Help with finding content

Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
edited November 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

In a previous thread I mentioned I was till fairly new to Daz studio, so there's a lot for me to digest as I'm moving from Poser. One of the stumbling blocks I'm finding at the moment is how certain items can be there one minute and gone the next. As a previous poser user, I'm used to having one content library and navigating around, which is still present in Daz. Still the convenience of the Smart content window was not lost on me during my migration, and I'd like to get good mileage out of it.

So far I've managed to figure out the majority seems context sensitive. I click on Pose & Animate, and I'm presented with poses and shaping tools, and under actors I naturally find character models, outfits and props. However, there are still times I'm left scratching my head and wondering why I can't find various items I've installed despite having seen them in the lists before.

The latest case-in-point are the UberSurface2 shaders. Note that I can find them perfectly in the content library, but not under smart content where it had been previously. I had them listed under Surfaces at one point, but then it mysteriously vanished and I've not been able to locate it since aside from using the Content Library window.

While I don't mind using the Content Library to install things, it's still rather baffling and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on why it might be hiding previously visible things from view.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on

Comments

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I had noticed with the last update 12700_UberSurface2DS4_1.3_ds the location, in the Surfaces Pane in Preset mode, changed positions appearing in Presets > Shader in DS4.5.1.6

UberSurface2.jpeg
    340 x 600 - 63K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Szark, yes I did notice that it was under Shaders but as you'll see from the following images, it's simply not visible on my smart content tab. Once it's been loaded from the Content Library it seems to make itself visible however (Far right on the image to illustrate).

Is it possible the metadata didn't install correctly?

No_Shaders.PNG
    1650 x 885 - 448K
    edited December 1969

Have you tried Resetting the Metadata? If not and you don't know how when I have finished my evening meal I will pop back and post some screencaps showing how.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you mean by a reset, but I re-imported the metadata and it had no effect. I still need to load in UberSurface2 from the content library before it becomes visible in the smart content pane. Quite perplexing.

edited December 1969

re-importing is essentaily resetting the information sorry for the confusion.

The only other thing I can suggest is "Resetting the Database" and then "Re-importing the Metadata" which might work. Not sure how it effects Categories as I don't use them now.

The reason why I can't say what will fix it is two fold. One I never have any issues with content and two I haven't come across this before.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited December 1969

Thx cridgit not using Categories I didn't know if it would have an effect hence why I mentioned it. :) Now I know cheers for that.

But can't we now save the User Data before resetting the database, if effect backing up the Categories?

edited December 1969

While we're on the subject of finding things, I'm quite confused by UberEnvironment2 which is apparently built into Daz 4.5 yet for some reason doesn't appear anywhere in my smart content, nor content library. The options for lighting are quite basic at the moment, and there seems to be no option to use shaders of any description.

There's been a lot of stumbling around in the dark so far, but most of it I've found on my own. Google has sadly yielded little results other than to redirect me to a few videos which run down the basic light functions and another which shows the UberEnvironment2 appearing under the smart content list.