Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

foleypro said:

I cant seem to Isolate sections and use the Frizz or Clumping on the Highlighted area's it seems to only work on the whole mesh....Or am I missing something obvious...?

So you create a new control texture in the paint workspace where you want the clump to be active (white = full active/ black = full disable) and set that texture in the texture menu of the clump deformers strength settings?
    edited December 1969

just a quick one to ask if you can think about a horizontal flip control for the curves... this would be great for asymetrical styles to have them easily available as mirrored styles.

I'm not sure what you mean. Symetry will not be a part of Garibaldi Express version 1.
    No new features are planned for version 1, the priority is to make sure existing features work well and the product is stable.
    edited December 1969

ecocam said:

Here is a very simple scene with genesis and a basic garibaldi hair. Some details in the txt and jpg files included

This has been fixed for the next beta version.
  • BrumitDBrumitD Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

I have really enjoyed trying the plugin, and found it fairly easy to use. Still learning how to do things, but couldn't resist rendering a cat-girl.

cortigra1bsa.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 476K
  • riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

BrumitD said:
    I have really enjoyed trying the plugin, and found it fairly easy to use. Still learning how to do things, but couldn't resist rendering a cat-girl.

That's beautiful. I've played around with doing some full-body fur, but I haven't done anything I'd want to share yet. Finding time to do anything creative lately has been difficult, but so far my experience with the beta has been positive. I'm looking forward to the official release of this.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072
    edited December 1969

Now I've insalled and uninstalled a few times and my 4.5 does not show the script to even get this started. I Do have the files added for the three styles, which imports with the model as well and can be rendered, but beyond that I really can't do much. There isn't information in the download files, and I've tried going through the site for the video tutorials. I'm not a new player to this game, but I'm frustrated and 31 pages of information (that I am still going through) can be daunting. I will keep trying, but I can't open the script to get this to work at the moment.

I don't want to appear lazy and just asking, but I hoped maybe someone would take pity and give me a hint. ;)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If you can import and render the samples, the plugin is working...

If it isn't showing up in the Edit or Create menus (on my system is is the last line in both Edit and Create), try changing your layout to something else and then back again...some versions (system setups) of 4.x have problems updating menus/layouts.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

If it isn't showing up in the Edit or Create menus (on my system is is the last line in both Edit and Create), try changing your layout to something else and then back again...some versions (system setups) of 4.x have problems updating menus/layouts.

Great idea. It's rendering now, so I will check the Edit/Create option (which I just ran across on one of the thread's pages) and see if that layout change works!

THANK YOU. :D

• picsoleropicsolero Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Could anybody explain to me how to load a texture map for the colors into Garibaldi please!

My naive expectation would be that Garibaldi presents me with a file dialog to choose one if I click or double-click into the frame next to "texture". But neither of that is actually happening.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Now that I've had an evening off, I set up two basic spotlights and did some playing with Genesis so as to avoid any incompatibilities with older characters. Here's the report...

Technical difficulties:

1. I'm on Vista SP2 32 bit, I run DS as admin. Unfortunately, I can't get disc cache to work at all - instant crashes to desktop on clicking "render" if it's enabled. Doesn't even offer me a chance to save a bug report.
    2. As soon as the bucket hits a surface with raytraced AO or even raytraced reflection - the renderer generates a memory error and quits immediately. Max raytrace depth is set to 1. I think SSS does not create this error, but I gotta test again to make sure.

I also need to try using the plugin at work where I have 64bit Vista and 4 GB memory and see if it solves the issues I'm running into with my scenes at home.

User experience:

I am slowly getting the hang of the brush tool, but I can't seem to understand the relationship between style guides and final hair curves. In this render, when I look at the style guides, I can't quite see where the puff on her crown comes from and why the hair drapes over her ears...

