lock a pin? want to keep a body part still, no constantly changing its pin

TorkudaTorkuda Posts: 148
edited August 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

I heard in one of the DAZ tutorials that you can "lock" a pin. How?

Post edited by Torkuda on

Comments

• TorkudaTorkuda Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

maybe there's a way to parent a body part to an object?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,837
    edited December 1969

Pinning and locking are the same thing, and if the figure is moved too far wil fail. No, you can't parent a part to a prop.

edited December 1969

The pins move if you even nudge the figure oh so slightly. Say you tell the hip of an object to move manually, there they all go. If you so much as tell ONE hand to move it's origin to a place that is actually in range to keep the opposite hand pinned, the opposite will still lose it's pin. I'm sorry, but it's starting to feel like the rigging system might as well not even exist. Is that seriously all there is to try to keep an appendage e in place? What was so wrong with normal inverse kenimatics?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay this might be your trouble. The Pin's on the IK Ball only lock the IK not the X,Y,Z position. To PIN a part in place you need to PIN the bone. Pick the Bone tool from your tools and then pick the part you wish to PIN on the figure. Once the figure part is selected hit the Spacebar. You now have a Bone Pin. You now use the Bone tool to do all your moving of the figure. Once you change your tool the Bone pin is off.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Jaderlail , it is great,,, I had never used this tool for posing,,

becaues there are so many option, and I can not understand clearly how to use it.
    now I try it, click "space" yes it can pin bone perfectly . and I can move another bone.

I actually thought same thing Torkuda said.
    when I pin transration and rotation, by pose tool, (three color circle)
    the node never keep position. yes they move, if I move another bone.

but as you say,, bone tool is great for me. it works perfectly.

So I think "bone tool" means "Active pose" tools ^^;?

edited August 2012

Barely functional. The second you try to rotate something, even with active pose still engaged, the pins move unless you are manipulating the figure directly.

Post edited by Torkuda on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited August 2012

That's because ActivePose is meant to be used on Translations (only) and IK is for rotations (only).

Post edited by ReDave on
    edited December 1969

No, IK will work with translations - try pinning the feet or hands and lowering the hip

edited December 1969

You can translate the position just fine, so long as you grab the pieces of the model directly. However if you try for any thing specific with the rotation dials, you can forget it, as far as the dials are concerned the bone pins don't exist.

Why is it every time I try to use Studio over Carrara, Carrara comes out looking like the old rusty ten speed and Studio like a bike with training wheels, flashing lights, a bell, a basket on back, twenty speeds but oh... someone forgot the front wheel? This isn't something unimaginable, it's a straight forward part of animation and posing.

• I love Daz but I'm with Torkuda on this one. I'm using 4.9 pro and the dials under the parameters tab ignore rotation and translation pins. If I'm trying to make a small adjustment, I use the numbers to the right of the sliders in the parameters tab. The direct grab tool is clumsy by comparison. I get the bone tool work around mentioned by Jaderail but should you have to? Can't we just fix what's broken or not written in the code?

This post is from 2012. It's 2016 and this is still an issue. Maybe this would be a good thing to fix in the  Daz 5.0 release. 

edited October 2016

The pins never work, which would be a bug (and new), or the pins aren't as rigid as you'd like, which isn't a bug per se?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

I can not stop myself to join this topic again laugh    even though I stop it,, some new user must find it easy,, untill daz  improve "pin"

And  it is funny,, before at least active pose tool worked for the purpose. but at current about genesis3 , it have  broken , long time.

you can  see, geensis3 can not keep pinned foot, when you move another foot above,,. but genesis2 can keep pinned foot position. 

then ofcourse ,, usuall pins and pose not improved..  

