Made any money with your enders?

MarchosiusMarchosius Posts: 69
edited November 2012 in The Commons

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone have made some money with their render?

If you have, what tips do you have for me?

Post edited by Marchosius on

Comments

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited November 2012

You need to have the right licence for that one. A licence right that I'm not too sure how many people who actually tread the forums here actually have.

I would be very much interested in hearing these tips myself for possible future reference.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You don't need a licence to sell renders, that is what the EULA says.

Renders and Animations are OK to sell on, but you cannot give away the underlying mesh (like in a game), without a Game Developers Licence. If you are using freebies, always check the Readme to see if it allows commercial renders.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Agree with Jimmy.

There are people who do make money with their renders. One member here regularly does book covers.

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited December 1969

I make my living from doing renders. I do story illustrations, book covers, posters, concept art..and whatever.
    You do not need a license to sell the art that you create with your renders..You just cannot sell the content that you use to create your renders.

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

Hi Guys,

For me it just sort of happens.

I do a lot of Photoshop stuff (that usually includes a render as the base) away from my day job. People see it, buy it or tell other people who then buy it.

Other cases have been when a company contacts me and wants to use something I've done. Those tend to be the most lucrative. Doesn't pay as much as my day job but at least it offsets my overtime pay of my day job ($50 an hour).

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Hi Guys,

I make money, but it is VERY hard (at least for me).
    I'm not a salesman, so I have always had problems moving things.
    I get a lot of oohs and ahhs from random broke people who want me to work for them.
    I can barely get in front of a decision maker with money to even get them to LOOK at the stuff.
    If you can get in with an agency or get someone to go out and knock on doors, it will really help you.
    Best of luck!
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684
    edited November 2012

I think that the mix-up comes from game use.
    You need a licence to use DAZ in games, a game-licence.

About selling your renders, I could tell you a long story about marketing and such, but it all boils down to investing time and money in stuff like a portofolio website.
    Make yourself known on popular sites such as DA, Facebook and Twitter.
    Living from art though is hard, very hard work but not impossible!

Go to conventions or other gatherings, where you can rent a table and sell/advertise if the theme fits your work.
    I also found art colaborations a good way to advertise yourself.
    Good luck!

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    I think that the mix-up comes from game use.
    You need a licence to use DAZ in games, a game-licence.

Even then, only if the game will include 3D data - if it's just going to use rendered 2D sprites then the basic license will cover the use.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

I did a couple of images for a guy who was writing a book about space travel. He'd seen my stuff online, and mailed me to ask if I'd be willing to create some illustrations for his book.

My client was happy with the images I turned in, paid promptly, and generously paid more than the sum originally agreed, so it was a very positive experience overall. That said, if looked at in business terms - i.e. time spent vs. amount earned - I probably just about made minimum wage. :) Luckily, I was doing it mostly for the fun of it, so the money came as a nice bonus.

If you want to make money from your renders, a useful first step may be to set up an online portfolio of your very best work, and work at making sure that it can be found by people who might be interested in hiring you, or buying prints, or whatever. After that, the key to success is either (a) being so good that you can command very high rates per piece, and/or (b) having your workflow and technique optimized so that you can turn out new work to order very quickly and efficiently.

I'm not sure where the best place to pitch your skills would be. One thing that occurs to me is that there are an awful lot of people self-publishing ebooks these days. If you could do book covers that would help their work stand out, you might be in a position to make a lot of small sales.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,322
    edited November 2012

There's a page on the DAZ site here dedicated to User Stories. There's some great examples of exceptional renders making it out in the world.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/explore/user-stories/explore-sam-kennedy/

The best possible tip, is create art that stands out. Hone your craft and artistry.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

There's a page on the DAZ site here dedicated to User Stories. There's some great examples of exceptional renders making it out in the world.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/explore/user-stories/explore-sam-kennedy/

The best possible tip, is create art that stands out. Hone your craft and artistry.

WoW That was some fantastic work. Thanks for linking that (surprised i never noticed that users story thing before)

(crawls off and sobs uncontrollably in the corner somewhere lol )

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

This year I combined some renders with photographs and sold them as cards and calendars. Mostly it's pin money but I'm retired and always appreciative of a little cash. I think that as with any kind of art, you need to work hard. Often artists aren't that strong in marketing and the best advice I ever got in a seminar was "Don't give up your day job." Although I admire those who make a living doing any kind of art, I worry that it would become "work" rather than joy.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i'se waiting patiently for the dough to come rolling in from zazzle, followed closely by the saints marching band.

tee hee, render a ball of dough

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Dunno about "Enders" But there are plenty of commissions around for renders. Skiriki does a lot of 3d render commissions, and she's very good at it I might add :)

• blondie9999blondie9999 Posts: 771
    edited December 1969

i'se waiting patiently for the dough to come rolling in from zazzle, followed closely by the saints marching band.

Ha-ha, I hope you're not holding your breath!

Selling stuff on sites like Zazzle and Cafe Press is extremely difficult; there are so many "stores" there that no one will ever even find your stuff unless you publicize it somehow yourself. Otherwise it just gets lost in the quagmire.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Ha-ha, I hope you're not holding your breath!

Selling stuff on sites like Zazzle and Cafe Press is extremely difficult; there are so many "stores" there that no one will ever even find your stuff unless you publicize it somehow yourself. Otherwise it just gets lost in the quagmire.

doh

2 days now and not a sales. it's a hard heart to resist a kitteh girl render on a mug or a tentacle render on a beer stein, lol

they have a rated r rating. maybe will do better with naked vicky temple renders, on mouse pads. :)