Why won't Bryce 6.1 stay open?

tenorlordtenorlord Posts: 7
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I bought Bryce 6 two years ago, and now it crashes every time I try to do even the simplest things.

I tried downloading Bryce 7, but the situation has not improved.
It asks for a name and serial number, but gives no indication of where they can be found.
I tried using the one from Bryce 6, but it wouldn't accept it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK a few questions

Are you using a PC or a Mac, and what OS (or OS X)

Did you use the direct download link to get Bryce 7, or did you "purchase" it through the store. If you used the direct link then try purchasing through the store. You will not need to re download, but it should then give you a serial number in your account here. It is stll 100% discount, but puts the donwload into your order history.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/software/bryce/bryce-7-pro

• tenorlordtenorlord Posts: 7
    edited November 2012

OSX 10.7.5 (Lion)

Went there, and followed your instructions, but I received no serial number, and it still asks for one.
    That page mentions known issues with OSX Lion.
    Does Bryce 6.1 have those same issues?

Post edited by tenorlord on
    edited December 1969

I am not certain, but I would imagine so.

edited December 1969

Are there issues with Mountain Lion? (OSX 8)

edited December 1969

Yes same problems. Daz are hoping they can get Bryce to work under the newer OS Xs, but there is no date given on that.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

tenorlord said:
    Are there issues with Mountain Lion? (OSX 8)

From the Product Page:

There are known issues running under Mac OSX Lion. We do not recommend using this platform for Bryce 7.

edited November 2012

Jimmy, the OP has already discovered that, he did ask about Mountain Lion, which is the even newer version, but does have the same problems as far as Bryce is concerned, even though the product page only mentions Lion.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Opps - sorry, shouldn't have butted in :red:

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Provided I got it right, any Mac OS that does exclusively support the Intel processor won't run any Bryce version from 1. up to 7.1.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

tenorlord said:

OSX 10.7.5 (Lion)

Went there, and followed your instructions, but I received no serial number, and it still asks for one.
    That page mentions known issues with OSX Lion.
    Does Bryce 6.1 have those same issues?

Yes, unfortunately when Apple switched to OSX Lion they dropped a 3rd party emulator called Rosetta that basically allowed the newer OS to work with some coding based on an old motorola chipset that used to be in Macs but has since been replaced by intel. I'm not sure how far back that old motorola code goes but I believe it goes back to at least Bryce 5 if not all the way back to the original version of Bryce. So what that unfortunately means for Mac users is that there are only two options for using Bryce. Either get an older system capable of running the last OSX version before lion or use something like parallels to be able to run Windows on you Mac and then use that to run the windows version of Bryce.

I know neither solution is ideal but for now that's all there is aside from giving up on Bryce all together. Hopefully they will get it working in the future but there is no promised timeframe for when that might happen so it could be quite a while.

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Do we really need all these threads on the same subject? People, there IS a search button/link after all... Sorry but I can't even count the number of threads on this exact same subject I've seen in the couple months since I've been back here and it gets very old after a bit.

Maybe we need an up to date FAQ thread?

I really feel for all of the mac lion users out there, it would bother me to no end if the same thing happened to me but a little looking around will quickly reveal the answers you seek.

edited December 1969

It actually isn't quite the same GreyMouser69 as the OP was originally asking about Bryce 6.1.

edited December 1969

Looks like I'll have to go back to my old G4 and Bryce 5.
    The G4 is frozen into OSX 10.3 by audio software/hardware for it's primary function.
    I hope I didn't throw Bryce 5 away to make room on the drive!

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

No need to go back to Bryce5. Bryce 7 should work fine on your G4... Or at least I think it will, not sure I know anyone who's tried it. :)

edited December 1969

Due to the usual tendency towards "software bloat", Bryce 5 might run a bit faster.
    Is there some compelling reason to use B7? Some new trick or ability?

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

The IBL option in the skylab and the TA render options plus the increased range of different lights available immediately spring to mind.
    Even the TA render options between Bryce 7.X's last two versions are significantly improved, but yeah I would imagine 'bloat' has disadvantages too.
    I guess a lot depends on if you would be using Bryce to it's limits (setting up vast scenes with loads of complex materials, high poly counts and high res HRDI backdrops etc).
    I still run Bryce 6 on my old eMac (on the rare occasions it get's switched on)... I may have to try Bryce 7 on there too.

edited December 1969

Since I used to help train Naval aviators with Bryce, I end up doing video "fly-throughs", even when it's just my own stuff.

edited December 1969

I still use Bryce 5 a lot, even though I have 6 and 7.

BTW if you do have problem finding your old Bryce 5 disc, another thing to look at is whether you did actually take advantage of the DAZ 3D option to upgrade it to Br5.5. If you did and bought it through the store, then you will be able to reset the download, and CS will supply you with a working serial number for it, if you ask them nicely.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

tenorlord said:
    Due to the usual tendency towards "software bloat", Bryce 5 might run a bit faster.

The advancements made in lighting are the most compelling reasons. There are some other additions but they're kind of buggy like instancing and the bugginess makes it not so important. Beyond that I'm not sure.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

"Is there some compelling reason to use B7? Some new trick or ability?"

One thing I use all the time - the 10x in available illumination from the sun - used to go to 100 but now goes to 999. Bryce has great atmospherics but they often left the scene too dark but not anymore. Same with sunset/sunrise colored suns.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

tenorlord said:

If you seek "realistic" results then Bryce 7 is a better tool insofar as lighting is the most important part, and B7 has incredible lighting abilities. The good thing about B7 is that it still looks and behaves like B5. I find the Instancing in B7, while odd at first, has been a game changer allowing for the first time truly complex natural looking landscapes. Skies are more advanced in B7 allowing better sunlight, seperated cloud layers cumulus and stratus so different procedurals can be applied to each. Lights have both diffuse and specular intensity controls. The list goes on and on.

For me, there is no real need to go back to Bryce5. Bryce is generally far enough behind in features that even with the new stuff added since B5 its safe to say that B7 is far from bloated.
    Welcome back!

edited December 2014

I find myself trying to use Bryce 7 on a G4 mac with OS X 10.5, for some projects.
    I'm pretty sure I had it running on one of my computers: the interface that is displayed around this forum looks familiar.
    My old G4's main hard drive crashed and took everything with it.

Everything would be great if I had a serial number!
    I don't remember when I downloaded 7, or the circumstances, but I've checked my mail back past 2010 and can't find it there.
    How was I supposed to receive the serial number?

-Tenorlord

Post edited by tenorlord on
    edited December 2014

Have you checked your Account / My Serial Numbers?

If there is not serial number there You may have downloaded it form a 3rd party site (Cnet or Download.com) during the period when DAZ 3D were "selling" it at 100% discount.

Best thing to do is to contact DAZ 3D with a support ticket and explain this,

edited December 1969

Yes, I checked that excellent feature of this site, and it wasn't there.

But I do have news: I found an email dated Jan 27, 2010 from Academic Superstore in regard to Bryce 7.
    They sold it to me, but couldn't help me with my serial number problem.
    SO: Even when I bought it, I never got it to register properly.

Since it looks like it's only $20 now, perhaps I'll download it directly.

Is there any reason it wouldn't run on OSX 10.5?
    (PPC)

edited December 2014

No should be fine on 10.5, but I would still recommend a support ticket