I also would like to say I agree with those folks who requested a "root lifter" tool =)

longerlayers1.jpg
    618 x 800 - 100K
    styleguides.png
    1008 x 727 - 248K
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Here I put fur on a sash from Bobby25 Royal Prince outfit. I am on the latest Beta .... I do get Daz Studio abend when I go back and try to change either fur color... tip or base... it crashes after I close the color selection box. It was one of those security access violations but not sure for what... I opened up Daz Studio and the Daz project library to full access. Tried it several times ... same abend.

m4_bobby25_Royal_Prince_Fur_Sash.jpg
    899 x 880 - 259K
  • edited December 1969

User experience:

I am slowly getting the hang of the brush tool, but I can't seem to understand the relationship between style guides and final hair curves. In this render, when I look at the style guides, I can't quite see where the puff on her crown comes from and why the hair drapes over her ears...

I think it happens when you have guides in close proximity that are combed in opposite directions. As hair is populated around the guides, some hair is generated between the guides and ends up sticking up instead of following any one guide. I think this can be controlled somehow with the "auto parting" setting. Although you seem to have different hair groups so I'm not sure why that would happen in that case.

• JeadorJeador Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Are there any tutes..preferably vids..on how to use Garibaldi? Dying to try it but not sure how to start. Thanks. Jackie

• edited December 1969

Jeador said:
    Are there any tutes..preferably vids..on how to use Garibaldi? Dying to try it but not sure how to start. Thanks. Jackie

There's a video that shows the basics.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:

User experience:

I think it happens when you have guides in close proximity that are combed in opposite directions. As hair is populated around the guides, some hair is generated between the guides and ends up sticking up instead of following any one guide. I think this can be controlled somehow with the "auto parting" setting. Although you seem to have different hair groups so I'm not sure why that would happen in that case.

This isn't quite correct.

Hair is populated in the paint area and guides are generated on the vertices. If you paint a small area that is fully contained in one polygon, you will find all the hair generated in the painted area with 4 guides surrounding it and none within the hair group. Each of the 4 guides will have influence over the all the hair with the guide closest to any particular hair(s) having more influence that the guides that are further away.

These types of puff are usually dealt with by "auto parting". Auto parting causes the guides to have a stronger influence on the hair and seems to divide them up as to which guide is going to control which hairs in the polygon. A value between 90 and 100 seems to give best results.

The image he has shown has to be one hair group since Garibaldi can ony deal with one group at a time. It would appear that all the hair in the "face" zone has been selected and combed forward while the hair in the "head" zone is currenly unselected and combed back. In this case, auto parting should tame the puff.

• edited December 1969

Gone, thanks for clarifying that for me. I had some general idea what "auto parting" was for but not how to effectively use it. I'll have to try your setting to see if that tames the puffs.

• JeadorJeador Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jeador said:

OK. Thanks a lot.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

You were right, changing my set-up worked. Again, much thanks.

edited November 2012

I took one of the examples with the program to start with in learning how to tweak, fiddle, and generally move and change things before starting to make it from scratch. When I attempted to save the hair, didn't work. When I attempted to save the scene I got an error and Studio crashed.

Just piddling, so ignore the character flaws- and I noticed as it rendered I must have pulled the hair over or didn't fit it to Genesis Male's head well enough since there's a space at the left side of his skull.

hair_one.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 511K
    hair_error.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 290K
    Post edited by DarwinsMishap on
  • foleyprofoleypro Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

I took one of the examples with the program to start with in learning how to tweak, fiddle, and generally move and change things before starting to make it from scratch. When I attempted to save the hair, didn't work. When I attempted to save the scene I got an error and Studio crashed.

Just piddling, so ignore the character flaws- and I noticed as it rendered I must have pulled the hair over or didn't fit it to Genesis Male's head well enough since there's a space at the left side of his skull.

Yes I had the same Problems...
    I had to save thru the Pic I supplied...See if this works for You...

DS4.5DP_.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 199K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Finally...

With the latest Beta, upgrading DS to 64 bit (yes, DS 64 bit is working rather nicely in Wine 1.5.14 and later...except 1.5.17....) I was able to not only not crash while editing, but get a render

finally.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 563K
  • StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Used three different Garibaldi Hair nodes for this one.....one for the facial hair, a second for the lower, shorter hair, and a third for the longer upper part. Still learning to utilize the specular, diffuse and ocular settings that comes with Garibaldi within Daz 4.5.....Only post work was adding reflection maps to eyes and upping color contrast and sharpness......

