What's up with downloading?

ManStanManStan Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

This is turning in to a consistent aggravation. It take 6 and 8 trys to get anything downloaded. The weird download starts, in a few seconds it stops and tells me it's done. Not even close, just a bad file to delete.
This is the one and only place that has this weird streaming downloads and the one and only place I have issues downloading.

Just real aggravated that something as simply as a download turns in to an all day battle with DAZ. I consistently have this same issue, and only with DAZ; for those that are quick to say "it's you", The DAZ site is the one and only site i have this issue with. So it is not me or my machine, if it was I would have the same issue on other sites.

So basically this gripe is a question, is there any way for DAZ to go back to the old fashion, never had a problem downloading system DAZ used to have?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Stan, we have had this discussion before.

I am in one of the worst areas for broadband speed in this country. I have just this minute purchased and donwloaded a 52.2 mb file, in just over 4 minutes.

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

I just finished downloading six files. All went well, first one already installed.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

I just keep losing the download before it's done. Not a band width issue. When it works I can download studio in just a couple to a few minutes, when it works. It is nether a connection nor a band width issue, it's this weird steaming download thing that doesn't work more often then does; at least for me..

And discussing the issue before hasn't solved it, it's still an issue and I'm still griping about it.

Edit to add: took 5 trys to get the studio beta downloaded, when it worked I had it in less then 4 minutes.

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

I am sorry I don't understand what you mean by a streaming download.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Actually, I sympathise as I've experienced this issue myself. I used Google Chrome for my browser and unlike "normal" downloads, it won't display the final size of the downloading file (eg, 1.2mb of 26.5mb) and occasionally cuts out half way through downloading. It took me a few retries to download much of the content I've purchased over the last couple of days (notably Victoria 5 and Sadie and Sam for Genesis) but did eventually succeed.

The only thing I can suggest to the OP is try try again. Though doubtless it's of little comfort at the moment.

edited December 1969

It's been going on for me since DAZ switched to the new downloading method. I'm on Firefox; yes the latest, for every other site I download from I get a nice filling bar, and info on the size of the download and how fast it is downloading. For DAZ I get none of this, just a green bar sweeping across, no size of download or how much completed. And quite often it will popup and tell me the download is done, when it is far from complete.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Yes, the lack of a total size is a DAZ issue (though I do get a report of speed and of amount downloaded in Firefox). However, the cutting off does not seem to be a widespread issue which does suggest it's at least in part something local or en route to those affected.

edited December 1969

Sorry Richard, but this is the same comp, same set up, same ISP I had before DAZ changed over it's download method, I had no issues till then and have no issues from any other site. The only thing that has changed for me is DAZ's method of downloading.
    The DAZ site is the only site I have downloads with this method and the only site I have downloading issues with. So from my prospective the method is at fault.

edited December 1969

Daz hasn't changed their download method, they have changed their Software.

I have just donwloaded a 442 mb files from DAZ 3D, it took around 40 mins, and the DL speed was pretty stable all the way through, only fluctuating slightly, and as I have said I have a very bad broadband connection where I live.

I wouldn't normally have attempted to DL this file at this point in time, I normally download the larger files in the morning, UK times, when the US is mostly asleep and there is not so much demand on the servers, but I decided to download it now, just to see what would happen.

• FURBFURB Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

4 hours to download Skies of Economy.... and that was just the Carrara file.
    About an hour for Country Lane 2.
    Went to Rosity and grabbed a couple of characters for V4, posses and props. All downloaded in a couple of minutes and about the same size of Skies.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I have to say that the download speeds have been very sluggish for the past 2 months. Before we switched from the PA sale to the PC sale it was fine, but has been terrible since that switch and actually seems to be getting worse. Before that switch I would typically get from 1.2 to 2.0 mb/sec. Since then the range has been 150 to 700 kb/sec. There definitely has been a change somewhere as my speeds from other sites seem to be the same as they have always been. I wish I was getting the speeds as before, but I can deal with what I am getting now. i just do something else for a couple of minutes while it downloads. Not complaining, just my two cents.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,512
    edited December 1969

i just reset a couple of files and d/led them in under 4 minutes with the latest firefox and no issues. I doubt this is on the DAZ end of things, hope you get it sorted.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,038
    edited November 2012

Close your torrents when you're downloading:)On a serious note, I have no issues downloading from Daz.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

My download times used to be less than a minute for smaller sized files and some just a few seconds, now they take several minutes.
    Saying that something downloaded in say 4 minutes doesn't really mean anything unless the size of the file is given.
    If the file was 100mb in size and took 240 seconds then the download speed averaged 417 kb/sec which is slow for me compared to what it used to be. If I was getting the average speed I was before, say 1.6 mb/sec then it would only take 63 seconds for that size of a file.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,031
    edited December 1969

Just got back from Starbucks, my wifi of choice, and did the Skies of Economy files at between 140 and 150 KB/second with no issues. (This is pretty much the max - it means I got just about ALL the T1 for my downloads).

