• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

The (Very short) Life of Pi

Blip.tv

It was very cute. well done.

though the blip.tv ad was longer than your film. :D

• jcalderjcalder Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Details please on how you did this. Daz Studio or Carrara or something else or mix? Excellent water - how do you do that?

• LechnologyLechnology Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

Ivy said:

though the blip.tv ad was longer than your film. :D
    Teehee. It can't be helped.

Details please on how you did this. Daz Studio or Carrara or something else or mix? Excellent water - how do you do that?

Animation done in Carrara. Model tweaking done in Blender. Carrara just does not have the interface for precision work in Model mode.

The boat and its occupants were animated off camera. They were then attached to a surface replicator which was then assigned to an Ocean object. Setting the number of objects to one in the Surface replicator setting, I shuffled it until the boat, et al appear close to the middle of the Ocean Object where the camera is set up.

The Ocean the surface replicator is assigned to is set to the lowest resolution 32x32. Its visibility was then turned off and a duplicate was made with the resolution set to the highest 1024x1024. That duplicate is what you see on screen. Both have Waves follow the Wind turned on.

The reason for having an invisible low res ocean and visible high res ocean is due to the surface replicator. The boat attached to the surface replicator appear on the ocean perpendicular to the spot where the boat is. If it's a 45 degree slope, the boat would be at 45 degrees. If it's a flat area, the boat would be flat. The high res ocean was more detailed and had sharper waves compared to the low res, which was smoother. On the high res ocean, the boat would have yawed, pitched, and rolled at extreme angles very rapidly. At low res, as you see in the video, the boat yawed, pitched and rolled more smoothly.

The other detail is that this was rendered at 60 fps and then time stretched by about 300%--around 24 fps--because at normal speed, the ocean ripples moved way too fast and at least with Carrara 8 pro, there's no speed control.

Post edited by Lechnology on
    edited December 1969

YouTube HD now available.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179
    edited December 1969

Good work, nicely polished.

Does "Blip TV" have advantages vs., say YouTube?

edited December 1969

YouTube is mainstream so you get both the good stuff (collegehumor, sourcefed, FineBros, cat videos) and the bad stuff (reply girls, bloggers, other junk). Blip.tv is for series-type content. It doesn't have to be episodic, but a series none the less. I'm using Blip.tv because I got invalid clicks from my YouTube Partnership, so no revenue from YouTube.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179
    edited December 1969

OK, thanks. I haven't had much trouble with YouTube, but my stuff is pretty low profile. No revenue involved, etc. My stuff is not series oriented, yet anyway. But I'll keep Blip in mind.