Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited November 2012

something I had the computer work on while ideas are perculating around.

hmm this looked alot different on my laptop when I did it.

wave-action2.jpg
    1514 x 855 - 148K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

A quick render of another Mac user whinging that Bryce won't work on Mountain Lion. :cheese:

I did do a less noisy version too but the grit helps I think, so I went with this one.

Kong-Wide-Lighting.jpg
    1000 x 630 - 385K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@David

I have no experience with HDRI and so the first result is very bad but the rendertime very high.

EilandInTheGlasHDRI_1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 574K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    @David

I have no experience with HDRI and so the first result is very bad but the rendertime very high.

Judging by your results (which on one level look good - the reflections on the glass - but obviously noisy) you have a mix of HDRI and TA effects. This if not handled carefully will result in huge render times. I have covered any number of ways to get around this issue in my tutorials, so I won't belabour you with the details.

For the kind of scene you have. HDRI image being used as a background only (so no effect or specular output). And use regular rendering mode. Re-enable the sun as your primary light-source. And perhaps provide another couple of radials to compliment that. Will result in much lower render times and still give very good results on the glass.

edited December 1969

Bryce 7.1 Pro render(s)

Thanks to help from Dwsel... well I hope I have improved the quality of the skin!

Vicky Tori with Bubblegum hair.

The hair was a big problem, due to the transparency not having access to the multicore the renderer fell over on it's back and expired when it hit that. So I resorted to splitting the render into parts and masking. The skin is rendered at 256 RPP the hair shadow 64 RPP with TA obscure lighting and direct lighting and the hair itself in regular. And then reassembled in PSP8. The high noise areas in the hair shadow render I smoothed out - seemed to help a bit overall.

Mesh smoothing issues abound on the shoulders and there is some problem with the mask for the eyelashes.

Bryce lacks SSS in the materials/render - directly anyway. It can be faked. http://davidbrinnen.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d5glhux but the render time would be prohibitive.

Better/worse what do you reckon?

Skin_test_combined_hair.jpg
    850 x 850 - 173K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Nice - but I really would turn smoothing on - those shoulders are looking like she broke her bones and the ends are trying to stick through her skin.

edited November 2012

Kerya said:
    Nice - but I really would turn smoothing on - those shoulders are looking like she broke her bones and the ends are trying to stick through her skin.

Smoothing is on. This is the "dread" mesh smoothing issue that makes curvature filtering such a problem. Beyond certain angles the system breaks down. If you have any means to get around this bug I would really appreciate your answer.

Edit. Just retested to be certain - even with a mesh smooth angle of 180 the issue remains.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Sorry!
    Are you using the Bridge to port Genesis over? You will only get the lowpoly version there.
    *wanders off to search for the thread she remembers*
    *wanders in again*
    Rashads explanation:
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=179314

edited November 2012

Kerya said:
    Sorry!
    Are you using the Bridge to port Genesis over? You will only get the lowpoly version there.
    *wanders off to search for the thread she remembers*
    *wanders in again*
    Rashads explanation:
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=179314

Thank you indeed! Yes I spent a while yesterday evening trying to root out Rashad's threads on this topic. I didn't realise it had already sunk into the archive. Forums are good at hiding things we need. I knew Rashad had made the most progress with skin in Bryce so I was keen to catch up on what he had to say. OK I'll give that a read and see where it takes me.

Mostly I'm concerned though with skin quality at present. And render times with various lighting. I'm not really a DS user and certainly not a power user so that is going place limitations on what I can ultimately do. But the idea is not for me to do it, but to find out if it is doable. Efficiently in Bryce. I'm happy to let others grind away in DS!

Yes it is a Genesis figure I think... Tori V5 genesis? I picked up a Vicky bundle during the sale since my other figures were getting a bit long in the tooth I imagined that newer would be better...

Edit: How do I get to see this image?

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited November 2012

How do I get to see this image

David...you have to really thank Chohole on how to do so (italics and coloured purple below) - posted some time back in the old forum. I put her comments into my save folder as I knew at times I would use it in the future.

However unfortunately the images don’t show up in the archinved forum, although they as still there. You will see just an HTML image tag.like this postimages/image_1_3414701.jpg

If you take postimages/origimage_1_3414701.jpg and add it to http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/ you will then get http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/postimages/origimage_1_3414701.jpg which then shows the image which you can then save to your PC.

