OT: Goodby, Larry Hagman

ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
edited December 1969 in The Commons

AKA J.R. Ewing, or Major Anthony Nelson for you I Dream Of Jeannie fans.

Complications from throat cancer.

Farewell, sir, you were a magnificent villain!

http://news.yahoo.com/larry-hagman-dead-81-portrayed-notorious-tv-villain-044041015.html

Comments

• waningmoonwaningmoon Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

stetsons off to a good tv actor with a long career.

regards,
    waningmoon

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Who is J.R. Ewing anyway? :D

He'll always be Tony Nelson to me.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

He was a tv icon twice over. I had a huge crush on him when I was about 6 and wanted to grow up and be Jeannie.

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Sad news indeed, has anyone watched the new Dallas at all, I saw some of the first episode, but it didn't really grab me like the original.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Aww that's very sad news. I remember him from Dallas and repeats of I dream of Jeannie.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

We keep losing icons. The years seem to be getting worse when it comes to public figures leaving us. It must be the age catching up to me.

I never watched "Dallas" as I didn't care about prime time soap operas, but "I Dream of Jeannie", who wouldn't want to be Tony Nelson. He was a pilot and an astronaut for NASA who had the sexiest dressed woman on the planet to grant him any wish he wanted. As a young boy who couldn't take my eyes off of Barbara Eden prancing around, I certainly enjoyed watching her screw up Tony and Rogers life. That may be the point in my life where I came to like skimp wear.

Do we have a Jeannie Outfit and a Barbara Eden look alike?

Farewell Larry!

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There's the Harem Dander for V3.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757
    edited December 1969

I was fortunate enough to share a tour of conventions in Australia with Larry, and he was a truly kind and amazing man, with a wicked sense of humor. What many don't know is that he was also a gifted director, and my favorite work of his was an incredibly strange and hilarious bit of black comedy called Beware! The Blob! (aka Son of The Blob,) which he confirmed was made simply because the producer of the original Blob was his next door neighbor and Larry had a lot of friends who needed work who ALSO happened to be neighbors. How else to explain a movie that had a very young Cindy Williams as a pothead, Dick Van Patten as an overly effeminate scoutmaster, Burgess Meridith and Larry as hobos, Gerrit Grahmn in a gorilla suit and Shelly Berman as an eccentric barber who's decided that rather than cutting hair, he's going to sculpt it?

edited December 1969

I was fortunate enough to share a tour of conventions in Australia with Larry, and he was a truly kind and amazing man, with a wicked sense of humor. What many don't know is that he was also a gifted director, and my favorite work of his was an incredibly strange and hilarious bit of black comedy called Beware! The Blob! (aka Son of The Blob,) which he confirmed was made simply because the producer of the original Blob was his next door neighbor and Larry had a lot of friends who needed work who ALSO happened to be neighbors. How else to explain a movie that had a very young Cindy Williams as a pothead, Dick Van Patten as an overly effeminate scoutmaster, Burgess Meridith and Larry as hobos, Gerrit Grahmn in a gorilla suit and Shelly Berman as an eccentric barber who's decided that rather than cutting hair, he's going to sculpt it?

That was interesting. Thanks for sharing Cybersox.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Sad news indeed, has anyone watched the new Dallas at all, I saw some of the first episode, but it didn't really grab me like the original.

I saw this in today's NY Times and was saddened. I remember him from I Dream of Genie (man I'm dating myself), but loved him in the original Dallas. I saw some of the episodes of the new Dallas remake, and except for the familiar faces I enjoyed seeing, it didn't grab me like the original either.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    He was a tv icon twice over. I had a huge crush on him when I was about 6 and wanted to grow up and be Jeannie.

Me too! :P

R.I.P. Larry! You are amazing!

edited November 2012

Post removed by me, it may have been too inappropriate. I apologize if I offended anyone.

(This was all in good fun, I hope it is taken as such)

Post edited by ledhead on