Garibaldi_Male_Model_Wild_Final.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 521K
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

My attempt to mimic the V5 ponytail.

GaribaldiHair.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 793K
  • Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    Firstly I must say I absolutely love this plugin. I downloaded it today out of curiosity and I'm sold!
    Thank you for bringing hair and fur to Daz Studio in such a straight forward way.

I'm not sure if its a noted issue but I did notice some crazy activity sometimes when I extend the length of the hair and immediately apply more curve to the hair, I have attached a screenshot of how the hair appeared in the Daz Studio preview window. The hair was fairly uniform before it went crazy.

Of course it just could be beginners error :D Im using the Mac 64bit version.

Strangely I liked the way it made this teddy bear appear kind of old and well loved.
    This one rendered in less than half an hour with Uber environment set to max, a linear point light and spotlight both with Deep shadows applied.

See Bottom Pic.

Fantastic work on this!

Teddy-Bear.jpg
    800 x 776 - 126K
    Crazyhair-Daz.jpg
    600 x 523 - 66K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Razor 42 said:
    Hi,
    Firstly I must say I absolutely love this plugin. I downloaded it today out of curiosity and I'm sold!
    Thank you for bringing hair and fur to Daz Studio in such a straight forward way.

I'm not sure if its a noted issue but I did notice some crazy activity sometimes when I extend the length of the hair and immediately apply more curve to the hair, I have attached a screenshot of how the hair appeared in the Daz Studio preview window. The hair was fairly uniform before it went crazy.

Of course it just could be beginners error :D Im using the Mac 64bit version.

Strangely I liked the way it made this teddy bear appear kind of old and well loved.
    This one rendered in less than half an hour with Uber environment set to max, a linear point light and spotlight both with Deep shadows applied.

See Bottom Pic.

Fantastic work on this!

Love, love, love it!

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Razor 42 said:

Aww this is beyond cute!!

--snip--
    The image he has shown has to be one hair group since Garibaldi can ony deal with one group at a time. It would appear that all the hair in the "face" zone has been selected and combed forward while the hair in the "head" zone is currenly unselected and combed back. In this case, auto parting should tame the puff.

Thank you guys, I should try the auto-part setting! Just in case, this particular style was indeed built on a single hair node as an experiment in using selection lists. Using multiple nodes has its own advantages and disadvantages. I'd say combining several nodes is useful when you want a style with drastically different lengths since we don't have a "clippers" tool. Otherwise a single node with selection lists means no hassle with aligning density maps.

edited December 1969

1. I'm on Vista SP2 32 bit, I run DS as admin. Unfortunately, I can't get disc cache to work at all - instant crashes to desktop on clicking "render" if it's enabled. Doesn't even offer me a chance to save a bug report.
    2. As soon as the bucket hits a surface with raytraced AO or even raytraced reflection - the renderer generates a memory error and quits immediately. Max raytrace depth is set to 1. I think SSS does not create this error, but I gotta test again to make sure.

Are you using beta 7 with the disk caching?
    Does it render ok without raytracing? Asking for ambient occlusion and raytraced reflection with complex geometry in 2GB of RAM plus all the overhead processes might be asking a little to much...
    Not that it helps, but RAM pricing is now down below $5usd per GB.
    edited November 2012

MrPoser said:
    it crashes after I close the color selection box.

Noted, I'll add it to the list of things to look into... Has worked ok in testing so far for me.
    Post edited by futurebiscuit on
    edited December 1969

Jeador said:

For all those waiting on better documentation...
    As well as the constant bug fixing, improvements and optimizations, we are now in the progress of producing some in depth written documentation which should be available soon.
    edited December 1969

...I noticed as it rendered I must have pulled the hair over or didn't fit it to Genesis Male's head well enough since there's a space at the left side of his skull.

Can you check that the 'Parent Geometry' parameter on the garibaldi hair node is set to the correct geo?
    I have a strong suspicion of why it crashed, I'll add it to the list of things.
This discussion has been closed.