File editing

ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
edited December 1969 in New Users

I remember a while back reading about a way to directly edit files for things like removing calls to unused morphs or pointing to the wrong directory. What programs can be used for this?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

If these are plaint text files, then any text editor should manage the job.

I use Notpad++, but most of the latest text editors will do.

What file types are you wanting to edit?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It depends on the file...

If it is a cr2, pp2, dsa, ds, etc any text editor will work (notepad, but it is very limited...Notepad++ is a favorite alternative)

If it is an uncompressed dsf/duf, the same thing, any text editor.

If it is a compressed dsf/duf, it will need to be decompressed or edited within DS. This also goes for any compressed Poser files (ppz, etc)...decompressed first. Something like the command line version of 7zip should work to decompress the files. Or there is a way to do it from within DS (for Daz format files) or Poser.

Another way, but one that isn't very easy...for Windows, is to use a text editor that can edit compressed files on the fly. The setup usually involves setting up the text editor, because I haven't found one that doesn't have to use some sort of plugin that needs to be configured before it will work (that's where the complexity lies).

Also for DS there is the DSFToolbox.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Trying to fix a duf. Attempted to use Notepad++ but it was a scrambled mess. For this specific instance I'm trying to make a dial spun character preset but I only want to add the face morphs. Can't find any other info on options for doing this outside of just outright removing the "zeroed" parts since I'd like to be able add it onto any body without reverting things. Plus, I have an automatic joint fix installed that seems to be getting called as well.

edited December 1969

Ah, my post didn't come through until after but that info should be useful. Thank you.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You can uncompress a DUF file by using WinRar or WinZip or any of the free versions as well. I just drop it on the WinRar icon, and I get the plain text DUF file.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited November 2012

ZamuelNow said:
    Trying to fix a duf. Attempted to use Notepad++ but it was a scrambled mess. For this specific instance I'm trying to make a dial spun character preset but I only want to add the face morphs. Can't find any other info on options for doing this outside of just outright removing the "zeroed" parts since I'd like to be able add it onto any body without reverting things. Plus, I have an automatic joint fix installed that seems to be getting called as well.

If your saving as a Character preset then you don't have much choice, as it's coded to either load a fresh Genesis with the settings in the preset, or replace the selected Genesis with a fresh one using the settings in the preset, so there isn't anything in the DUF you can remove with a text editor to fix this.

Your best bet is a shaping preset, as you can select which modifiers are recorded into it, that way you can mix & match morphs without wiping out the other settings.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
    edited December 1969

I guess that begs the question: What are the pros and cons of using a Character Preset or a Shaping Preset? I'm assuming shaping would be limited to what's on the Shaping tab while character has the overwriting issues but I could be wrong on that.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

My understanding, and it may be limited or 'off', is that Character presets are for complete characters...where you've set up everything, face, body, etc. And want it to load as a complete unit.

And Shaping presets are for 'parts'.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

A character preset saves both shape and materials, a shape preset saves only shape.

edited December 1969

Testing things out, it looks like a shaping preset is exactly what I was needing. Thank you, everyone. I'll still note the other info since it's still good information to have.