the scene so I can work?

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Okay, so I'm hoping this is going to work well... I have Mattymanx MFMinvisibletree script (which is amazing, by the way)... and so far, I have two figures hidden and it's vastly improved my speed. I do not know if it would be any faster deleting the two figures out of the scene...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

What's your video card?

edited December 1969

NOT an nVidia... :) It's an ATI, I think... I"m using an ASUS U56E so I have to look it up :)

edited December 1969

ah, its a Integrated Intel® GMA HD

So, basically, it's crap :)
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/U56E/#specifications

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited November 2012

I was going to say there's a known OpenGL/ATi issue with laggy displays (basically certain driver versions have very poor or buggy OpenGL performance)...but, Intel is even worse.

You can try turning 'display optimizations' on/off and see if that makes a difference. It's under Preferences > Interface...also do the same for hardware AA.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited November 2012

Have you tried changing the shading from texture shaded to smooth shaded? That speeds things up tremendously for me. You get to it from the little sphere icon near the camera movement icons in the top right of the viewport.
    ETA: It doesn't affect the render.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

HIding hair works. Going to smooth shaded doens't affect anything on my machine...

Basically, I just need to save for an nVidia equipped machine... that's all there is to it!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    HIding hair works. Going to smooth shaded doens't affect anything on my machine...

Basically, I just need to save for an nVidia equipped machine... that's all there is to it!

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I do use nVidia, but I didn't realize that was a contributing factor.
    edited December 1969

I HATE YOU! :P

JK... but I am green with envy