I don't know what you're running into - but I can guarantee I'm not seeing it.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    Just got back from Starbucks, my wifi of choice, and did the Skies of Economy files at between 140 and 150 KB/second with no issues. (This is pretty much the max - it means I got just about ALL the T1 for my downloads).

150 KB/second? You think that's fast? As others have mentioned, before this latest big sale, I was getting downloads at 1.1 MB/second. I was very impressed, as with the old site it would range from 300 KB/second to 750 KB/second, with an average of 600 KB/second. Now it seems to range about 150 KB/second to 250 KB/second. That's less than half the speed I used to get on the old site. And speeds are fairly consistent with historic values on all other sites I download from.

I don't know if it's the servers, the replication along the way (like the cache servers they use), or maybe a regional thing with the various hubs and connections on the Internet along the way, but something's up.

Dana

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,031
    edited November 2012

DanaTA said:
    namffuak said:

150 KB/second? You think that's fast? As others have mentioned, before this latest big sale, I was getting downloads at 1.1 MB/second. I was very impressed, as with the old site it would range from 300 KB/second to 750 KB/second, with an average of 600 KB/second. Now it seems to range about 150 KB/second to 250 KB/second. That's less than half the speed I used to get on the old site. And speeds are fairly consistent with historic values on all other sites I download from.

I don't know if it's the servers, the replication along the way (like the cache servers they use), or maybe a regional thing with the various hubs and connections on the Internet along the way, but something's up.

Dana

Well, compared to my normal dialup at 5.6 KB/sec, it's wicked fast. :P The key point, in respect Stan's complaint, is that these downloads all run to 12 or more minutes for me. And I am NOT getting disconnects. And, like I say, I'm pretty well maxing out the T1 feeding the place, when you consider that there were 2 iPads, several smartphones, and four other laptop users on site at the time.

If I ever find a wifi hotspot in this area running a T3 or better, I'm moving in! :-)

ETA: Based on past experience in network tuning, my first gut reaction is that something is forcing a smaller packet size; that can screw up throughput something fierce. Another possibility is congestion and packet drop/retransmit. If it were my network, I'd be looking at packet size.

Post edited by namffuak on
    edited December 1969

Yes, as I said, I got a fairly constant speed of about 189-190 kbs, which is also about the highest I ever get up here, and I am in the UK,

My area has been flagged up as being one of the worst areas for broadband in the country, less than 1mb normally and frequently half that for broadband speed overall.

edited November 2012

So it seems those who typically have slower download speeds are actually having better luck than those who typically have exceptionally fast download speeds. Well I'm happy for you guys who are enjoying what you consider fast download times and as I said it doesn't really bother me that much that is it slower than it should be for me, I just do something else while they download, but don't get me wrong, I would rather have the speed I am used to, up to 2 mb/sec. There are some sites where I experience speeds much faster than that, but rare.

BTW thank you Dana for giving me a hand on this.

Post edited by ledhead on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Sorry Richard, but this is the same comp, same set up, same ISP I had before DAZ changed over it's download method, I had no issues till then and have no issues from any other site. The only thing that has changed for me is DAZ's method of downloading.
    The DAZ site is the only site I have downloads with this method and the only site I have downloading issues with. So from my prospective the method is at fault.

I'm not trying to deny that a change at DAZ may have triggered your issue - I'm merely saying that it isn't affecting all users, even with similar setups, and therefore there is likely to be something at your end or on the journey to you that is at the root of the problem and the new site is exposing it.

Speed isn't the main issue here - it's downloads failing to complete - but I am still using the full bandwidth of my connection for DAZ downloads most of the time, hovering around 800KB/s.

edited December 1969

This new site is known for affecting some members while others have no problems. This seems to be the case with downloading as well.

edited December 1969

[
    I'm not trying to deny that a change at DAZ may have triggered your issue - I'm merely saying that it isn't affecting all users, even with similar setups, and therefore there is likely to be something at your end or on the journey to you that is at the root of the problem and the new site is exposing it.

Speed isn't the main issue here - it's downloads failing to complete - but I am still using the full bandwidth of my connection for DAZ downloads most of the time, hovering around 800KB/s.