BTW...skin in the model above looks great. It looks like she's just come out of a sauna or a shower, else, the expression on her face suggests something else may be going on ;)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    How do I get to see this image

David...you have to really thank Chohole on how to (italics and coloured purple below), which some time back she posted the below method for seeing the images. I put her coment into my save folder as I knew at times I wanted to see images in the old forum

However unfortunately the images don’t show up in the archinved forum, although they as still there. You will see just an HTML image tag.like this postimages/image_1_3414701.jpg

If you take postimages/origimage_1_3414701.jpg and add it to http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/ you will then get http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/postimages/origimage_1_3414701.jpg which then shows the image which you can then save to your PC.

Jay

Super! Snagged it! Thanks Jay, and by proxy Pam. OK maybe now I will be able to untangle this issue. Cheers!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

David, my opinion only, but that skin looks a little too plastic for my taste. Hven't played with this for ages, but this was one of my experiments

ryan_older.jpg
    540 x 720 - 71K
    edited November 2012

Thank you for the feedback Pam, yes I am missing SSS. That is the cause... in a way, your softer approach disguises the lack of SSS, but I very much want a high contrast lighting environment.

Edit. Another test

Skin_test2_with_skin5_applied.jpg
    850 x 850 - 189K
    edited December 1969

I think now it looks better, but without regular shadows. The render time is the same. I don´t understand it, but i´m new in hdri.

EilandInTheGlas3.jpg
    750 x 500 - 228K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Thanks for the explanation. I first saw you VW image and didn't see the fireflies until I looked at the larger image. The smaller image gives them a pebble look. Hope we see the image without the fireflies. And did someone run over the foot of that big guy. He does look a bit ticked off. That one looks very good as well.

@David: Tori in the boat has much better looking skin color. The image afterwards looks more like a sculpture due to more angular areas. And the last one makes me wonder if her back isn't broken. Or something is wrong with her upper back. As to Tori with her eyes closed, like Chohole said, looks to plastic--which was my thought before reading her post.

@mermaid: Those are great looking cubes. And very blue. :-) Nice job.

@Jay: That small image doesn't do your work justice. I couldn't see all the detail but didn't have that trouble when I enlarged the image. That's a fabulous image.

@Rareth: The setting sun looks good, if a bit more dark orange/pink then it should be. Still, looking from the back of a boat, Ahhhhh, another beautiful day ends.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Dawn

dawn.jpg
    796 x 692 - 270K
    edited November 2012

Finally got around to doing that render I was hinting at last week.

Still working on it, but here is the WIP

Bryce-Pack-Full-Set-2.jpg
    2000 x 1361 - 2M
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OOh I am liking that.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited November 2012

Guss...thanks, and yes, I hate the damn image-reduction setup (necessary, I suppose?).

Bigh...like the Deer silhouette...very nice.

Savage...okay, you've sold me..where do I buy? :) Does it come with batteries included?

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Guss...thanks, and yes, I hate the damn image-reduction setup (necessary, I suppose?).

Bigh...like the Deer silhouette...very nice.

Savage...okay, you've sold me..where do I buy? :) Does it come with batteries included?

Jay

thank you :-)

• dyretdyret Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

That is fantastic work TheSavage64!

edited December 1969

Deep in the glass.

DeepInTheGlas.jpg
    750 x 500 - 181K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@bigh: That is a really nice image. Well done.

@Dave: And why isn't the box included? Where are we suppose to store all that stuff? Of all the modeling you've shown, I think this one might be one of the best yet. That is a very nice job. Ever think about doing tutorials?

@Roland: I'm jealous. Every time I try making glass it ends up looking like all the rejects that get remelted. It's the main reason I shy away from glass. How do you get such nice looking glass? Secrets, please.

edited November 2012

GussNemo said:
    @Roland: I'm jealous. Every time I try making glass it ends up looking like all the rejects that get remelted. It's the main reason I shy away from glass. How do you get such nice looking glass? Secrets, please.

I model the glass with Blender. It is very easy. The glas-material is from the installed in Bryce without any changes. But glass need much render time, and please remember: glas is like a mirror, if nothing is reflected in it then it does not look realistic !
    Look at the picture above and say me what is behind the camera and reflected in the empty glass.

Post edited by Roland4 on
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @bigh: That is a really nice image. Well done.

@Dave: And why isn't the box included? Where are we suppose to store all that stuff? Of all the modeling you've shown, I think this one might be one of the best yet. That is a very nice job. Ever think about doing tutorials?

thank you :-)

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

David Brinnen,

I am assuming you sent a Genesis over to Bryce 7 via the Bridge. There is some sort of bug or deliberate limitation, not sure which, that locks Genesis into the base resolution when sent over the bridge regardless of the smoothing setting applied in DS. This is the reason for the highly angular shoulders and other corners, which admittedly are a little distracting. The Bridge workaround is the only way to export a Genesis at a proper resolution. If you don't recall the details of it I can look it up for you. I have about a dozen Genesis models I've exported out of DS 4.5 for use in Bryce that I swap around between.

