Is anyone using. cbr files in Carrara 6 pro

Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
edited November 2012 in Carrara Discussion

I've tried over and over, but I can't get. Cbr files to do anything in 6 pro.
if I try to save a color for a shader and reload nothing happens. I,'ve tried closing the shadier
and reopening , moving to a new spot in the timeline. If I try it with a camera position
The camera moves but doesn't t create a keyframe. Then it crashes.
at this point I can only assume it doesn't work in 6 pro. This happens on both my computers.
An i7 with win7 pro, and my xp machine with intel core duo.
thanks

Post edited by Box8068_31c338ee4b on

Comments

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

A .cbr is a shader file you need to apply it to something. You drag it from the carrara browser and drop it on the multishader domain for the object, in the shader room. They can't really be opened all on their own.

If that doesn't work the cbr may be for a newer build of carrara.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

I'm confused then. In carrara 6 there is the little " floppy" file save option, and " folder " file open option
    In the color wheel box. It also exists in the animation keyframe motion box.
    if I place an object in one location save it, move it then load the keyframe.cbr the object
    Will jump back. Only problem is it doesn't create a new keyframe and carrara crashes.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI 8068 :)
    A CBR should be able to save the colour, or the camera position,..

I just had a quick look, and that seems to be broken, or,.. not functioning as expected (as far as saving and loading colours in concerned)
    If i choose a colour in the picker, then click the icon and save it as a name, then change the colour in the picker,. then reload my saved colour,. there's no change. the colour remains the colour I picked, and not the colour I saved.

Saving a camera position using this method is pointless, the camera position isn't being saved, and bizarrely the (distance to near plane) seems to be the only setting which is changed, and it's changed wrongly,.. it is different from the setting that was saved.

Depending on what you're trying to do,. you may be better to save an animated shader , or animated camera by dragging it to the browser.

Since C7 was given away on a bunch of magazine cover disks, there's fewer people using C6. and no way that any new issues found in C6 are going to be fixed.

• Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

3Dage
    Thanks for checking this out. I really appreciate it. This will save me time and frustration trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.
    You know how software can be, do something a little wrong and it won't work.
    I didn't know 7 was a givaway. Except for this feature 6 pro is working great for me. I'm in the middle of a huge project and really reluctant
    to switch versions now. I saw recently that there is a a great deal on 8 in the platinum club.

Do you know if you can have two versions installed simultaneously with out issues? Will work done in 6 open in 8?
    Again thanks, I can now move on and get back to work :)

edited December 1969

HI :)

No problem,. I'm actually surprised I didn't notice this before now,.. I guess It shows how often I use that function. :)

As for Multiple version,. yes, no issues,..

I have C6, C7, C8 and the 8.5 beta all installed.

I also have the 64 bit version and the 32 bit version of C8 installed,. and again, no conflicts,. plus,.. depending on what I'm doing, I can have two or more versions open and running at the same time. EG: modelling or animating in one, while rendering in another.

By default, .. Each program version is installed to a new folder,. while updates to a version are installed into that versions existing folder.

The only version which caused issues was the first beta of C8.5 which shared the same Preferences file with C8. and that caused a mess in the C8 runtime name display,.. that issue was fixed by giving the 8.5 beta a different preferences file,. so, It's no longer an issue.

:)

edited December 1969

The only thing I have ever used it for was shaders, didn't know cbr was anything but shaders.

edited December 1969

HI Stan :)

Yep. you can save things like Realistic sky's, backgrounds, backdrops,. and a lot's of other settings as CBR,.

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Stan :)

Yep. you can save things like Realistic sky's, backgrounds, backdrops,. and a lot's of other settings as CBR,.

Ahh but apparent you can't ;)