And that is it. I didn't have problems downloading from DAZ till DAZ went to this new system some months back. And if it is my ISP/DSL set up there is nothing I can do about that. But it doesn't effect any other site. My DSL runs at about 5-6Mbps, I recently downloaded a 800meg update to my racing game with out a hitch. I can download massive files from other sites with out a problem. So this issue is specific to DAZ.

The genesis essentials file is a relatively small download; that was the previous version some weeks back. Once I managed to get it downloaded it only took a few minute, but it still took 9 trys to get. The download would ether just stop, or I would get the download is done popup and an incomplete file. Yesterday it took 5 trys to get the studio beta downloaded, got the updated genesis essentials on the first try and in just a couple of minutes.

The good thing is I'm not downloading from DAZ much so I only have to tolerate this PITA once and a while. Doesn't make each time any less aggravating though.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,275
    edited December 1969

ManStan do you have a laptop and a nearby WiFi Hotspot - if you could go there and try a download and see how stable that is you have ruled out/in if your ISP/DSL has any effect on the problem. The routing to your area might be in play, and Daz's servers, but you have narrowed down the fault a bit. Next step would be take the laptop away for a weekend to rule out the area...

I'm one of the ones who is generally finding downloading more stable since the move, on my 165kb/sec line (wow I'm fast ;-)) I have been known to take my netbook into work and download big files on the spare ADSL line there which can download from some sites at 300kb/sec but consistently gets about 165kb/sec on Daz. I do wonder if the browser continuingly polling the server to get the file size isn't an issue too, one blip on the connection and it thinks it has a complete file, if Daz fixed that that might help all of us know if the file is complete.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,707
    edited November 2012

ManStan said:
    This is turning in to a consistent aggravation. It take 6 and 8 trys to get anything downloaded. The weird download starts, in a few seconds it stops and tells me it's done. Not even close, just a bad file to delete.
    This is the one and only place that has this weird streaming downloads and the one and only place I have issues downloading.

I just downloaded 36 files with no problems at all, so I don't think it's a DAZ problem. In fact it's very rare I have any download problems at all, and I do a lot of download testing. In one test I did I downloaded for 8 hours in one go on a high speed connection, not a single problem or drop out.

It was bad in the start when the new store had just been implemented, but now it seems to work fine.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,707
    edited December 1969

FURB said:
    4 hours to download Skies of Economy.... and that was just the Carrara file.
    About an hour for Country Lane 2.
    Went to Rosity and grabbed a couple of characters for V4, posses and props. All downloaded in a couple of minutes and about the same size of Skies.

Strange. I usually get about 1 MB/s in average from DAZ, but never more than 400 KB/s from Rendo.

edited November 2012

Hey look, everyone coming on and telling me how well they can download from DAZ fixed my problem. Yup, not freaking going to say another word about it, hows that for a solution?

No reason to complain about anything here, sure enough a dozen people are going to come on and tell you how wrong you are.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Well, it's somewhat comforting at least to know it's not a widespread problem though it does make me wonder what makes our downloads so unique in their failure. The difference is with Google Chrome it will actually tell me that the download has failed "Network Error" is the message I get. Sure enough, some of the purchases I made not five minutes ago are failing too.

If Mozilla is claiming the downloads are finished, it might be worth using Chrome to download them, as at least you'll know in advance that the file needs downloading again.

Download_Errors.PNG
    425 x 46 - 7K
  • jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

While not rampant, I too have received bad downloads but on my end they do download relatively fast. Not many but then again I haven't bought much in a while.

It occurred in Firefox 17.0 (including prior versions) and IE 9.08 (not sure about prior, hardly use IE).

I have hashed out the bad download versus the good one I finally received and....obviously they didn't match up.

This has only happened since the new site went live. I imagine there are some bad packet loss going on or some other nefarious network issue causing the end user's computer to get a bad download.

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited November 2012

Just to add, I would be interested to know if the content providing servers are using CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) in the delivery of these files. Unlike a single jpeg file and such, a simple flipped bit could cause havoc on an installer.

EDIT> This feels like an AA meeting, more like an DA (Download Anonymous) meeting. "I'm Jmper and I too have a downloading issue."

Post edited by jmper on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I just noticed, for the second time in the past few days, that my speed was as slow as around 200kb/second, where I usually get 1mb/second. I haven't, however, run into any files that stopped downloading before it was completed.

That said, I just assumed it was a busy pipeline with everyone buying and downloading a bunch of sale items.