So that genesis3 is actually has degenerated about posing.  or she can not dance well. or she can not kick well. 

genesis3.PNG
    1126 x 779 - 258K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

This is a good vid tut; if I forget the specifics, I give it a quick watch.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited November 2016

Sorry Jaderail,

Jaderail said:

To PIN a part in place you need to PIN the bone. Pick the Bone tool from your tools and then pick the part you wish to PIN on the figure.

what tool you're talking about (under the Tools menu)? Joint Editor, Node Selection, ActivePose, ... ?

Post edited by AndyS on
  • Active Pose, I think, which has a bone on its icon.

But I say, not expect too much.  the pin is more made well than Usuall poze pin.  before I sometimes recommend it,, but I had seen, manycase,

serious user complain again about cases it not work well you expected.. if you use this tool for animation, then adjust pose with keeping pin,

you often  see "sliding" or "shaking" the node which, you set active pose pin,,   between key and key.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Thank you.

I just was irritated, not being able to find the tool named in that post.

OK, it doesn't work 100%, but it is helpful. A longer time ago I had a scene where a character should have hands and feet in the same position, while only hip/pelvis should be moved for the next scene.

• Well, it's 2019, and this is still a major problem.

If you do incremental renders, like comics/story pages, making slight changes in a pose where you want one body part to stay put, well, this is a colossal failure. I've used Poser for 15 years, and turning on IK for a body part worked almost flawlessly. Daz can't seem to figure it out. Very frustrating.

• Steel Rat said:

Well, it's 2019, and this is still a major problem.

If you do incremental renders, like comics/story pages, making slight changes in a pose where you want one body part to stay put, well, this is a colossal failure. I've used Poser for 15 years, and turning on IK for a body part worked almost flawlessly. Daz can't seem to figure it out. Very frustrating.

Did you try the latest Public Build, for DS 4.12.x.x, with enhanced IK and animation features before necro-posting?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    Steel Rat said:

Did you try the latest Public Build, for DS 4.12.x.x, with enhanced IK and animation features before necro-posting?

@Richard - is there anywhere where the new animation and IK facilities are explained? I posted in the Commons about this yesterday as it is featured on the release and yet I can find no information about it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,151
    PhilW said:
    Steel Rat said:

@Richard - is there anywhere where the new animation and IK facilities are explained? I posted in the Commons about this yesterday as it is featured on the release and yet I can find no information about it.

I'd like to know, too. It looks pretty daunting and I have no idea where to start. Some video tutorials that Daz does so well would really be helpful.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

Pinning and locking are the same thing, and if the figure is moved too far wil fail. No, you can't parent a part to a prop.

I thought you can parent a prop to a body part. like a arm or hand figure etc.  & I have on many occasions parented the pelvis to a automobile seat. or the hands to a steering wheel for animation use

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited September 2019
    PhilW said:
    Steel Rat said:

I could not agree more. I second your request for documents  Ive been using The Maya LT IK/FK rigging tutorials and applying that to daz ik-chain solution with some success mostly just to figure out what is and how to use it   . I've learned by trial and error how to parent and un-parent the ikchain to a character figure to prop during a animation cycle so it will grasp and release props during the animation cycle so you don;t have to do cuts scenes . 

but i am still trying to learn how it works myself. Daz Ik-chain has proved not a good solution for hard surface pinning for keeping a characters feet from dipping below hard surfaces  Mostly because you have to pin and unpin every keyframe to the hard surface along the timeline where the feet make contact and that gets old fast when you havea  long running cycle .  so yea I agree some documents or information on using the new improvements would be great

Post edited by Ivy on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Me too looking for docs. Also because I do believe that 4.12 is a great step forward for animation. Though I understand that DAZ has limited resources, it would be nice to document new features when they are released.

• Ivy said:

I thought you can parent a prop to a body part. like a arm or hand figure etc.  & I have on many occasions parented the pelvis to a automobile seat. or the hands to a steering wheel for animation use

You can now parent an IK target to a prop, or part of another body - you never have been able to parent a bone to something else, items have always been able to have only one parent (which for a bone is the next bone up the hierarchy or the figure itself).