Getting a proper resolution starting mesh is essential. The overall illusion benefits greatly from smooth polygonal edges.

The skin itself is very challenging and not a subject I feel confident on myself. I like the color you've gotten, the specular could probably be reduced considerably, bump needs to break up the specular a bit. There is a sort of bump/specular dance that occurs. Anisotropy is good for skin. Metallicity is good for making a skin appear to have make-up on it, since many of them have metallic properties. I've also found it useful to use roughly double the specular intensity vs diffuse intensity in the light settings when working with cluster light forms. But different rules apply when working with TA obviously.

So much of the final look of skin is determined by the source texture itself. Try to work with only the best textures, the Elite textures are a good starting place. I am currently building my own texture sets from scratch but I dont yet have anything worthy of display.

Savage64,
    Fantastic beach render once again. The TA does a nice job. I think the black is not necessarily from fireflies of TA. I wonder if Reflection Correction has been enabled in your render options? Without it surfaces can at times gather total blackness, but Reflection Correction fixes that.Worth a shot anyway.

The Bryce Goodies are just yummy looking!!!

I seriously love everything you render. Very polished results time after time. Bravo indeed.

Bigh,
    Very nice, kind and warm. Like a storybook cover.

Roland
    Looking great. Swapping in a more dynamic hdri did the trick. Love the concept and the implementation of the idea.

For the water glass I'd say you should place a torus around the lip of the glass to make it appear more drinkable like a rounded edge. Also, the liquid in the glass on the right needs to have it's bump limited only to the top. Change the mapping mode to World Top or Object Top so that there are no ripples along the vertical sides of the glass.

Rareth,
    Great looking water!!

Chohole
    He looks quite natural. I like the look of the weight of the flesh in the morphing. Nice to see someone not in their 20's.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 455
    edited December 1969

A Pic I did for Tweety and her kid from Playing online Game Day of Defeat Tweety is in the HAT(Here's a Tissue)Clan...
    I am getting this Dragon and Rider as a Tatoo on my Right fore arm in the next week or so..Alll looking 3D from my artwork....

Tweety.jpg
    576 x 768 - 218K
    edited December 1969

" Bigh,
    Very nice, kind and warm. Like a storybook cover. "

Thank you :-)

edited November 2012

Thanks chaps and chapesses. :)

Jay: No need to buy, it's still free innit? :cheese:
    You may need batteries to get some of the lights to work though.

Guss: I just thought the concept of a box full if goodies with no box was amusing. :cheese:
    Me do tutorials? I can't see that happening (see my signature).
    The truth is that my work is mostly trail and error (with lots of error) and the Bryce Package itself (for instance) utilised a lot of Poser (the model started life as a Poser model), Photoshop (to make the design to apply to the model) and the rest was nothing more than some simple boolean modelling and tweaking of materials.

Rashad: Thanks. David was right about the inverted thingy in the model, as soon as I'd tracked it down and smoothed that mesh, the fireflies disappeared... sadly I haven't been able to open the Beetle on the Beach file to update it because for some reason (I suspect memory related), it's crashing Bryce out when I try to open it.

Today as I've been promising myself I'd find time to play catch up with Davids tutorials and I thought I'd have a look at this 'Obscure Lighting' of which I know nothing about but have liked the results David has been getting, I've been trying to set up a good V4 model to use.
    I rarely use people in Bryce because they need too much knocking into shape when imported, but I thought I'd make the extra effort for this (especially since skin seems to be another topic being explored recently).
    I've drawn a complete blank with the eye lashes which didn't import the trans map and because picture import is broken, I'd have to open the model up in the slightly older version of Bryce to manually import the picture to fix it (which I'll maybe do later).

But for now, she's looking good... Here's a duotone (vintage look) render.

SexyV4.jpg
    300 x 620 - 71K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Well it's taken a few hours just to get the eye lashes right.

I tried opening the document up in the slightly older version of Bryce 7 but it just told me that none of the 100 or so objects were there and I had to sit clicking the OK button for about 5 minutes... as it listed them one at a time.

... Plan B: I mapped the lash pic onto a primitive cube in Poser and exported the cube as an .obj.
    Then I imported the cube along with it's mapped texture and of course it's then available in the picture library to apply to the lashes.

I don't know if I dare add the trans map to the hair next... I hear it makes Bryce grind to a halt processing all the transparency.
    From a distance it doesn't look too bad as it is.

SexyV4Close.jpg
    300 x 620 - 155K
This discussion has been closed.